Dual Channel Memory on Single Channel boards?

Old August 6th 04, 01:35 PM
Courseyauto

One thing I don't want to deal with is anything more than air cooling.
I mean I know that this MB can be overclocked easily to it's max of
300Mhz, without major cooling, but I'm not sure how much it will take.
At the moment I've got a dual fan power supply, a top-case fan, a
side-case fan, and a Cooler Master processor heatsink/fan (
http://www.directron.com/accu72.html )
---------------------

Your CPU will never even get close to 300FSB,with air cooling your looking at
250 mabey 260................ I would go for 3500 ram it i will run CAS 2.0
which is what ATHLON 64 CPU's like for best performance. Anything over 3500 and
you most likelu wont be able to run less tha CAS 2.5,4000ram and you looking at
CAS 3.0 or higher.
Old August 6th 04, 07:24 PM
Dennis E Strausser Jr

"Rich Lowe" wrote in message
m...
Scratch the

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...146-932&depa=1

and replace it with

http://www.monarchcomputer.com/Merch...Unbuffered_OCZ

Rich

Ah, Rich. The ram I pointed you to may be cheap, but few people have
given bad reviews on it.
Of course, if you feel you must spend so much just to get high end ram, then
do it.
My point is, you don't have to. There's no need for memory that costs that
much.

If I ever get the money together, I might build a FX53 or FX51.
I'm trying to get the money/credit together to do it.
And what for ram am I going to use, of course.. More Kingmax.

Denny. ;-)

Old August 6th 04, 10:44 PM
gerry

On 6 Aug 2004 03:27:20 -0700, (Rich Lowe) wrote:

Ok guys, here is where I'm at so far. Right now I am looking at
DDR500 unless you think I can go to DDR533 or higher with just air
cooling. I don't really want to buy cheap value memory, I'd at least
like reasonable CAS timings and pretty good performance, but at the
same time the memory doesn't really need to perform beyond its specs
very much since I plan on running it at a 1:1 ratio. I definitely
want a brand name with posted CAS timings. Here are two that I am
possibly looking at..

http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/Produc...ductCode=85017

One thing I don't want to deal with is anything more than air cooling.
I mean I know that this MB can be overclocked easily to it's max of
300Mhz, without major cooling, but I'm not sure how much it will take.
At the moment I've got a dual fan power supply, a top-case fan, a
side-case fan, and a Cooler Master processor heatsink/fan (
http://www.directron.com/accu72.html )

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Rich

I like the ram.

use this one on your cpu:

http://www.frozencpu.com/cgi-bin/fro...pu-tri-12.html

120mm fan is the way to go. effective. quiet.

Will cool your new ram too.

Old August 6th 04, 10:48 PM
@@@

On 06 Aug 2004 12:35:21 GMT, (Courseyauto) wrote:

One thing I don't want to deal with is anything more than air cooling.
I mean I know that this MB can be overclocked easily to it's max of
300Mhz, without major cooling, but I'm not sure how much it will take.
At the moment I've got a dual fan power supply, a top-case fan, a
side-case fan, and a Cooler Master processor heatsink/fan (
http://www.directron.com/accu72.html )
---------------------

Your CPU will never even get close to 300FSB,with air cooling your looking at
250 mabey 260................ I would go for 3500 ram it i will run CAS 2.0
which is what ATHLON 64 CPU's like for best performance. Anything over 3500 and
you most likelu wont be able to run less tha CAS 2.5,4000ram and you looking at
CAS 3.0 or higher.

The trend is to drop the cpu multiplier in order to get a higher
hypertransit bus speed for the same peak cpu speed.

Old August 6th 04, 11:15 PM
Courseyauto

Your CPU will never even get close to 300FSB,with air cooling your looking

at
250 mabey 260................ I would go for 3500 ram it i will run CAS 2.0
which is what ATHLON 64 CPU's like for best performance. Anything over 3500

and
you most likelu wont be able to run less tha CAS 2.5,4000ram and you looking

at
CAS 3.0 or higher.

The trend is to drop the cpu multiplier in order to get a higher
hypertransit bus speed for the same peak cpu speed.

From what ive seen,even lowering the multplier they only run in the 260 range.
only the 939 pin Athlon 64 CPu's have the higher 1 gig hypertransport buss,all
the others are 800mhz. Unless you just want to see how high you can overclock
it, the system will perform better with lower CAS rated ram and a moderate FSB
setting. Corsair Extra low Latency 3200 ram is execellant and will overclock
to 450 with low Latency settings but is expensive. DOUG

Old August 7th 04, 10:37 AM
Rich Lowe

From what ive seen,even lowering the multplier they only run in the 260 range.

http://www.anandtech.com/mb/showdoc.aspx?i=2036&p=6

They say that they easily hit the max, and think the bios limit should
be raised. Also they were able to run DDR540 at 1:1. I only plan to
do it to 250 though, because of cooling requirements and cost.

I guess one reason I am having trouble is I was trying to stick with a
1:1 ratio. Do you lose any performance by overclocking the memory
too? I know that your timings get a bit worse, but is it better to
buy PC3500 with low timings and overclock it to PC4000? I think that
is what was said in one of the other posts.

Thank you all for your help.

Rich
Old August 7th 04, 10:48 AM
Rich Lowe

Ah, Rich. The ram I pointed you to may be cheap, but few people have
given bad reviews on it.
Of course, if you feel you must spend so much just to get high end ram, then
do it.
My point is, you don't have to. There's no need for memory that costs that
much.

If I ever get the money together, I might build a FX53 or FX51.
I'm trying to get the money/credit together to do it.
And what for ram am I going to use, of course.. More Kingmax.

Denny. ;-)

Believe me, I haven't counted it out yet. I wish it had rated timings
though, I saw the second one had 2.5+ as its timings, and that doesn't
tell me much If I were to get them, and I wanted to run the memory
at DDR500, would you buy the DDR500 or buy lower and change the ratio?

Thanks a bunch,

Rich
Old August 7th 04, 11:02 AM
Rich Lowe

Also, is 1GB what I should be looking at here, or should I get 512MB?
I will be doing a bit of graphics intensive gaming, but not a whole
lot. Movie encoding once in a while, etc.

Thanks,

Rich
Old August 7th 04, 11:32 AM
Rich Lowe

OK, I think I have finally found it, it's still kind of expensive but
it is really good memory. Crucial Ballistix PC3200, CAS 2 @ DDR400
and 2.5-2-2 @ DDR500

http://www.anandtech.com/memory/showdoc.aspx?i=2145&p=9

http://www.crucial.com/store/PartSpe...ule=BL6464Z402

Any thoughts?

Rich
Old August 7th 04, 01:27 PM
Ski

OK, I think I have finally found it, it's still kind of expensive but
it is really good memory. Crucial Ballistix PC3200, CAS 2 @ DDR400
and 2.5-2-2 @ DDR500

I'll stick with the KINGMAX PC3500
for $85 a stick at Newegg, thanks.

Ski
"The only way to find out how far is too far...
is to go there"
(remove spleen to e-mail)