Getting Rid of Smoke Smell?

Old February 23rd 08, 01:25 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
-

Default Getting Rid of Smoke Smell?

I recently obtained an upgraded video card (a PNY Nvidia 6800 GT) to put
into my aging P4P800SE mobo. The card is great but problem is that the card
came from a computer that must have been used by a smoker. Its fan is
"spreading" the smell around. Is there anything that can be done to safely
wipe down the card?

I was wondering about the old trick I learned as Red Cross volunteer where
you put a wide plate filled an inch or so with white vinegar in a room with
a moderate smoke smell and it seems to get rid of the smell. I was thinking
about putting the card in a sealed container that also contains a cup
half-filled with the white vinegar. Would the fumes be too corrosive
though?

Thanks in advance for any hints and advice!

Old February 23rd 08, 03:02 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
First of One[_2_]

The vinegar fumes shouldn't harm the card. However, I don't think it will be
effective. If you can smell the smoke, that means there's soot, dirt and
other crap trapped in the heat sink fins.

Does your card's heat sink look like this?
http://img36.exs.cx/img36/7984/pny6800gt.jpg

Undo the 6 small screws around the perimeter of the heat sink cover (the
thin plate with the mermaid picture). Then wipe through the heat sink and
fan blades with isopropyl alcohol.

Old February 23rd 08, 06:40 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Mr.E Solved!

- wrote:
I recently obtained an upgraded video card (a PNY Nvidia 6800 GT) to put
into my aging P4P800SE mobo. The card is great but problem is that the card
came from a computer that must have been used by a smoker. Its fan is
"spreading" the smell around. Is there anything that can be done to safely
wipe down the card?

I was wondering about the old trick I learned as Red Cross volunteer where
you put a wide plate filled an inch or so with white vinegar in a room with
a moderate smoke smell and it seems to get rid of the smell. I was thinking
about putting the card in a sealed container that also contains a cup
half-filled with the white vinegar. Would the fumes be too corrosive
though?

Thanks in advance for any hints and advice!

Better yet, pick up the habit, bowls of vinegar indeed.
Old February 23rd 08, 09:59 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Rene

" -" schreef in bericht
I recently obtained an upgraded video card (a PNY Nvidia 6800 GT) to put
into my aging P4P800SE mobo. The card is great but problem is that the
card came from a computer that must have been used by a smoker. Its fan is
"spreading" the smell around. Is there anything that can be done to safely
wipe down the card?

I was wondering about the old trick I learned as Red Cross volunteer where
you put a wide plate filled an inch or so with white vinegar in a room
with a moderate smoke smell and it seems to get rid of the smell. I was
thinking about putting the card in a sealed container that also contains a
cup half-filled with the white vinegar. Would the fumes be too corrosive
though?

Thanks in advance for any hints and advice!

No idea what they are called in English but I would use these sticks which
You can use to clean Your ears, put some alcohol on them and go over all
pieces You can reach, esp. the heatsink and the fan. Only use clean alcohol,
i.e. not denaturated, because the latter might leave the stuff which is used
for the denaturation.

However, after some time the smell will get less and less. I used to have a
cousin that smoked a lot and I have bought several things from him, getting
this smell with them just like You, but when all "stench molecules" have
been blown away by the fan, they are gone for good.

Succes!
Yours sincerely
Rene

P.S. I looked for a picture and it seems that it is called a "white menbo",
You can see the picture on
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...hite_menbo.jpg.

Old February 23rd 08, 10:58 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
tpow

No idea what they are called in English but I would use these sticks which
You can use to clean Your ears,

Crab Sticks maybe.................

Old February 23rd 08, 04:05 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Inglo

On 2/23/2008 2:58 AM tpow brightened our day with:
No idea what they are called in English but I would use these sticks which
You can use to clean Your ears,

Crab Sticks maybe.................

Q-tips is the genericized term (brand name becomes common name).
Also referred to as cotton swabs.

--
"Out here on the perimeter there are no stars"

Steve --Inglo--
Old February 23rd 08, 06:30 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
-

Default Thanks - Getting Rid of Smoke Smell?

Thanks for all the suggestions. FWIW, I took the fan cover off and then
soaked the wide tip of soft medium sized paint brush with a bit of alcohol
and then used that to brush down all of heat sink fins/posts plus all of the
fan and housing. I then let it dry for a while. Finally, I put it in a box
with a bowl filled 1/8 full of white vinegar for about 2 hours. It seems to
have helped. I think leaving the card in the box with vinegar overnight
would have helped even more but I just wasn't sure if corrosion would be an
issue. I will live with it for a while and redo it again for longer (in the
box) if it continues to bother me.

Thanks again.

Old February 23rd 08, 08:30 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Rene

" -" schreef in bericht
Thanks for all the suggestions. FWIW, I took the fan cover off and then
soaked the wide tip of soft medium sized paint brush with a bit of alcohol
and then used that to brush down all of heat sink fins/posts plus all of
the fan and housing. I then let it dry for a while. Finally, I put it in
a box with a bowl filled 1/8 full of white vinegar for about 2 hours. It
seems to have helped. I think leaving the card in the box with vinegar
overnight would have helped even more but I just wasn't sure if corrosion
would be an issue. I will live with it for a while and redo it again for
longer (in the box) if it continues to bother me.

I would not do that. Vinegar is not good for electronics, it is an acid and
the fumes might indeed bring damage to Your card.

Yours sincerely,
Rene

P.S. A soft brush is too soft, next time, use these cottons sticks, You can
clean much more thoroughly with them.

Old February 23rd 08, 08:32 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Rene

"tpow" schreef in bericht

No idea what they are called in English but I would use these sticks
which
You can use to clean Your ears,

Crab Sticks maybe.................

Maybe You are referring to the Dutch verb "krabben" but Crab in English only
means "krab", the animal and has nothing to do with krabben ;-).

Thanks for thinking along anyway!
Yours sincerely,
Rene

Old February 24th 08, 02:03 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
First of One[_2_]

You'd have a hard time getting a q-tip between the heat sink fins in a
GF6800. You'd need either a brush or a comb.

"Rene" wrote in message

P.S. A soft brush is too soft, next time, use these cottons sticks, You
can clean much more thoroughly with them.

Removing Smoke Smell? - Asus Motherboards 2 February 23rd 08 10:01 PM
Smoke damage Chris S General 8 March 10th 06 08:14 PM
I smell smoke z Webcams 0 August 14th 05 01:57 AM
Smoke from my Abit NF7 OD2rileec General 6 April 25th 04 03:08 AM
WHY NOT TO SMOKE NEAR YOUR COMPUTER metronid Packard Bell Computers 3 December 8th 03 09:01 PM