Help, latest drivers will not install (Win98, SBLive! 5.1)

Old July 22nd 03, 07:38 PM
Jabba

Default Help, latest drivers will not install (Win98, SBLive! 5.1)

Hi all,
I have the stuttering sound problem, on a A7N8X\Barton2800+\512MB
RAM\Win98SE machine, APIC mode enabled. All the on-board devices excepth the
3COM NIC card are disabled.The sound card is in the middle PCI slot, the
rest of the slots are free, the PCI interrupt allocation is on Auto.

The BIOS lists the audio card as being (alone) on IRQ5. Win 98SE howver
lists it on IRQ11 together with the NIC.Which might explain some problems,
but then again, it might not, as I have disabled the NIC and the stuttering
is still there.

I am sure the drivers installer that I have on CD did not detect the
Barton as a MMX processor - it warned me right at the start of the
installation that I need a MMX processor to take advantage of everything the
card has to offer.That did not happen with my old 1.2GHz Athlon, but hey,
it's an old card, they say... I fixed that by manually editing the registry
and setting the "MMX" string to "1" in config key. Didn't help.
Reduced the audio sampling to lowest.Didn't help.
Moved card around in all available slots.Didn't help (always detected on
IRQ5, Windows says IRQ11, hmmm).

Anyway I tried downloading the latest drivers from Creative, they are from
April 2002, an exe that unzips to 4 archives .Mind you, I 've searched the
site using the code SB0100 , which is printed on my card, in small
letters.In big letter it says SBLIVE 5.1 and I am using it indeed in a
surround config.
The installer's saying I have no SBLive! card and exits.
Helllooooo????

To end it, I just want to say that on my previous config
(A7V133\Athlon1200\512MB RAM\Win98SE) I had no problems whatsoever with the
audio card.Running on 5.1 surround, full rich sound, 10% processor load.Go
figure...

I apreciate any ideas as I am out of my own.Either on the hardware side of
the problem, either on the drivers side.Upgrading to 2000\XP is not an
option as I am playing lots of DOS games.

Thanks for reading,

Jabba
Old July 22nd 03, 09:13 PM
Shepİ

On 22 Jul 2003 11:38:35 -0700, In this world we created
(Jabba) wrote :

[...]

Your SB is like mine e.g not a real one but an OEM one I think.
The only drivers that seem to work are the disk supplied ones and then
remove extra entries it places in Msconfig.
There are supposed to be some Dell drivers that will work but I don't
have a Dell so don't have a,"Tag" number to let me get the drivers
pack :/
Also I think it may be the supplied software that can cause it so
fully remove using the Control Panel/Add Remove Programs and
re-boot.Only the drivers should then be installed and or do a drivers
only install.

HTH

--
Free Windows/PC help,
Free songs download,
Old July 24th 03, 04:10 AM
Jabba

Oh, thanks, that was it, I remember now OEM being listed in the supplier's
offer, didn't think it differs significantly from the regular one...
I now have to find those elusive drivers, I have some friend Dell owners
which will help me get past the ticket thing.

Old July 24th 03, 08:17 PM
Shepİ

On Thu, 24 Jul 2003 03:10:16 GMT, In this world we created "Jabba"
wrote :

Oh, thanks, that was it, I remember now OEM being listed in the supplier's
offer, didn't think it differs significantly from the regular one...
I now have to find those elusive drivers, I have some friend Dell owners
which will help me get past the ticket thing.

If you do let me know please as I would like to try them on Win98SE
and WinXP

.. .