Driver version 91.31 "Taskbar Icon"

Old June 25th 06, 06:54 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia

Default Driver version 91.31 "Taskbar Icon"

Just installed the new nvidia drivers version 91.31 and I cannot get rid of
the taskbar icon. Using the classic view for the control panel, I select
tools and uncheck enable taskbar icon, and then click apply. When I reboot,
the taskbar icon is back, and the enable taskbar icon checkbox is checked
again in the control panel. How do I make it go away?

Old June 25th 06, 10:10 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia

Try running REGEDIT and check the usual autostart locations, e.g.

HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

If you see an entry for the utility that starts Nvidia's taskbar icon,
put a semicolon at the start of the key value (this will prevent it
from running, even though the key will still be present).

Also check for a Service which does the same thing, and if you
find one, disable it.

Old June 25th 06, 03:08 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia

On Sun, 25 Jun 2006 07:01:38 -0700, "Greg" wrote:

There is nothing listed in these registry locations that start the nvidia's
taskbar icon!

There is, but it won't work to get rid of it. The drivers
reinstall it at reboot. It's like malware. This is Nvidia's attempt to
pimp their SLI to you whether you want it, or not.
Old June 28th 06, 03:13 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia

nVidia's support page mentions the popup and indicates it is an error
that will be fixed in the next update. They also have a workaround
that will hide the popup. I love all of these stupid conspiracy
theories.

Old June 28th 06, 04:07 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia

Kerplunk wrote:
nVidia's support page mentions the popup and indicates it is an error
that will be fixed in the next update. They also have a workaround
that will hide the popup. I love all of these stupid conspiracy
theories.

What I really love is that it spawns a half dozen separate threads from
people who post before they read.