TV Cards - Did you know?

Old February 2nd 04, 10:46 PM
Craven Birds

"Steve" wrote in message
"Craven Birds" wrote in
:

"Fishman" wrote in message
Did you know that it is illegal for a dealer to supply a TV card and
not record the buyers name and address and then pass this information
on to

the
TV Licencing authority within 28 days?

Similiar applies if as a dealer, you sell a PC with a TV card
installed - new or secondhand.

Information extracted from:
http://www.tv-l.co.uk/index_frameset.html Section :- TV Dealer
Information

So, if say you bought a TV card from PC World, paid cash and they did
not request your details, an offence has been commited.

Before you say it -
Another useless fact to fill up the grey matter with!

Absolute rubbish! There is no obligation, because whilst not in a
computer it cannot receive a TV signal!

When a television is not plugged in it cannot receive a TV signal either.

Quote: "If you use or install television receiving equipment to
receive or record television programme services you are required by
law to have a valid TV Licence."

Are you suggesting that television retailers don't have to inform TVL if
they don't install it.

Your logic is astounding.

No! Your reading of posts is astounding! This is a computer vendors ng! Not
a TV retailer ng! If you care to read the relevant legislation you might
find that the legislation does NOT repeat NOT include computer retailers
BECAUSE they do NOT sell TVs, if they do they have to conform. This might
change in the near future though, if people keep banging on about it:-(

Old February 2nd 04, 10:50 PM
bigbrian

On Mon, 2 Feb 2004 21:16:48 -0000, "Craven Birds"
wrote:

Of course if a computer only dealer sells equipemnt that is capable of
receiving TC signals will still have to notigy the TV licencing
authority. Its a bit like Argos saying we don't have to notify the
authroity becuase they only sell Teenage Mutant Nija Turtle action
figures even though they sell TVs.

Sorry! Argos et al may be obliged to inform the relevant authorities because
they SELL TVs'! BUT a computer vendor who does not supply TVs' in law are
NOT required to inform the TVLA. I should know! I work for the buggars;-)
Watch your step folks :-0

Now you run the risk of being seen as just trolling. Once again, from
the top.....

"The Wireless Telegraphy Act 1967 (as amended) requires **any dealer**
who sells or rents **TV receiving equipment** (whether the equipment
is new or second-hand) to notify TV Licensing within 28 days of each
transaction, giving full details of the buyer or renter."

"Any dealer"........not ..... "any dealer except those that only sell
computer stuff"

It even defines the terms "TV receiving equipment" to include

"Computers fitted with electronic broadcast cards (TV Cards).
TV Cards themselves.
Set-top boxes"

Its entirely unambiguous. Even if your business does nothing except
sell second hand PCs fitted with TV cards, you're required to collect
the customer details

Brian

Old February 2nd 04, 11:02 PM
Parish

bigbrian wrote:

On Mon, 02 Feb 2004 17:23:32 +0000, Parish wrote:

bigbrian wrote:

If you detune the TV (and/or VCR)
from receiving any broadcast signals, then you can claim - and be
believed - that you don't use the TV for a licensable purpose. If you
only use the TV for watching pre-recorded videos or DVDs (which is not
a licensable activity) then this is in fact exactly what the TV-L
people recommend you do.

Is this info on their website? I find it very hard to believe that the
TVL people (who are a wholly-owned money-making subsiduary of HMG) would
take any other view (no pun intended) than "if there's a TV set in the
house then it's for watching TV programmes". In fact, as I said in
another post, I'm sure there have been cases in the past of people
trying this line of defence in the past - and losing.

It used to be in the FAQ on their website, but I think they've removed
it (how nice)

This

http://www.jifvik.org/tv/clp.gif

is a scan of a letter from TV Licensing., in respone to someone asking
exactly this question.

OK, thanks for clarifying it. I'll save those for future reference. It
was the fact that I couldn't find any reference to on their website that
made me question the validity of the statement(s), but if they've
removed it (guess they didn't want too many people knowing, eh?).

The relevant text from their response reads..

"A DVD player is a means of playing back a pre-recorded optical disc
and is monitored via a television set. The set may be detuned to
prevent the receipt of licensable programme services and disconnected
from any means of signal conveyance. Therefore, when used in this mode
of operation, the television equipment would not attract payment of
the fee. The same would apply to a video player used for a similar
application"

This scan.....

http://www.jifvik.org/tv/samletter1.jpg

is another letter, in response to a different enquiry of the same
nature, which reads:

"As mentioned on our website, a television licence is not required if
television equipment is used only to view pre-recorded videos. If you
were watching videos that were pre-recorded by a friend from a
licensed television, again a television licence would not be required"

Finally, this third letter confirms the same thing again

http://www.jifvik.org/tv/samletter2.jpg

"you do not need a licence if you use the TV only to watch
pre-recorded videos"

Brian

Old February 2nd 04, 11:08 PM
Craven Birds

wrote:

[...]

No, I do not troll! I interpret the law! Obviously the first poster wanted a
flame war! With the judicial removal of certain wordings that he used;-)
I've noticed he has not responded :-0

I'll just go away then.

Old February 3rd 04, 07:48 AM
Malcolm Knight

"Parish" wrote in message
bigbrian wrote:

If you detune the TV (and/or VCR)
from receiving any broadcast signals, then you can claim - and be
believed - that you don't use the TV for a licensable purpose. If

you
only use the TV for watching pre-recorded videos or DVDs (which is

not
a licensable activity) then this is in fact exactly what the TV-L
people recommend you do.

Is this info on their website?

I doubt it, these people are totally dishonest.

I find it very hard to believe that the
TVL people (who are a wholly-owned money-making subsiduary of HMG)

would
take any other view (no pun intended) than "if there's a TV set in

the
house then it's for watching TV programmes".

But there you'd be wrong.

In fact, as I said in
another post, I'm sure there have been cases in the past of people
trying this line of defence in the past - and losing.

I have eleven video recorders (various formats from Betamax to
digital) all with their tuners detuned and no aerial in the room where
they are kept. They have been inspected by the nosey little blighter
from Crapita and pronounced as being all OK with no licence.
--
Malcolm

Old February 3rd 04, 07:53 AM
Malcolm Knight

"Paul Hopwood" wrote in message
Parish wrote:

Is this info on their website? I find it very hard to believe that

the
TVL people (who are a wholly-owned money-making subsiduary of HMG)

The TV Licensing Authority is actually a wholly-owned money-making
subsidiary of the BBC. Whether this qualifies as a subsidiary of

HMG
is somewhat debatable! ;-)

Not true. If they send you an email it comes from an @capita.co.uk
address.
--
Malcolm

Old February 3rd 04, 08:35 AM
Bagpuss

On Tue, 3 Feb 2004 07:53:12 -0000, "Malcolm Knight"
wrote:

"Paul Hopwood" wrote in message
.. .
Parish wrote:

Is this info on their website? I find it very hard to believe that

the
TVL people (who are a wholly-owned money-making subsiduary of HMG)

The TV Licensing Authority is actually a wholly-owned money-making
subsidiary of the BBC. Whether this qualifies as a subsidiary of

HMG
is somewhat debatable! ;-)

Not true. If they send you an email it comes from an @capita.co.uk
address.

Who owns capita?
Old February 3rd 04, 09:02 AM
Parish

wrote:

"Paul Hopwood" wrote in message
. ..
Parish wrote:

Is this info on their website? I find it very hard to believe that

the
TVL people (who are a wholly-owned money-making subsiduary of HMG)

The TV Licensing Authority is actually a wholly-owned money-making
subsidiary of the BBC. Whether this qualifies as a subsidiary of

HMG
is somewhat debatable! ;-)

Not true. If they send you an email it comes from an @capita.co.uk
address.

Who owns capita?

The own themselves.

They are the outfit who administer the London Extortion^WCongestion Charge.
Old February 3rd 04, 11:22 AM
Bagpuss

Parish wrote:

Is this info on their website? I find it very hard to believe that
the
TVL people (who are a wholly-owned money-making subsiduary of HMG)

The TV Licensing Authority is actually a wholly-owned money-making
subsidiary of the BBC. Whether this qualifies as a subsidiary of
HMG
is somewhat debatable! ;-)

Not true. If they send you an email it comes from an @capita.co.uk
address.

Who owns capita?

The own themselves.

They are the outfit who administer the London Extortion^WCongestion Charge.

Yes. They are a BPO company.
Old February 3rd 04, 03:33 PM
Malcolm Knight

Parish wrote:

Is this info on their website? I find it very hard to believe

that
the
TVL people (who are a wholly-owned money-making subsiduary of

HMG)

The TV Licensing Authority is actually a wholly-owned

money-making
subsidiary of the BBC. Whether this qualifies as a subsidiary of

HMG
is somewhat debatable! ;-)

Not true. If they send you an email it comes from an @capita.co.uk
address.

Who owns capita?

It's a publicly quoted company responsible for implementing far too
many failed government initiatives. You can own a chunk of it by
approaching your stock broker. :-)
--
Malcolm