Dual Channel Memory on Single Channel boards?

Old August 4th 04, 08:46 AM
Rich Lowe

Default Dual Channel Memory on Single Channel boards?

If I buy memory in a dual channel pack (2x512MB) it will still work
alright in a single channel board right? The memory is:

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...146-985&depa=1

And my motherboard is an MSI K8N Neo Platinum

Thanks a bunch,

Rich
Old August 4th 04, 10:01 AM
rstlne

"Rich Lowe" wrote in message
om...
If I buy memory in a dual channel pack (2x512MB) it will still work
alright in a single channel board right? The memory is:

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.

asp?description=20-146-985&depa=1

And my motherboard is an MSI K8N Neo Platinum

Thanks a bunch,

Rich

yes
and if you buy 2 sticks of the same memory it will probably work fine in
dual channel boards
It looks to me like newegg is doing this to force users to buy the dual pack
just to get the 512m boards..

(is this ram not overkill for that board?)

Old August 4th 04, 05:53 PM
Wes Newell

On Wed, 04 Aug 2004 00:46:54 -0700, Rich Lowe wrote:

If I buy memory in a dual channel pack (2x512MB) it will still work
alright in a single channel board right? The memory is:

Of course. It's just 2 sticks of 512M ram. There's no such thing as dual
channel ram.

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...146-985&depa=1

And my motherboard is an MSI K8N Neo Platinum

No way in hell would I pay that much ($336) for 2 sticks of 512M
PC3700ram.

Old August 5th 04, 01:44 PM

On Wed, 04 Aug 2004 16:53:03 GMT, Wes Newell
wrote:

On Wed, 04 Aug 2004 00:46:54 -0700, Rich Lowe wrote:

If I buy memory in a dual channel pack (2x512MB) it will still work
alright in a single channel board right? The memory is:

Of course. It's just 2 sticks of 512M ram. There's no such thing as dual
channel ram.

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...146-985&depa=1

And my motherboard is an MSI K8N Neo Platinum

No way in hell would I pay that much ($336) for 2 sticks of 512M
PC3700ram.

Actually, ram other than generic PC3200 is quite expensive these days.

I bought some PC4000 ram last april for $125 and it's $173 now, per
512M stick.

As I understand it, that Nforce3 250 motherboard can be overclocked
with the hypertransit bus cranked WAY up, so generic PC3200 isn't
going to do it for you.

I wouldn't get the matched dual pack though, esp since the motherboard
is socket 754 and single channel.

Old August 5th 04, 01:54 PM
Rich Lowe

yes
and if you buy 2 sticks of the same memory it will probably work fine in
dual channel boards
It looks to me like newegg is doing this to force users to buy the dual pack
just to get the 512m boards..

(is this ram not overkill for that board?)

It may be, I am trying to find good memory that will work well so that
I can overclock my K8N Neo at a decent speed with a 1:1 ratio for the
memory. At the same time I don't want to sacrifice a large amount of
performance, but I also don't want to pay a much larger price for a
little performance improvement. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Rich
Old August 5th 04, 01:56 PM
Rich Lowe

No way in hell would I pay that much ($336) for 2 sticks of 512M
PC3700ram.

Could you give me other suggestions that have good performance for a
better price? As I wrote in the other reply, I am looking for a 1:1
ratio while still having a good overclock speed, preferably 233 or 250
MHz. Though I could use suggestions on that too, this is my first
home-built PC and also my first overclock...

Thanks a ton,

Rich
Old August 5th 04, 08:35 PM
Wes Newell

On Thu, 05 Aug 2004 05:56:17 -0700, Rich Lowe wrote:

No way in hell would I pay that much ($336) for 2 sticks of 512M
PC3700ram.

Could you give me other suggestions that have good performance for a
better price? As I wrote in the other reply, I am looking for a 1:1
ratio while still having a good overclock speed, preferably 233 or 250
MHz. Though I could use suggestions on that too, this is my first
home-built PC and also my first overclock...

I always buy as fast as possible, but cheap. For my A64 I'm using some old
PC3700 ram I had in my XP system. If I was buying for it today, I'd
probably get cheap PC4x00 ram. Maybe the cheapest one here and not
expecting more than PC3700 speeds (233MHz). They sure try to scare you aay
from the cheap ones though.

http://www.1stchoicememory.com/page103.html

Or maybe this one.

http://www.dvcentury.com/Merchant2/m...ry_Code=PC4200

I'd start at picewatch.com

Old August 6th 04, 05:36 AM
Dennis E Strausser Jr

"Rich Lowe" wrote in message
om...
No way in hell would I pay that much ($336) for 2 sticks of 512M
PC3700ram.

Could you give me other suggestions that have good performance for a
better price? As I wrote in the other reply, I am looking for a 1:1
ratio while still having a good overclock speed, preferably 233 or 250
MHz. Though I could use suggestions on that too, this is my first
home-built PC and also my first overclock...

Thanks a ton,

Rich

I could.
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...156-008&depa=0

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...156-011&depa=0

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...156-009&depa=0

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...156-012&depa=0

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...156-010&depa=0

This is good ram.
I have two sticks of PC2700 (DDR266) in my P4.
Hm, by CPU-Z It's running @ 220.5
By Sandra Memory Bandwidth Benchmark
2x 220MHz (440MHz data rate)

I have (All Components Memory) in my Athlon XP 2200 @ 2400 running more like
3000+
@ 2.18
2x 168MHz (336MHz data rate)
Timings.
Note, 168 is also my fsb, but ppl that knows amd, they might know this.
2.5,2,2,5 I've had it set @ 2.5,2,2,4
I've ran it faster then this too, up around 180 or so.
I don't remember.

Denny. ;-)

Old August 6th 04, 11:27 AM
Rich Lowe

Ok guys, here is where I'm at so far. Right now I am looking at
DDR500 unless you think I can go to DDR533 or higher with just air
cooling. I don't really want to buy cheap value memory, I'd at least
like reasonable CAS timings and pretty good performance, but at the
same time the memory doesn't really need to perform beyond its specs
very much since I plan on running it at a 1:1 ratio. I definitely
want a brand name with posted CAS timings. Here are two that I am
possibly looking at..

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...146-932&depa=1

and

http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/Produc...ductCode=85017

One thing I don't want to deal with is anything more than air cooling.
I mean I know that this MB can be overclocked easily to it's max of
300Mhz, without major cooling, but I'm not sure how much it will take.
At the moment I've got a dual fan power supply, a top-case fan, a
side-case fan, and a Cooler Master processor heatsink/fan (
http://www.directron.com/accu72.html )

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Rich