Graphics card for P5GD1 PRO

Old March 31st 05, 07:21 AM
Peter

Default Graphics card for P5GD1 PRO

Hi,

I just ordered an ASUS P5GD1 PRO mobo, thinking that, because most
mainbaords have onbaord audio, LAN & graphics, that this model would
have one also. Well, I've now realised by looking a bit more at the
specs that there is an expansion slot:

1 x PCI Express x16 slot for discrete graphics card

but no onboard graphics card. Can I use another type of graphics card
on this motherboard, just as an interim measure ?

There is a 64Mb RAM graphics card on this MSI mobo, but I think it
will be the wrong type ?

Here are some specs on the graphics card I'm using now:

NVIDIA RIVA TNT2 Model 64/Model 64 Pro
Video Adapter
Model: NVIDIA RIVA TNT2 Model 64/Model
64 Pro
Total Memory: 32MB (32MB Video)
Texture Memory: 51MB
Hardware Revision: 021
VESA PnP/DDC Support: Yes

Can I use this graphics card on the new motherboard ?

Peter

Peter Richards

(but use hotmail to email)
Old March 31st 05, 09:05 AM
Paul

In article , Peter
wrote:

[...]

That card looks like it is AGP:

NVIDIA RIVA TNT2 Model 64
http://www.bolha.com/index.php/ukaz/bid/izd/728824

Your available options are PCI or PCI Express.

Here is the cheapest PCI video card I can find ($27.50). These
are typically used on servers, for occasional 2D use.

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...102-153&depa=0

And this is the cheapest PCI Express that is not a "Turbocache" ($62).
You could likely live with this for a desktop display, whereas the
Rage XL would drag you down:

Old April 1st 05, 05:33 AM
Ðavïd

Paul wrote...
Your available options are PCI or PCI Express.

«snip»

Breaking into this thread with interest (and questions of course). I
was going to start a thread on this very subject, Graphics card for
P5GD1. I'm not sure what "PRO" is as the Asus site doesn't list it.

Paul, you and others have been very helpful with advice. As I've
post before, I'm seriously considering a purchase of an Asus P5GD1
mainboard.

I am undecided on which video card, ATI or nVidia, to use as the
mainboard requires PCIe. I won't be gaming, just general web surfing
and DVD clips. My TurboCad software requires OpenGL. I am considering
an Abit RX600PRO-256. Newegg has it priced at $132.00; ZipZoomFly at
$125.00

What has piqued my interest in this card is a review
fromTom'sHardware Guide. Additionally, I prefer the card to utilize
it's own power. The days of the WinModem broke me of that.

What I'm asking,is there a better choice for a reasonably priced
PCIe video card?

Thanks in advance,
David
Greenville, NC

http://www.abit-usa.com/products/gra...es=2&model=194

http://graphics.tomshardware.com/gra...ection-15.html

Old April 1st 05, 11:22 PM
Paul

In article , "Ðavïd"
wrote:

Paul wrote...
[...]

Well, you need two things. A representative price list and
some video card benchmarks. Tomshardware has jumbo video card
reviews, which should allow you to rate the video cards. And
Newegg has a shop-by-catagory feature, which will give you some
prices to work with. (Since I don't have a PCI-Express motherboard,
I haven't had much interest in the new cards.)

Select PCI-Express here and sort by price:
http://www.newegg.com/app/manufact.a...alog=48&DEPA=0

In terms of raw data, this site lists clocks, memory bandwidth,
and shader version info for video cards. It is interesting to
see how much has changed between generations of cards - quite a
lot of overlap:

http://www.benchmark.pl/artykuly/zes...ydajnosci.html

HTH,
Paul
Old April 14th 05, 07:48 AM
Peter Richards

Hi Paul,

On Thu, 31 Mar 2005 03:05:58 -0500, (Paul) wrote:

That card looks like it is AGP:

Yes, I checked a bit more, and actually found a manual for it, it is
dfinitely an AGP, therefore no good for the new mobo.

NVIDIA RIVA TNT2 Model 64
http://www.bolha.com/index.php/ukaz/bid/izd/728824

Your available options are PCI or PCI Express.

Looked through all my old boxes, and found what looks to be a 4MB
card, a bit old, but might do for a short term solution. Here are the
details on that:

Trident 3DImage 9750

and managed to find a driver, the chip had Trident-97 on it, and the
driver is marked 2000 on the website, but when I opened the .EXE, the
latest files were only 1998, so at least I probably have th latest
driver.

No doubt the video quality will be very poor, the one I have been
using is 32MB, and has been quite good, however for a few months it
won't hurt.

Here is the cheapest PCI video card I can find ($27.50). These
are typically used on servers, for occasional 2D use.

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...102-153&depa=0

Okay thanks, I might consider doing that if the quality is too poor
for general useage. The local computer man quoted AUD $145 for a 128Mb
PCI Express graphics card, don't know what manufacturuer or model
though.

And this is the cheapest PCI Express that is not a "Turbocache" ($62).
You could likely live with this for a desktop display, whereas the
Rage XL would drag you down:

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...102-153&depa=0

Many thanks for those links, and all your help,

Peter

Peter Richards

(but use hotmail to email)