Lets Talk Chipsets

Old February 13th 08, 10:29 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
ldiaco[_5_]

Default Lets Talk Chipsets

Hey all,

This past summer, I upgraded my computer and in that upgrade, I got a
new motherboard. It was an Intel DG33FBC, with an Intel G33 Express
Northbridge chipset. I am content with it, but lately I have been
salivating over the X38 chipset. Before I go out and empty my wallet on
a new mobo, I wanted to get some input from the powers that be, on the
differences between chipsets, the pros of upgrading, and what effect
such an upgrade would have. All I really know about chipsets are that
there are a North Bridge and a South Bridge, and that the Northbridge
gets pretty **** hot. Any info would be helpful.

Old February 14th 08, 08:30 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Paul

ldiaco wrote:
Hey all,

This past summer, I upgraded my computer and in that upgrade, I got a
new motherboard. It was an Intel DG33FBC, with an Intel G33 Express
Northbridge chipset. I am content with it, but lately I have been
salivating over the X38 chipset. Before I go out and empty my wallet on
a new mobo, I wanted to get some input from the powers that be, on the
differences between chipsets, the pros of upgrading, and what effect
such an upgrade would have. All I really know about chipsets are that
there are a North Bridge and a South Bridge, and that the Northbridge
gets pretty **** hot. Any info would be helpful.

Are you an overclocker ? Do you need a new slot configuration on the
motherboard ? Is some peripheral chip missing from the motherboard
(i.e. not enough SATA ports, no Firewire) ? Salivating is fine, if
there is a reason for it.

Perhaps if you tell us what hardware you're using with it, and
what you hope to get from the new motherboard, someone can tell
you how the X38 helps. Otherwise, at stock speed, if we blindfolded
you, you might have trouble telling which motherboard (G33 or X38)
was inside the computer case.

Paul
Old February 15th 08, 02:04 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
~misfit~[_8_]

Somewhere on teh intarweb "ldiaco" typed:
Hey all,

This past summer, I upgraded my computer and in that upgrade, I got a
new motherboard. It was an Intel DG33FBC, with an Intel G33 Express
Northbridge chipset. I am content with it, but lately I have been
salivating over the X38 chipset. Before I go out and empty my wallet
on a new mobo, I wanted to get some input from the powers that be, on
the differences between chipsets, the pros of upgrading, and what
effect such an upgrade would have. All I really know about chipsets
are that there are a North Bridge and a South Bridge, and that the
Northbridge gets pretty **** hot. Any info would be helpful.

Why would *anyone* be considering replacing a G33 with an X38 now when the
new P45 and X48 chipsets are only a few months away? They will be Intels
last, and greatest chipsets for the current family of CPUs.

When 'Nehalem' debuts towards the end of this year you'll need a whole new
motherboard to run them. If you must upgrade your G33 I suggest waiting for
the X48 unless you are a rich "bleeding edge" kind of guy and will jump on
Nehalem when it's introduced.

Summation: X38 is old news, X48 will be the ultimate for LGA775 and should
be on shelves near you within the next couple months.
--
Shaun.

Old February 15th 08, 04:41 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
kony

On Wed, 13 Feb 2008 16:29:49 -0600, ldiaco
wrote:

Hey all,

This past summer, I upgraded my computer and in that upgrade, I got a
new motherboard. It was an Intel DG33FBC, with an Intel G33 Express
Northbridge chipset. I am content with it, but lately I have been
salivating over the X38 chipset. Before I go out and empty my wallet on
a new mobo, I wanted to get some input from the powers that be, on the
differences between chipsets, the pros of upgrading, and what effect
such an upgrade would have. All I really know about chipsets are that
there are a North Bridge and a South Bridge, and that the Northbridge
gets pretty **** hot. Any info would be helpful.

That would be a waste of time, replace the motherboard when
you want to upgrade the CPU and find you need a new board to
support the CPU you want.
Old February 15th 08, 04:03 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
CBFalconer

ldiaco wrote:

This past summer, I upgraded my computer and in that upgrade, I
got a new motherboard. It was an Intel DG33FBC, with an Intel
G33 Express Northbridge chipset. I am content with it, but
lately I have been salivating over the X38 chipset. Before I go
out and empty my wallet on a new mobo, I wanted to get some
input from the powers that be, on the differences between
chipsets, the pros of upgrading, and what effect such an upgrade
would have. All I really know about chipsets are that there are
a North Bridge and a South Bridge, and that the Northbridge gets
pretty **** hot. Any info would be helpful.

Just ensure that your new board has the capability to operate ECC
memory. Then buy ECC memory. After installation you will never
wonder about memory quality again.

[page]: http://cbfalconer.home.att.net
Try the download section.

Old February 18th 08, 03:47 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
GT

"CBFalconer" wrote in message
ldiaco wrote:

This past summer, I upgraded my computer and in that upgrade, I
got a new motherboard. It was an Intel DG33FBC, with an Intel
G33 Express Northbridge chipset. I am content with it, but
lately I have been salivating over the X38 chipset.

Just ensure that your new board has the capability to operate ECC
memory. Then buy ECC memory. After installation you will never
wonder about memory quality again.

Is there a / What is the performance overhead for ECC?

Old February 18th 08, 10:33 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
CBFalconer

GT wrote:
"CBFalconer" wrote:
ldiaco wrote:

This past summer, I upgraded my computer and in that upgrade, I
got a new motherboard. It was an Intel DG33FBC, with an Intel
G33 Express Northbridge chipset. I am content with it, but
lately I have been salivating over the X38 chipset.

Just ensure that your new board has the capability to operate ECC
memory. Then buy ECC memory. After installation you will never
wonder about memory quality again.

Is there a / What is the performance overhead for ECC?

Practically zero. Expect in the order of 1 to 5% of memory speed.