[Slightly OT] Disabling on-board sound...

Old November 8th 03, 02:26 PM
Tin-Char D'un

Default [Slightly OT] Disabling on-board sound...

Hi peeps, I don't s'pose anyone can offer some pointers on disabling the
on-board sound in an ASUS A7N266-VM mobo?? I had a poke around and there are
no jumpers... there's some stuff in the BIOS that seems vaguely pertinant
but it doesn't seem to have too much of an effect. Device manager (Windows
XP Pro) still picks up all the audio features... Any clues?

Cheers,
Dave.

--
The Jedi Code -
"There is no emotion; There is peace.

Old November 8th 03, 09:27 PM
Peter van der Goes

"Tin-Char D'un" wrote in message
Hi peeps, I don't s'pose anyone can offer some pointers on disabling the
on-board sound in an ASUS A7N266-VM mobo?? I had a poke around and there

are
no jumpers... there's some stuff in the BIOS that seems vaguely pertinant
but it doesn't seem to have too much of an effect. Device manager (Windows
XP Pro) still picks up all the audio features... Any clues?

Cheers,
Dave.

--
The Jedi Code -
"There is no emotion; There is peace.
There is no ignorance; There is knowledge
There is no passion; There is serenity.
There is no death; There is the Force."

A guess. Did you load the OBS drivers? If so, try uninstalling them and
disabling anything in the BIOS related to sound. I'm not familiar with your
motherboard model, and don't know what chipset it uses, but some BIOSes have
two or more settings related to sound that must be disabled to shut it down.
Check the BIOS section of your mobo manual.

Old November 9th 03, 03:03 AM
Gene Puhl

"Tin-Char D'un" astounded us with:
:

Hi peeps, I don't s'pose anyone can offer some pointers on disabling the
on-board sound in an ASUS A7N266-VM mobo?? I had a poke around and there
are no jumpers... there's some stuff in the BIOS that seems vaguely
pertinant but it doesn't seem to have too much of an effect. Device
manager (Windows XP Pro) still picks up all the audio features... Any
clues?

Cheers,
Dave.

In the BIOS, goto advanced/chip configuration/MCP Audio controller.
/AUTO/ENABLED/DISABLED.
Why would you want to disable it? Dolby Digital 6 channel...

--
Gene P
Old November 9th 03, 04:44 PM
Tin-Char D'un

"Gene Puhl" wrote in message
"Tin-Char D'un" astounded us with:
:

Hi peeps, I don't s'pose anyone can offer some pointers on disabling the
on-board sound in an ASUS A7N266-VM mobo?? I had a poke around and there
are no jumpers... there's some stuff in the BIOS that seems vaguely
pertinant but it doesn't seem to have too much of an effect. Device
manager (Windows XP Pro) still picks up all the audio features... Any
clues?

Cheers,
Dave.

In the BIOS, goto advanced/chip configuration/MCP Audio controller.
/AUTO/ENABLED/DISABLED.
Why would you want to disable it? Dolby Digital 6 channel...

--
Gene P

It's not my computer, it's a friends. He's just bought a Soundblaster Audigy
2 and wants me to fit it. I've disabled anything that resembles sound
devices in the BIOS, including the one you mentioned, and these things still
show up in device manager...

Old November 10th 03, 12:30 PM
rstlne

"Gene Puhl" wrote in message
[...]

There is also a digital output choice in the bios I think, did you disable
it?..
There is no need to disable it as the OS should allow you to choose the
output device