Pentium 4E and Abit IC7G configuration

Old March 6th 04, 06:52 AM
Agamemnon

Default Pentium 4E and Abit IC7G configuration

Can anybody tell me if the following configuration for an Abit IC7G
motherboard will work with a Pentium 4E (Prescott) processor and how far it
might be able to over clock. Does the Pentium 4E come with a heat sink or do
you have to buy one separately ?

I've heard there are issues with the IC7G and memory compatibility but the
articles I read date back over 6 months so have the issues now been fixed or
are there brands I should avoid. I know that the latest BIOS update supports
the Prescott but has anyone actually set one up and got it to work.

(All this will run on a UK mains supply )

Novatech Crest Athlon/Pentium4 MidiATX Tower Case 350W PSU 4x5.25", 8x3.5"
(6 Int.)

Abit IC7G Socket 478 875P 800FSB Dual DDR400 8xAGP Serial ATA RAID ATX
Motherboard

Pentium 4E 3.0 1MB S478 800FSB Box

StarTech Premium Copper Pentium 4 CPU HS & Fan

2x Crucial Technology 512MB 184Pin DIMM PC3200 DDR (from DABS) ?
or 2x... 400MHz 184Pin 512MB PC3200 DDR RAM DIMM 2.5V 3.2Gb/Sec (from
Novatech and £8 cheeper) ?
or Original 400MHz 184Pin 512MB PC3200 DDR RAM DIMM 2.5V 3.2Gb/Sec (from
Novatech) ?

DiamondMax Plus9 160GB SATA150

Micro-Star GeForce FX5700 256MB DDR AGP DVI VIVO

Plextor DVD+-R/RW 8x Int IDE Retail PX-708A

Teac Floppy Drive 235HF - Removable disk drive - floppy disk - 1.44 MB

CTX EX951F - Display - CRT - 19" - 1600 x 1200 / 77 Hz - 0.21 mm

Thanks in advance.

Old March 6th 04, 08:40 AM
atwifa

Pentium 4E 3.0 1MB S478 800FSB Box

the 'Retail Box' (or sometimes just 'Box') CPUs from Intel come with a
suitable heatsink and fan.

StarTech Premium Copper Pentium 4 CPU HS & Fan

so there's probably no need for the above, as the Intel is a very capable
unit

2x Crucial Technology 512MB 184Pin DIMM PC3200 DDR (from DABS) ?

you can order direct from crucial (www.crucial.com/uk) - this way you *know*
that the memory is compatible with the motherboard

CTX EX951F - Display - CRT - 19" - 1600 x 1200 / 77 Hz - 0.21 mm

in my experience the CTX brand is outperformed in all areas by the Iiyama
Vision Master Pro 454. it's about the best 19" crt money can buy.

is your intended motherboard the IC7-G max 3?

Thanks in advance.

Old March 6th 04, 07:21 PM
Agamemnon

"atwifa" wrote in message
Pentium 4E 3.0 1MB S478 800FSB Box

the 'Retail Box' (or sometimes just 'Box') CPUs from Intel come with a
suitable heatsink and fan.

StarTech Premium Copper Pentium 4 CPU HS & Fan

so there's probably no need for the above, as the Intel is a very capable
unit

Ok.

2x Crucial Technology 512MB 184Pin DIMM PC3200 DDR (from DABS) ?

you can order direct from crucial (www.crucial.com/uk) - this way you

*know*
that the memory is compatible with the motherboard

CTX EX951F - Display - CRT - 19" - 1600 x 1200 / 77 Hz - 0.21 mm

in my experience the CTX brand is outperformed in all areas by the Iiyama
Vision Master Pro 454. it's about the best 19" crt money can buy.

Thanks for the advice. I'll check it out.

is your intended motherboard the IC7-G max 3?

No. Just the standard. I cant see any difference in specification between
them apart from cooling and the max 3 does not have parallel and serial
sockets meaning I cant use my printer or modem.

Thanks in advance.