New Hard Drive

Old January 11th 04, 05:12 AM
PC Gladiator

Yes, the Intel 850 chipset so Intel Application Accelerator (IAA) should get
you beyond 137GB. You might want to remove the new drive and then install
IAA. Then shutdown and pull the power cord from the power supply. Replace
the data cable to the hard drives with the new one, install the new drive
and restart. Then reference those MS KB articles to set up the new drive.

From what I can see, it looks like your BIOS is at the latest version so
you're not going to get anywhere that way. IAA should work but if it
doesn't then you can always go with a controller card.

"RDBrimmer" wrote in message
OK,

I'll check the ribbons and I ran the utility and here's what I got back
Intel:850
Memory Controller: 82850/82850E
I/O:82801B (ICH2)
Internal Graphics: Not Detected or Disabled

Ron

PC Gladiator wrote:
You can run the Intel Chipset utility to identify your chipset.

http://downloadfinder.intel.com/scri...2&DwnldID=6541

If you're sure your existing data cable is correct then don't bother.
Otherwise replace your current data cable to the new drive with the new

one
that came with the 300GB drive since it might be an 80wire/40pin cable
versus the older 40wire/40pin data cable.

"RDBrimmer" wrote in message

Looked over the information that you reference but it looks like it is
all reference our chipsets not 850GB. I even look at Intels site and
support and driver and type in 850GB and only found two references. If I
missed something please let me know. I did not use the ribbon that came
with the controller for the 300GB drive as I did not connect that drive
to the controller. I connected it to my MB controller with my current
ribbon.

Ron

PC Gladiator wrote:

It appears you can install Intel Application Accelerator with the

chipset on

your motherboard (850) and get 48-bit LBA. Check these links.

http://support.intel.com/support/chipsets/iaa/lba.htm

http://support.intel.com/support/chi...a/instruct.htm

http://downloadfinder.intel.com/scri...su bmit=Go%21

BTW, did you use the new drive cable that came with the drive?

"RDBrimmer" wrote in message

I tried that from the start and it would recognize the drive but only
37GB. Even after reformatting it and converting it to NTSF it would

only
see the 137GB. When the formatting completed it took and ask if you
would like to use the entire drive or something to that effect.

The KB article does not show if you could reference me to what you had
to resolve this issue I would appreciate it.

Thanks,
Ron

PC Gladiator wrote:

I have ran into some problems with the Over Lay software. It has

made

my

Drive Image unusable. Any suggestions?

In your original post you state the above. You should not be using

any

type

of overlay software with this drive on your system. Start from the
beginning without using that software. Make sure it isn't running on

the

system.

See this KB article for info:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;[LN];309000

"RDBrimmer" wrote in message

Yes, it is XP Pro all upgrades and patches have been applied. My PC

is
only two years old. Just as a test I put another HD with XP Pro on

it
with all upgrades and patches but it did not see the partitions just
that there was a drive there and did not specify the kind of drive

or
any information about the drive in the Device Manager.Attached

profile.

Ron

PC Gladiator wrote:

You sure your relatively new motherboard doesn't support 48lba?
What OS? XP I presume. Do you have SP1 installed?

"RDBrimmer" wrote in message

I just installed a new 300G HD into (3) 71G partitions, it took

some
time getting is configured though. I have ran into some problems

with

the Over Lay software. It has made my Drive Image unusable. Any

suggestions?

Main Circuit Board
1900 megahertz Intel Pentium 4
8 kilobyte primary memory cache
256 kilobyte secondary memory cache
Board: Intel Corporation D850GB AAA49507-904
Serial Number: IMGB14421406
Bus Clock: 100 megahertz
BIOS: Intel Corp. GB85010A.15A.0046.P13.0108201551 08/20/2001

Thanks,
Ron

Old January 11th 04, 07:43 PM
RDBrimmer

I have the controller card that came with the drive it is a Promise
Ultra 133, it is the one that I have my 120GB WD drive on. So, I will
have to backup my data and then read over all the information you have
provided me and give it a try.

Appreciate your help.

Ron

PC Gladiator wrote:
Yes, the Intel 850 chipset so Intel Application Accelerator (IAA) should get
you beyond 137GB. You might want to remove the new drive and then install
IAA. Then shutdown and pull the power cord from the power supply. Replace
the data cable to the hard drives with the new one, install the new drive
and restart. Then reference those MS KB articles to set up the new drive.

From what I can see, it looks like your BIOS is at the latest version so

Old January 11th 04, 09:21 PM
PC Gladiator

Why didn't you connect it to this card to begin with? Since it supports
UDMA133, it'll give you better performance than your onboard controller and
it's 48-bit lba capable. What are your overall objectives and
configuration?

PC Gladiator wrote:
Yes, the Intel 850 chipset so Intel Application Accelerator (IAA) should

get
you beyond 137GB. You might want to remove the new drive and then

install
IAA. Then shutdown and pull the power cord from the power supply.

Replace
the data cable to the hard drives with the new one, install the new

drive
and restart. Then reference those MS KB articles to set up the new

drive.

From what I can see, it looks like your BIOS is at the latest version so

Old January 12th 04, 01:28 AM
RDBrimmer

My objectives are to keep consistent backup of data, OS & Program.
Including to keep my system updated so that I do not run into conflicts
like this one. I will be scanning a lot of pictures & editing music this
year that have stacked up over the years.

My configuration:
P4 1.9
512 Memory
80GB for OS & Programs (So will be able to make dual boot when new OS is
out)
300GB divided 4 partitions 71GB DATA, DATA Backup, Current Drive Images,
Restore Test Bed for Data and Restore of Images.
120 GB Archives of Drive Images
TDK CDRW 52X40X48
Purchasing a TDK DVD 840G 8X

Backup Drives
40GB Quantum OS/Program ready to go.
60GB Maxtor OS / Programs
120GB WD Data/ Data Backup.

I believe that when I initally started out I had the 300GB drive on the
controller and had the problem with the it seeing the whole drive. So,
if I move my data off the 300GB drive should I write 0's to it then
repartition it. I have to take it in to GW for it cleaning anyway, maybe
they will do some of the updates for me.

Ron

PC Gladiator wrote:

Yes, the Intel 850 chipset so Intel Application Accelerator (IAA) should

get

you beyond 137GB. You might want to remove the new drive and then

install

IAA. Then shutdown and pull the power cord from the power supply.

Replace

the data cable to the hard drives with the new one, install the new

drive

and restart. Then reference those MS KB articles to set up the new

drive.

From what I can see, it looks like your BIOS is at the latest version so

Old January 12th 04, 02:22 AM
Ben Myers

Ron,

" I have to take it in to GW for it cleaning anyway, maybe they will do some of
the updates for me."

Cleaning? Removal of dust and dirt from the chassis, power supply, and various
cooling fans? Save some money and some time. Pay a few bucks for a can of
compressed air. Take the cover off the computer, and carry the chassis outside
when it is neither raining nor snowing. Spray compressed air inside the power
supply, on all the fans, in all the corners where dust and dirt have
accumulated. Keep doing so until no more clouds of dust emerge from the
computer.

Cleaning of software? Removal of temporary and other garbage files that
accumulate? Try My Computer, then RIGHT-click on the C: drive, click on
properties, then click Drive Cleanup. Cleanup and defrag of registry? Any one
of a number of software tools can do this job well.

"...they will do some of the updates for me." Which updates? But not for
cheap. Be prepared to pay the going rate for whatever it is. My rate charged
to customers is $100/hr + materials. Sounds high, but the job gets done
right... Ben Myers

On Mon, 12 Jan 2004 01:28:55 GMT, RDBrimmer wrote:

[...]

A VERY BIG SNIP!
Old January 12th 04, 04:52 AM
RDBrimmer

Ben,

Thanks for the information though I have built a good relationship with
my service people and usally they take good care of me. They clean they
floppy,DVD and CDRW check all the cables and ribbons. I also have them
run a complete test on the PC as if anythings shows up I try to get them
to take care of it.

Ron

Ron,