Complete newbie, be nice please!

Old June 26th 03, 05:26 AM
James Keith

Default Complete newbie, be nice please!

Hi gang, been lurking for a while and have some ?'s.

My system:

K7 Athlon 750 (don't laugh)
(chip says AMD-K7750MTR52B A)
( 210027534591 ) does this mean anything
to anybody?
Biostar M7MKE MB
VIA Apollo KX133/686A Chipset
512MB generic PC-133 memory
Diamond ViperII Z200 video
250W generic power supply
Case and CPU fans out the wazzoo. Don't know what kinds, don't really care,
but they're loud as hell.

Yes, I know it's old and slow, but it works for me. I have just recently
become bitten by the "overclocking bug" and have decided to try my own hand
at eeking some more speed out of this old dinosaur. I have upped the CPU
clock speed to 110.0MHz by switching the jumpers on the MB. That's all I've
done. Oh yeah, I put some heat sink compound on, too. MBM reads 826MHz,
CPU temp runs about 86F and case temp about 95F on average. It runs rock
solid at this setting and has done so for 5 or 6 months now. I can run
SuperPI on it all day long and it never locks up. I don't want to waste
anybody's time but I am extremely interested in knowing if this old thing
can be overclocked any further. I don't necessarily need any more speed, I
just want to see how fast I can make it go just for the sake of doing so.

I appreciate your time and effort in educating me.

Jim

Old June 27th 03, 02:24 AM
Ed Light

"James Keith" wrote
K7 Athlon 750
clock speed to 110.0MHz by switching the jumpers on the MB.
MBM reads 826MHz

Do you actually notice a difference when computing?

--
Ed Light

Smiley :-/
MS Smiley :-\

Old June 30th 03, 07:00 PM
James Keith

That's a good question. When I overclocked I also upgraded my ram from 256
to 512 and put in a 7200 rpm hard drive. What do you recommend I do to
measure performance?
"Ed Light" wrote in message

"James Keith" wrote
K7 Athlon 750