FAT32 vs NTFS

Old January 1st 04, 01:09 AM
Dr. Indera

hi ed,

do you know of any reasons why one shouldn't use ntfs? the reason i'm asking
is because i remember reading that you could store more data on a drive in
ntfs format than one that is fat32.

thanks
indera

"Ed Bigelow" wrote in message
ink.net...
It's much easier to convert to NTFS than from NTFS to FAT32.

Recovery programs (unless I'm out-of-date) aren't happy with NTFS.

"Tuncel Sunar" wrote in message
news
I have an Acer TravelMate 800LCI Centrino 1.3 GHz, 40GB w/ 512MB Ram.
XP-Home and XP-Office are installed. I have set up my home network w/

belkin
router between the laptop w/ mentioned configuration and a desktop w/

AMD
Athlon 800Mhz, 20GB, 512 MB Win98 SE connecting wireless and wired
respectively.

Laptop's HD is currently formatted as Fat32. I am considering to convert

NTFS since Windows help states that it is a better one.

Just wondering if anyone w/ FAt32 converted to NTFS. Windows help says

files
will remain intact after conversion, however I want to be sure of it.

Are there any disadvantages of doing so? Do I have to set up network

again?
etc...

Any insight is highly appreciated.

Thx,

--
Tuncel Sunar
PS: To send email, REMOVE "NOSPAM" from the email address.

Old January 1st 04, 02:18 AM
Barry Watzman

IF an NTFS drive gets screwed up, repairing it can be extremely
difficult to impossible.

I've seen people locked out of their own computer with an NTFS drive
when nothing was wrong but when the password was simply forgotten or
somehow inadvertently changed. NTFS securty is very good (hard to
break, that is) and that's fine in applications in which you need that
security, but on a "home" system that can become a two-edged sword.

NTFS proponents will argue that things "go wrong" with NTFS drives less
frequently. That's an arguable point, I'm not sure that I buy it.

As to storage efficiency and speed, those depend too much on the
applications involved and the types applications being used and files
being stored. In any case neither difference is significant in either
direction.

I use NTFS when I need the security (encryption and/or access
permissions), or where I need either large files (greater than 2 gigs)
or large partitions (greater than 32 gigs). Otherwise I use FAT32.

Old January 2nd 04, 06:05 PM
Dr. Indera

wow phil,

this is great info!

thank you so much.

Old January 2nd 04, 06:19 PM
Dr. Indera

barry,

this is very interesting.
i do remember once that all of a sudden i didn't have rights to any of the
web site files that i built even though i am the only user and am using the
administrator logon account. it took a while to figure out what the problem
was.
i never had that problem under fat32. hmmmmm,

being the only user, i'm not sure that i have a need for any security
features, unless it helps keep hackers away smile

the most robust packages that i use are visual studio.net, photoshop and
dreamweaver. some of my ms word documents are 20 mb i write technical
documentation with screen shots

thank you.
this is very informative.
indera

FAT32 & NTFS phil General 14 January 25th 05 04:08 AM
NTFS or fat32 for external HD Woodchuck Homebuilt PC's 1 December 16th 03 09:17 AM
flashing bios to NTFS any diff than to FAT32 Win XP? Randyman Homebuilt PC's 6 August 7th 03 06:14 AM
Get message "Remove disks or other media" since converting from NTFS to FAT32 Paul Hill General 1 July 6th 03 02:03 PM
File System Conversion from NTFS to back to FAT32 Optonline Overclocking AMD Processors 0 June 23rd 03 01:19 PM