Geforce Ti 4200 and new Nvidia drivers

Old July 20th 04, 08:23 PM
Egil Solberg

Default Geforce Ti 4200 and new Nvidia drivers

I have tried some 50 and 60 series of Detonators including the 61.76 and
previous official driver. And I each time find that I have to revert back to
my 45.23 drivers.
When I turn on PC and switch from initial bootup screen to normal desktop,
there is of course a screen resolution change (monitor goes black with a
click, and comes up back again). With these later drivers, there are 2
clicks like this. And everytime I want to adjust video properties, there is
this attempt at resolution change again for no purpose. However,the
resolution does not change, it stays at 1280x1024@85Hz. This behaviour does
not occur with the 40 series of drivers.

I know that I will not see any performance boosts by running latest drivers,
but I am interested in features (like not having to use nvrefreshtool to fix
refresh rates, game compatibility, general compatibility and optimization
towards my motherboard's nforce2-drivers).

I have seen this behavior mentioned by others, when searching Google, but I
have never seen a kind if fix for this.

Do you guys with newer FX-cards and 6800ers have this behaviour as well? Or
is it only a problem for older cards with new drivers?

By the way, when testing 3DMark2001SE (330) with latest driver 61.76, the
horse in "point sprites"-scene is completely messed up. Shows fine with
45.23.

Please do not tell me crap stories about 45.23s being designed for my
gfx-card. If that was so, nvidia should release more 40 series drivers and
ditch their UDP-structure, because then it would be useless.
Pure speed is not most important for me.

Old July 20th 04, 09:24 PM
Egil Solberg

Sharanga Dayananda wrote:

The screen resolution changing thing happens when you change the
desktop resolution using the nVidia change resolution sub-applet in
display properties instead of the Windows display applet change
resolution thing. Even if you change it back to 800x600 from the
nVidia panel and then change it from the main display properties
panel. You'll find the display clicking when you log off and on until
you reboot.

Thank you for a very informative answer. Just to clarify, if I try to
totally keep away from the "change resolution" sub-applet in the drivers and
just use Windows for that, do you think that will work? I noticed that the
behaviour was not there immediately after installing the driver, came after
1 reboot.
Will I get this behaviour from adjusting refresh rates in the driver's
control panel as well?
And...I could just try and see

Old July 20th 04, 09:31 PM
Spack

"Egil Solberg" wrote in message
I have tried some 50 and 60 series of Detonators including the 61.76 and
previous official driver. And I each time find that I have to revert back

my 45.23 drivers.
When I turn on PC and switch from initial bootup screen to normal desktop,
there is of course a screen resolution change (monitor goes black with a
click, and comes up back again). With these later drivers, there are 2
clicks like this. And everytime I want to adjust video properties, there

is
this attempt at resolution change again for no purpose. However,the
resolution does not change, it stays at 1280x1024@85Hz. This behaviour

does
not occur with the 40 series of drivers.

I don't have this problem at all with the 56.72 drivers on my Ti4200 under
Win 2K Pro. Will be upgrading the PC to Win XP later in the week, but I
don't anticipate any issues with that either as I'd already run the Ti4200
under XP on my main PC (which now runs the same 56.72 drivers on an
FX5900XT).

Dan

Old July 20th 04, 10:05 PM
Sharanga Dayananda

The thing is offical det 60s will support glSlang ( OpenGL High Level Shader
Language ) on the geforce fx. I have heard that 'twill be supported on GF3
and GF4 Ti as well partially.

I dunno. If a game comes out which needs glSlang support, you'll basically
need the 60 series dets.

The screen resolution changing thing happens when you change the desktop
resolution using the nVidia change resolution sub-applet in display
properties instead of the Windows display applet change resolution thing.
Even if you change it back to 800x600 from the nVidia panel and then change
it from the main display properties panel. You'll find the display clicking
when you log off and on until you reboot.

I used to have a Ti 4200 and now an FX and they both did that with anything
higher than 4x.xx. I've got WinXP to auto logon on bootup and with the 5x.xx
it used to show me my desktop wallpaper before logging on automatically (
i.e. wallpaper, blue XP screen and then the desktop proper )., Det 6x.xx
betas don't do that anymore.

Cheers
Sharanga

Old July 20th 04, 10:33 PM
Egil Solberg

Sharanga Dayananda wrote:
[...]

Seems as problem solved. I had previously specified Refresh rate override to
85Hz for 1280x1024 (as I also use on desktop), for my games. I also
specified refresh rate 100Hz for 1024x768 which is the game resolution I use
the most. Setting an override (even if it is the same as my normal desktop
mode) probably caused the drivers to kick in and correct it, even if there
was nothing to correct.
I removed the override and now it works fine again. Problem exist though,
when I want to run a game that cannot set refreshrate itself, and I want it
to run at my desktop resolution. Well I'll see.
Thank you again.

Old July 20th 04, 10:48 PM
Egil Solberg

Sharanga Dayananda wrote:
If you use only the force refresh rate setting you should be fine.

Yes, I thought it worked fine here for a while, now I tried to enable
"coolbits", and it started all over again. Removed the registry entry, but
it still wants to make a blink with the screen to me, now only the first
time I go into display properties. It is driving me mad. Well, have to
investigate further tomorrow.

Old July 20th 04, 10:52 PM
Egil Solberg

Egil Solberg wrote:
Sharanga Dayananda wrote:
If you use only the force refresh rate setting you should be fine.

Yes, I thought it worked fine here for a while, now I tried to enable
"coolbits", and it started all over again. Removed the registry
entry, but it still wants to make a blink with the screen to me, now
only the first time I go into display properties. It is driving me
mad. Well, have to investigate further tomorrow.

Or now A couple of reboots did the trick. It has overcome my attempt at
enabling coolbits. But it's a pity I cannot enable coolbits without this
behaviour. I wish nvidia would just have stuck with the original design from
the 4X.XX drivers.

Old July 21st 04, 12:26 AM
DaveW

The 5x.xx and 6x.xx drivers are not stable with the Ti4200 card. The new
drivers are DX9 capable; the 4200 card is NOT.

--
DaveW

Old July 21st 04, 12:38 AM
CapFusion

"Egil Solberg" wrote in message

Or now A couple of reboots did the trick. It has overcome my attempt at
enabling coolbits. But it's a pity I cannot enable coolbits without this
behaviour. I wish nvidia would just have stuck with the original design

from
the 4X.XX drivers.

Just out of curiousity. Can you check in System Information - Hardware
Resource - Conflict / Sharing for any sharing resources? If there too many
device using the same resources, your card may simply will not work
correctly or missing certain feature or function.

CapFusion,...