Bad wiring?

Old June 6th 11, 03:30 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Nobody > (Revisited)

Default Bad wiring?

On 6/2/2011 9:42 AM, Metspitzer wrote:
On Thu, 02 Jun 2011 23:55:05 +1000,
wrote:

On 1/06/2011 1:25 PM, Loren Pechtel wrote:
On Tue, 31 May 2011 15:28:23 -0400,
wrote:

You should buy a UPS. It is better to have one and not need it than
to need one and not have it. A good UPS will tell you if you have bad
power.

The power went out over here a week ago and I was web surfing in the
dark for about 30 min on my laptop.

Yeah. It's amazing how often mine cuts in for a moment. Most of the
time it's so short the power supply capacitors would hold it but at
least once a month in the summer it's long enough to blink the lights
and reboot an unprotected PC.

Mine cut in not ten minutes ago. I didn't see the lights flicker but
something upset my UPS. I have my computer, monitor and 3 NAS devices on
it. This particular computer was prone to crashing, with or without
lights flickering. Since I acquired the UPS, no more crashing.
Definitely good value.

Krypsis

Mine comes on at all times during the day for a brief second maybe
twice a day. I haven't bothered to verify it, but I think it is
because I have an CFL in the desk lamp.

Decent UPS-es often kick in far before the connected stuff would see a
problem with the inflow AC. It may be somewhat "crying wolf", but I'd
rather see/hear a few unexpected UPS flashes/beeps/screen notifications
(if connected to the target pc via a data cable) than the alternative.

It's just something you learn to live with.

This is just SWAG "Scientific Wild-Assed Guess", but the CFL could
easily be the cause. Try swapping in a plain bulb for a week or so.

I know the need for CFLs, but there's no money in the sales model to
account for crappy ones. I've had so many problems electrical and
interference problems with *all* brands of CFLs that I still keep a
supply of plain old "hot wire" bulbs on hand for those times when the
WiFi dies, the AM radios in the house are buzzed out, or I get "funky
breaker trips". I've had all these and more.

Right now, I've got at least 6 'open tickets' with CFL vendors over
defective bulbs. It's a waste of time, but at least it gets someone's
attention. A couple of years ago, I started an "email bitch" that
resulted in me getting a case of 24 75W equivalent CFLs without
notice... so bitching does work!

--
"**** this is it, all the pieces do fit.
We're like that crazy old man jumping
Old June 7th 11, 05:06 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Loren Pechtel[_2_]

On Sun, 05 Jun 2011 19:30:31 -0700, "Nobody (Revisited)"
wrote:

Decent UPS-es often kick in far before the connected stuff would see a
problem with the inflow AC. It may be somewhat "crying wolf", but I'd
rather see/hear a few unexpected UPS flashes/beeps/screen notifications
(if connected to the target pc via a data cable) than the alternative.

Exactly. Most of the times the UPS kicks in it's crying wolf. It's
no big deal. One beep, a notice pops up and that's that. So what?
Old June 7th 11, 05:45 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Nobody > (Revisited)

wrote:

Decent UPS-es often kick in far before the connected stuff would see a
problem with the inflow AC. It may be somewhat "crying wolf", but I'd
rather see/hear a few unexpected UPS flashes/beeps/screen notifications
(if connected to the target pc via a data cable) than the alternative.

Exactly. Most of the times the UPS kicks in it's crying wolf. It's
no big deal. One beep, a notice pops up and that's that. So what?

Eggzactly.... it's just knowing what to expect. Far too many n00bs will
literally "**** their pants" on that first beep.

I'm (unfortunately) the unpaid "IT Guy" for "friends and family".

You can guess the rest, but you didn't have to deal with the lathered-up
phone calls at "o-dark-thirty" over crap like this....

Old June 7th 11, 09:14 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Loren Pechtel[_2_]

wrote:

Decent UPS-es often kick in far before the connected stuff would see a
problem with the inflow AC. It may be somewhat "crying wolf", but I'd
rather see/hear a few unexpected UPS flashes/beeps/screen notifications
(if connected to the target pc via a data cable) than the alternative.

Exactly. Most of the times the UPS kicks in it's crying wolf. It's
no big deal. One beep, a notice pops up and that's that. So what?

Eggzactly.... it's just knowing what to expect. Far too many n00bs will
literally "**** their pants" on that first beep.

I'm (unfortunately) the unpaid "IT Guy" for "friends and family".

You can guess the rest, but you didn't have to deal with the lathered-up
phone calls at "o-dark-thirty" over crap like this....

If you know how to deal with these beasts you get the calls. At least
nobody except the office is going to call at o-dark-thirty.

Wiring for internet V.K. General 10 March 11th 06 05:01 PM
IDE Wiring tokeer.port5.com Storage (alternative) 12 October 29th 05 07:29 PM
fan wiring don ward General 1 May 30th 04 11:27 PM
Maxtor 200GB Harddrive -- clanking noise -- bad, bad, bad Tom Scales Storage (alternative) 9 February 26th 04 11:59 PM
Wiring question billmurray22 Homebuilt PC's 2 October 5th 03 06:02 PM