upgrade due to Firewire??????

Old December 27th 03, 06:59 PM
Steve D

Default upgrade due to Firewire??????

i convinced my wife to let me upgrade my MOBO because we would have to buy
an add-on firewire card to support our new camcorder anyway. now my
question is what to upgrade to?????
I have a K7N2 right now....No L, No G and not a delta....just a plain old
333fsb K7N2 mobo. I have dual channel 400mhz ram (running in sync 333) and
amd xp 2600(333 flavor) as well. i want to upgrade to something with a
firewire port and not spend more than 100 us dollars. Any ideas.... I have
had good luck with the nforce 2 stuff but would do VIA chipset as well.
Thanks for the help.
Steve

Old December 27th 03, 07:15 PM
Spear

I would say spend the $200 and buy the K7N2 Delta ILSR. It is a good board
and the Extra Ide port dose not hurt. and the up grade will be easy. rock
solid. I am running a 2500+Barton @ 3200+ speed. @ stock voltage. and with
the onboard SATA you can start buying the newer HDD tech. or buy an adaptor
to use the smaller SATA cables to aide in cooling. It is a good board and if
you are happy with the Nforce2 Chip set why change?
Just a thought.

Abit NF7-S. Available for $99.99 (under $100 ) at www.newegg.com

Old December 27th 03, 07:23 PM
Skid

Abit NF7-S, everything you asked for and a lot more. $99 with free shipping
from www.newegg.com. Nforce 2 Ultra 400 chipset, will take all your existing
hardware, and can upgrade to any AMD cpu except the Opteron.

It's a fabulous overclocker with all the bells and whistles. Arguably the
best Socket A mobo around.

Old December 27th 03, 08:48 PM
Fishface

Steve D wrote:
i convinced my wife to let me upgrade my MOBO because we
would have to buy an add-on firewire card to support our new
camcorder anyway. now my question is what to upgrade to??

Get the $20 firewire card that comes with a firewire cable, which
you'd have to buy for $10 anyway. Spend the rest on a new HDD,
120GB at least. DV AVIs take about 13GB of space per hour. I
have an NF-7s and Barton at about 2.35GHz, and it still takes
forever to encode/transcode video. You pretty much have to let it
work while you're sleeping, so even if it takes an extra hour, who
cares? You're going to need to spend money on editing software,
maybe authoring software, and a DVD burner, too. Save any extra
money for your next upgrade to a 9 nanometer something or other.

Old December 27th 03, 09:25 PM
Jon Danniken

"Steve D" wrote:
i convinced my wife to let me upgrade my MOBO because we would have to buy
an add-on firewire card to support our new camcorder anyway. now my
question is what to upgrade to?????
I have a K7N2 right now....No L, No G and not a delta....just a plain old
333fsb K7N2 mobo. I have dual channel 400mhz ram (running in sync 333) and
amd xp 2600(333 flavor) as well. i want to upgrade to something with a
firewire port and not spend more than 100 us dollars. Any ideas.... I have
had good luck with the nforce 2 stuff but would do VIA chipset as well.

Well, if you want a new motherboard then get one. If you just want a 1394 card you can find
them on eBay for a couple of dollars.

Jon

Old December 27th 03, 10:23 PM
David Maynard

Steve D wrote:
i convinced my wife to let me upgrade my MOBO because we would have to buy
an add-on firewire card to support our new camcorder anyway. now my
question is what to upgrade to?????
I have a K7N2 right now....No L, No G and not a delta....just a plain old
333fsb K7N2 mobo. I have dual channel 400mhz ram (running in sync 333) and
amd xp 2600(333 flavor) as well. i want to upgrade to something with a
firewire port and not spend more than 100 us dollars. Any ideas.... I have
had good luck with the nforce 2 stuff but would do VIA chipset as well.
Thanks for the help.
Steve

To use your criteria I'd stay with the nforce2 chipset, in the ultra
flavor, and the best deal on that would be an ABIT NF7-S, at Newegg for
$99.00 with free shipping. That way you could also try overclocking the
2600+ to 400 MHz FSB, especially since you already have 400Mhz RAM, to get
some real justification for popping 100 bucks on a new motherboard because,
otherwise, you can get a firewire card for under 10 bucks.

For the budget minded one could also get an nforce2 ultra motherboard
without firewire, for the overclocking, and add a firewire card, as one
would do with the one you've got now, for less total cost than the ABIT
NF7-S. Like say a Biostar M7NCD Pro for $58 plus a 10 buck firewire card.
If the reviews are right, however, the Abit might have 5%, or so, better
performance than the Biostar.

Old December 28th 03, 03:45 AM
Wayne Youngman

"Steve D" wrote
i convinced my wife to let me upgrade my MOBO because we would have to buy
an add-on firewire card to support our new camcorder anyway.

Hi,
all I can say is *lol*. Why do you have to convince your wife in order for
you to upgrade the computer?. I'm not married myself so I just don't get
it. If your wife was to say "No Steve, you can't upgrade your Motherboard"
does that mean you can't?

Are you seriously *Under The Thumb* dude or did I miss something?

Anyway regarding Mobo's I rate the ABIT NF7-S, or u could just buy an add-in
card that does firewire, and its even available on some Creative Sound cards
--
Wayne ][

Barton (AQXEA) XP2500+ @ 2.2GHz (10x220) - 1.775vCore
CoolerMaster Aero 7 Lite - 3,200rpm
ABIT NF7-S (v2.0 - BIOS#14)
512MB Dual TwiSTER PC3500 @ DDR440 1:1 (9,3,3,2.0 - 2.7v)
Sapphire Atlantis 9800 - 3.3ns Samsung (325/290 Default)
240GB (2x120GB) WD-SE SATA RAID-0 (NTFS - 16k Stripe)
Antec SX630II Mini-Tower Case Inc 300w PSU
2 x CoolerMaster 80mm Blue Neon Fans
WinXP-PRO-SP1
Cat 3.7 - DX9.0b

Old December 28th 03, 03:49 AM
Strontium

-
Wayne Youngman stood up at show-n-tell, in
, and said:

"Steve D" wrote
i convinced my wife to let me upgrade my MOBO because we would have
to buy an add-on firewire card to support our new camcorder anyway.

Hi,
all I can say is *lol*. Why do you have to convince your wife in
order for you to upgrade the computer?. I'm not married myself so I
just don't get it. If your wife was to say "No Steve, you can't
upgrade your Motherboard" does that mean you can't?

Having been married, myself, I laughed as well. However, for a different
reason than you

Are you seriously *Under The Thumb* dude or did I miss something?

Anyway regarding Mobo's I rate the ABIT NF7-S, or u could just buy an
add-in card that does firewire, and its even available on some
Creative Sound cards

--
Strontium

"And, all of your lies weren't enough to keep me....here."

- Goo Goo Dolls

Old December 28th 03, 05:02 AM
taff

On Sat, 27 Dec 2003 21:49:44 -0600, "Strontium"
wrote:

-
Wayne Youngman stood up at show-n-tell, in
, and said:

"Steve D" wrote
i convinced my wife to let me upgrade my MOBO because we would have
to buy an add-on firewire card to support our new camcorder anyway.

Hi,
all I can say is *lol*. Why do you have to convince your wife in
order for you to upgrade the computer?. I'm not married myself so I
just don't get it. If your wife was to say "No Steve, you can't
upgrade your Motherboard" does that mean you can't?

Having been married, myself, I laughed as well. However, for a different
reason than you

Are you seriously *Under The Thumb* dude or did I miss something?

Anyway regarding Mobo's I rate the ABIT NF7-S, or u could just buy an
add-in card that does firewire, and its even available on some
Creative Sound cards

I am the boss in my house.

And I have my wifes permission to say so

www.sounds-pa.com | www.thecomputerworkshop.com

Firewire harddrive speeds Erwin R. Leijen General 1 October 1st 04 02:09 PM
Upgrade Report [Hardware Tips: Get the Right Hard Drive - 05/11/2004] Ablang General 0 May 16th 04 03:17 AM
USB/USB-2 How can I tell? Chris Mayers General 30 May 16th 04 12:36 AM
USB 2.0 and firewire Augustus General 1 January 17th 04 07:41 PM
upgrade due to Firewire?????? Steve D Overclocking 27 December 29th 03 07:00 AM