TV Cards - Did you know?

Old February 3rd 04, 03:50 PM
Bagpuss

On Tue, 3 Feb 2004 15:33:42 -0000, "Malcolm Knight"
wrote:

"Bagpuss" wrote in message
.. .
On Tue, 3 Feb 2004 07:53:12 -0000, "Malcolm Knight"
wrote:

"Paul Hopwood" wrote in message
.. .
Parish wrote:

Is this info on their website? I find it very hard to believe

that
the
TVL people (who are a wholly-owned money-making subsiduary of

HMG)

The TV Licensing Authority is actually a wholly-owned

money-making
subsidiary of the BBC. Whether this qualifies as a subsidiary of
HMG
is somewhat debatable! ;-)

Not true. If they send you an email it comes from an @capita.co.uk
address.

Who owns capita?

It's a publicly quoted company responsible for implementing far too
many failed government initiatives. You can own a chunk of it by
approaching your stock broker. :-)

Apparently they were voted business of the year last year. (look at
their web site).
Old February 3rd 04, 04:16 PM
Nick J.

Parish wrote:

Fishman wrote:

So, if say you bought a TV card from PC World, paid cash and they did not
request your details, an offence has been commited.

You know, while I've been following this thread something sounds
familiar about it and I've just remembered that I bought my TV card from
PC World in Bath and paid cash (I'd sold a couple of HDs to a colleague)
and I also remember being asked for my name and address once in PCW (can
they get your address from a CC transaction?). Although I can't remember
it being when I bought the TV card it would seem reasonable based on this.

I'm racking my brains trying to think what I did 'coz I sure as hell
wouldn't have told them as I would expect them to use it for sending
junk mail and my reaction if they told me it was for the TVL people I'd
probably say that whether I had a TV Licence or not was none of their
business. Maybe the till jockey had already taken my money and given me
my receipt, in which case I would just have walked out; if not I'd
probably have given my work address.

If they don't tell you the purpose of their data-gathering exercise, surely
they are in breach of the DPA? When I was asked for my details why buying a
TV card (many years ago), it was for the "warranty". After telling me this,
surely passing the information on to TV-L would not be compliant with the rules?

This was in Dixons. Unsurprisingly.

--
Now playing: Easyworld - Second Amendment [206kbps]
Old February 3rd 04, 04:33 PM
Malcolm Knight

"Bagpuss" wrote in message
On Tue, 3 Feb 2004 15:33:42 -0000, "Malcolm Knight"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

"Paul Hopwood" wrote in message
.. .

The TV Licensing Authority is actually a wholly-owned

money-making
subsidiary of the BBC. Whether this qualifies as a subsidiary

of
HMG
is somewhat debatable! ;-)

Not true. If they send you an email it comes from an

@capita.co.uk
address.

Who owns capita?

It's a publicly quoted company responsible for implementing far too
many failed government initiatives. You can own a chunk of it by
approaching your stock broker. :-)

Apparently they were voted business of the year last year. (look at
their web site).

I did to make sure of my facts before posting. :-)

Of course it's quite possible to make a lot of money and please
investors by screwing tax payers. Same company that Livingstone has
criticised for poor management of the London congestion charge. Heard
him on the radio only yesterday saying if they failed to meet their
targets by end of March they'd be out on their ear. Pity we have to
wait until May to do the same to Ken.
--
Malcolm

Old February 3rd 04, 05:04 PM
Parish

Nick J. wrote:
Parish wrote:

Fishman wrote:

[...]

I would have thought that HMG's tax collectors would transcend anything
designed to protect the common (wo)man.

Cynical? Who, me? Never! :-)

This was in Dixons. Unsurprisingly.

Old February 3rd 04, 07:58 PM
Paul Hopwood

"Malcolm Knight" wrote:

The TV Licensing Authority is actually a wholly-owned money-making
subsidiary of the BBC. Whether this qualifies as a subsidiary of

HMG
is somewhat debatable! ;-)

Not true. If they send you an email it comes from an @capita.co.uk
address.

Yes true!

Capita are a BPO company engaged by the TV Licensing Authority to
manage some of their processes.

--
iv Paul iv

Old February 3rd 04, 08:05 PM
Paul Hopwood

Tom Ruben wrote:

I don't own a TV and thus have no TV license. At one point I had
threaten legal action for harassment before they'd stop writing and
visiting. I still get a letter about once a year.

Looks as though I am getting off lightly. I haven't had a TV for four
or five years. I get a letter about once a year saying they need to
confirm my current situation, and that they will visit me shortly. So
far they haven't shown up.

They've been hassling me on and off for years. I've owned a TV for
less than one year out of the last ten, during which time I had a
license

For some reason they seem incapable of grasping the fact that not
everyone is incapable of functioning without devoting time staring at
a box in the corner churning out sh*te programming and commercials!
Um, hang on, the Internet is pretty much the same and I'm incapable of
functioning without it. ;-)

--
iv Paul iv

Old February 7th 04, 02:40 PM
Steve

"Craven Birds" wrote in
:

"Steve" wrote in message
"Craven Birds" wrote in
:

"Fishman" wrote in message
Did you know that it is illegal for a dealer to supply a TV card
and not record the buyers name and address and then pass this
information on to
the
TV Licencing authority within 28 days?

Similiar applies if as a dealer, you sell a PC with a TV card
installed - new or secondhand.

Information extracted from:
http://www.tv-l.co.uk/index_frameset.html Section :- TV Dealer
Information

So, if say you bought a TV card from PC World, paid cash and they
did not request your details, an offence has been commited.

Before you say it -
Another useless fact to fill up the grey matter with!

Absolute rubbish! There is no obligation, because whilst not in a
computer it cannot receive a TV signal!

When a television is not plugged in it cannot receive a TV signal
either.

Quote: "If you use or install television receiving equipment to
receive or record television programme services you are required by
law to have a valid TV Licence."

Are you suggesting that television retailers don't have to inform TVL
if they don't install it.

Your logic is astounding.

No! Your reading of posts is astounding!

The poster was using legistlation about using television receiving
equipment to suggest that TV card vendors do not have to pass on the
customers details. It is as relevant to the subject as is my local
councils bylaws on days fouling the footpaths.

This is a computer vendors ng! Not a TV retailer ng!

Thank you, I was aware.
If you care to read the relevant legislation
you might find that the legislation does NOT repeat NOT include
computer retailers BECAUSE they do NOT sell TVs, if they do they have
to conform. This might change in the near future though, if people
keep banging on about it:-(

Are you trying to suggest thing that there are legal entities that define
"TV retailers" and "computor retailers". So what is tesco's

I suggest that the legislation applied to retailers selling equipment
cable of receiving television broadcasts. Are you trying to suggest that
some retailers are exempt because they also sell hard discs and
motherboards? Very strange logic.

Anyway once you have got over that pass your eye over

http://www.tv-l.co.uk/dealer/tvdealer_main.html

"How TV Licensing affects Dealers
The Wireless Telegraphy Act 1967 (as amended) requires any dealer who
sells or rents TV receiving equipment (whether the equipment is new or
second-hand) to notify TV Licensing within 28 days of each transaction,
giving full details of the buyer or renter.

"Don't forget this also includes:

- Computers fitted with electronic broadcast cards (TV Cards).

- TV Cards themselves.

- Set-top boxes.

"Failure to do so may mean a £1,000 fine per offence for you, or any
store manager employed by your company."

Feel free to ask about what you don't understand.
Old February 7th 04, 08:51 PM
Fishman

"Steve" wrote in message
SNIP
The poster was using legistlation about using television receiving
equipment to suggest that TV card vendors do not have to pass on the
customers details. It is as relevant to the subject as is my local
councils bylaws on days fouling the footpaths.

Above is not correct

Correction.....

The poster (ME) was quoting legistlation about using television receiving
equipment to inform vendors who sell TV cards that they DO have to pass on
the customers details to the TV licensing authority.

It is as relevant to the subject as is my local councils bylaws on DOGS?
fouling the footpaths.
What did you mean by this?

Old February 7th 04, 11:58 PM
Steve

"Fishman" wrote in
:

"Steve" wrote in message
SNIP
The poster was using legistlation about using television receiving
equipment to suggest that TV card vendors do not have to pass on the
customers details. It is as relevant to the subject as is my local
councils bylaws on days fouling the footpaths.

Above is not correct

Correction.....

The poster (ME) was quoting legistlation about using television
receiving equipment to inform vendors who sell TV cards that they DO
have to pass on the customers details to the TV licensing authority.

Depends which poster, I was referring to "Craven Birds" comments to your
post:

CB Absolute rubbish! There is no obligation, because whilst not in a
CB computer it cannot receive a TV signal!

It is as relevant to the subject as is my local councils bylaws on
DOGS? fouling the footpaths.
What did you mean by this?

I was referring to the following he posted:

CB Quote: "If you use or install television receiving equipment to
CB receive or record television programme services you are required by
CB law to have a valid TV Licence."

He used this as supporting evidence to deny that retailers have to pass
people's details to the TVLA when buying cards. It demonstrates nothing, it
does not support the point he was trying to make.
Old February 8th 04, 03:14 AM
Fishman

Yep Craven Birds just didn't get the jist of things.
Couldn't differentiate between the need for a user to have a licence and the
need for a vendor to pass on purchasers details.

Perhaps he / she is foreign and doesn't understand English.