quick question about windows 7 builds

Old June 9th 11, 08:12 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
John Doe

Default quick question about windows 7 builds

"Eric" winterlover skislopeheaven.com wrote:

I'm finally upgrading my computer to windows 7 and I was under
the impression that I did not have to install raid drivers from
a floppy during the initial windows 7 install like I did with XP
but when I go to my motherboard's website and select my OS to
download drivers it gives me the RAID drivers with just that
explination.

Try breaking that up into smaller parts.

I am assuming that this is a catch all for anyone running XP but
it has me concerned, will I have to find a floppy to start the
install?

Which motherboard? Post a link to your motherboard's website. Is RAID
working?
Old June 9th 11, 09:29 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Eric[_20_]

"John Doe" wrote in message
b.com...
"Eric" winterlover skislopeheaven.com wrote:

I'm finally upgrading my computer to windows 7 and I was under
the impression that I did not have to install raid drivers from
a floppy during the initial windows 7 install like I did with XP
but when I go to my motherboard's website and select my OS to
download drivers it gives me the RAID drivers with just that
explination.

Try breaking that up into smaller parts.

I am assuming that this is a catch all for anyone running XP but
it has me concerned, will I have to find a floppy to start the
install?

Which motherboard? Post a link to your motherboard's website. Is RAID
working?

RAID's definitely working because I can see it in the bios... but I've hit
another snag as it won't load from a SATA CD drive (says it's missing
drivers) and I don't have a older drive handy...
http://www.msi.com/product/mb/K9A2%2...r&os=Win7%2064

Old June 9th 11, 10:52 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Paul

Eric wrote:
"John Doe" wrote in message
b.com...
[...]

Before you start a project like that, you have the option to run the
Upgrade Advisor and see what it says.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/w...pgrade-advisor

During the install process itself, it is possible for an installer
to use BIOS calls to access hardware storage devices. That is why
sometimes, you can have an installer process work, and yet upon a
reboot, the OS won't start (because when the OS runs, it stops using
BIOS calls and uses the drivers the OS owns).

See what the Upgrade Advisor reports first. The Upgrade Advisor
may require .NET libraries, and the last couple of times I used
advisors, I needed to do additional downloads to meet the requirements
of running it. The Upgrade Advisor also doesn't support older
Windows OSes (which is stupid), so if say, you had a Windows 98 machine
and wanted to query whether the computer could run Windows 7,
the Advisor could not help. You need a relatively recent OS, to
get the Advisor to work.

Paul
Old June 10th 11, 01:25 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Eric[_20_]

"Paul" wrote in message
Eric wrote:
"John Doe" wrote in message
b.com...
[...]

Well the urge to upgrade to windows 7 was prompted by my main system drive
failing after 5 years of service. I guess I could install XP first then load
everything and run the advisor then just do a reinstall with Windows 7...
Thanks for the link and advice, I'll definitely look into it!