3 wire power led cable-2 wire MoBo connection

Old December 17th 11, 08:51 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Allen Drake

Default 3 wire power led cable-2 wire MoBo connection

For sometime now I have been trying to find a solution to this
situation but I can't seem to locate it. The cable has a three
conductor end and the boards I have all have two pins.

I purchased these

http://www.xoxide.com/highspeedpc-atxpowerbracket.html

http://ep.yimg.com/ca/I/yhst-3908376...2189_440682464

among others. I have found this workaround everywhere

http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/1004447

"Repin the cable by lifting the tab/flap using a mini screwdriver or
similar. Pull out one of the wires and move it to the hole in middle."

This is not satisfactory to me as I already ruined.

So-WTFIGO. Is there no simple cable adaptor that I can buy?

Thanks.
Al.
Old December 17th 11, 11:13 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
SC Tom

"Allen Drake" wrote in message ...

For sometime now I have been trying to find a solution to this
situation but I can't seem to locate it. The cable has a three
conductor end and the boards I have all have two pins.

I purchased these

http://www.xoxide.com/highspeedpc-atxpowerbracket.html

http://ep.yimg.com/ca/I/yhst-3908376...2189_440682464

among others. I have found this workaround everywhere

http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/1004447

"Repin the cable by lifting the tab/flap using a mini screwdriver or
similar. Pull out one of the wires and move it to the hole in middle."

This is not satisfactory to me as I already ruined.

So-WTFIGO. Is there no simple cable adaptor that I can buy?

Thanks.
Al.

I've had to re-pin my connectors a few times (most recently when I changed MB's). By using the point of a sharp-tapered
X-acto knife, I have very little trouble lifting the plastic tab enough to slide the connector out. If you feel you
can't do this well enough to keep from ruining it, then you could do like one of your links said. Cut the connector in
two down the middle (unused) hole, then trim the excess plastic off each side.

If you have any old cables (like the 4-pin CD sound ones), you could make your own adapter. Cut through the third hole
(you'll lose that one and number 4), cut the two wires to the length you want them. Strip them back about 3/8" and tin
them well with your soldering iron and a good solder. Push those tips into the holes on your 3-pin plug. Once you are
sure you are making a good connection, put a drop of Elmer's glue just at the point where the insulation touches the
plastic of the 3-hole plug. It will hold it well enough, but you can pick it off once it's dry if you need the 3-hole
for another MB or something else.
--
SC Tom

Old December 17th 11, 11:44 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
VanguardLH[_2_]

Allen Drake wrote:

For sometime now I have been trying to find a solution to this
situation but I can't seem to locate it. The cable has a three
conductor end and the boards I have all have two pins.

I purchased these

http://www.xoxide.com/highspeedpc-atxpowerbracket.html

http://ep.yimg.com/ca/I/yhst-3908376...2189_440682464

among others. I have found this workaround everywhere

http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/1004447

"Repin the cable by lifting the tab/flap using a mini screwdriver or
similar. Pull out one of the wires and move it to the hole in middle."

This is not satisfactory to me as I already ruined.

So-WTFIGO. Is there no simple cable adaptor that I can buy?

You don't NEED the phenolic casing for the female connectors (at the end
of the Power LED). You could just remove the female connectors from the
plastic shroud and slide the female connectors directly onto the mobo
pins. The plastic is there to prevent shorting. If there is some
looseness in the connection where you fear the female connectors on the
pins might wiggle around to touch each other, get some heatshrink
tubing. Get some that is just larger than the female connector, cut a
piece off that's longer than the female connector, slide over the female
connector, and use a match (be careful as too much heat will over-shrink
the tubing and cause it to split and you start over) or a heatgun to
shrink the heatshrink tubing over the connector. So instead of having
the pins fixed inside a plastic shell, they are separate wires that you
have to know in which order to connect; however, it's pretty easy to see
when you have them connected backwards since the LED won't be lit when
you power up the system.

http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...ductId=2102875
http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...ductId=2104090
http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...ductId=2062662

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-j98tkAbh8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LD9kBax1DDk
Old December 18th 11, 12:52 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Allen Drake

On Sat, 17 Dec 2011 18:13:23 -0500, "SC Tom" wrote:

[...]

Thanks for the reply SC Tom. One time I would have no problem doing
any of that but these days and my huge fingers and hands finds it
extremely difficult even to attach the small connectors to the header
on the board. This old vision isn't what it used to be either so I was
really hoping for an adaptor cable ready made after all the posts I
have seen regarding this common situation. I already butchered my
first attempt and have the scars to prove it

I was able to find an old case that I scavenged finding a two
conductor cable with both female ends. I cut and bent some pieces of a
paper clip and inserted each end into the cable ends and taped them
together for now. Later I want to somehow shorten this and bond them
more permanent.

Thanks again.
Al.
Old December 18th 11, 01:03 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Allen Drake

On Sat, 17 Dec 2011 17:44:48 -0600, VanguardLH wrote:

Allen Drake wrote:

[...]

Thanks for the links. It's been a long time since I used heat shrink
tubing. I used to be an amateur radio operator several decades ago
and can remember using a soldering iron. Even getting it close was
enough to do it's work and shrink that stuff. I will give it a try
somehow hoping to make a connector that I can use with my Tech Station
so it will have to be something I can reuse as many times as I can.
Maybe if I can do that cut and epoxy it back I can make it work. I was
surprised to find that after all these years no one has made the right
connector.

Thanks.

Al.
Old December 18th 11, 03:56 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
SC Tom

[...]

My eyes are so bad for close work, it really doesn't matter much if I have one of my multiple pairs of glasses on or
not. And my fingertips haven't been the same since I got frostbit 50 years ago, so I bought one of these quite a while
ago:

http://www.amazon.com/Combo-Solderin..._sbs_indust_56

I put shrink tubing on each of the clip jaws to keep them from biting into wire insulation.
Another plus is that it keeps my hands away from the tips of sharp and/or hot objects :-)
--
SC Tom

Old December 18th 11, 12:18 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Allen Drake

On Sat, 17 Dec 2011 22:56:29 -0500, "SC Tom" wrote:

[...]

That's sort of funny. We are like two peas in a pod and about the
same age I bet. I saw that "Third Hand Tool" at the video link
supplied by VanguardLH as I have one sitting here within reach. I
could use those Tweezers though as mine are quite old and battered. I
think they have that combo at the local Radio Shack. I have to go out
later so I will give it a try. I did replace the clips at one point
with better ones that lasted longer and have an assortment of them I
can switch out. I always wanted to do something with the joints. Maybe
some Flexible Gooseneck and a large clamp to attach to the end of a
table.Then I'd need a light or 2 attached to the base. What if I
added a robotic arm that held the heat gun. I could add a holder for
my coffee bug with a sandwich tray. Yea, that's the ticket.

Old December 18th 11, 01:06 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
SC Tom

[...]

65. Look through the "helping hands" on Amazon. There is one called the octopus (although I guess technically it should
be a "quadripus" since it has 4 flex arms), and numerous others with lights, magnets, dual power magnifiers, solder iron
holders, and the clamp to hold it to the table :-) From the looks of some of the ones on external links, they can be
customized to include just about anything you want, maybe even including a mug holder/warmer :-)

Good luck with whatever method you choose to solve your problem. To answer one of your other questions, I think the
reason you don't see any adaptors for this is the cost versus demand. There probably isn't much demand for it, and even
though the material cost would be pennies, there's still labor and other overhead to add in. Just not too cost
effective. Of course, that's just my HAWO; others may have their own :-)
--
SC Tom

Old December 18th 11, 03:12 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Allen Drake

On Sun, 18 Dec 2011 08:06:23 -0500, "SC Tom" wrote:

[...]

Ooow.....Those are nice. Makes me want to start doing stuff I used to
do when I was a pup.

Good luck with whatever method you choose to solve your problem. To answer one of your other questions, I think the
reason you don't see any adaptors for this is the cost versus demand. There probably isn't much demand for it, and even
though the material cost would be pennies, there's still labor and other overhead to add in. Just not too cost
effective. Of course, that's just my HAWO; others may have their own :-)

With all the included cables and extras I have in my junk box one
would think someone could include one in something. They could charge
90 cents and $12.98 for shipping like some of the other little things
I see online.

I guess I will be looking forward to getting back into tinkering.
I've just had it to easy lately.

Old December 18th 11, 03:32 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
SC Tom

[...]

Don't you just love the P&H charges? What a crock! I worked in shipping and receiving at two different jobs over my
working lifetime and the only time I ever saw charges like that on something under 2 pounds was if it was next day AM
delivery, or guaranteed Saturday. I love the ones that charge shipping depending on the value of the items shipped.
What!?! 2 ounces of silver coins costs more to ship than 2 ounces of lead slugs? Really? The only ones that are even
close to being real are the ones that have a flat rate of $5.95 or $7.95, or similar. And 2 day air? Don't get me
started. I order tennis stuff from Baltimore on a Monday (shipping to South Carolina), and it's here Wednesday using UPS
Ground (which is actually short for "ground to a friggin' halt").
Then there are the ones that charge shipping on EACH item, even though they are in the same box, from the same
warehouse. GRRR!!

Sorry for the OT rant. That kind of gouging just ticks me off to no end :-(
--
SC Tom