My work's Lenovo W530's internal drive doesn't burn discs fully.

Old January 5th 16, 06:21 AM posted to comp.sys.laptops.thinkpad,ibm.ibmpc.thinkpad,alt.comp.periphs.cdr
Ant

Default My work's Lenovo W530's internal drive doesn't burn discs fully.

Hello.

I have had this Lenovo W530, from work, since June 2015. I finally
started using its internal Mat****a DVD-RAM UJ8C0 (SB01) disc drive to
burn to small old CDs (unused CD-Rs & CD-RWs) recently. However, IT's
preinstalled 64-bit Windows 7 EE SP1's system image creator and
downloaded ImgBurn v2.5.8.0 (with a downloaded 247 MB ISO file) could
not fully write to my CDs. I had no problems erasing my old CD-RW. I
tried copying a very old burned 650 MB CD-R to its local SSD, and it was
fine. So, it sounds like this physical drive has write issues? Or is it
something else?

Thank you in advance.
--
Quote of the Week: "The ant's a centaur in his dragon world. Pull down
thy vanity, it is not man... Made courage, or made order, or made
Old January 31st 16, 07:44 PM posted to comp.sys.laptops.thinkpad,ibm.ibmpc.thinkpad,alt.comp.periphs.cdr
Joe[_32_]

In ibm.ibmpc.thinkpad Ant wrote:
Hello.

I have had this Lenovo W530, from work, since June 2015. I finally
started using its internal Mat****a DVD-RAM UJ8C0 (SB01) disc drive to
burn to small old CDs (unused CD-Rs & CD-RWs) recently. However, IT's
preinstalled 64-bit Windows 7 EE SP1's system image creator and
downloaded ImgBurn v2.5.8.0 (with a downloaded 247 MB ISO file) could
not fully write to my CDs. I had no problems erasing my old CD-RW. I
tried copying a very old burned 650 MB CD-R to its local SSD, and it was
fine. So, it sounds like this physical drive has write issues? Or is it
something else?

Thank you in advance.

Probably bad discs. Hold them up to a light and see if there's
discoloration (rust spots) or pinholes. This is CD rot and quite common
on cheap CD-R brands.

I used to use no-name brands for years and checking the ATIP information
on the disc, they were usually CMC Magnetics and the discs were bad
after a year or two. Since then I moved to Taiyo Yudens, bought a whole
distributor case and haven't had an issue to this day.

Hope that helps,

Joe
Old February 1st 16, 02:12 AM posted to comp.sys.laptops.thinkpad,ibm.ibmpc.thinkpad,alt.comp.periphs.cdr
Ant

In alt.comp.periphs.cdr Joe wrote:
In ibm.ibmpc.thinkpad Ant wrote:
Hello.

I have had this Lenovo W530, from work, since June 2015. I finally
started using its internal Mat****a DVD-RAM UJ8C0 (SB01) disc drive to
burn to small old CDs (unused CD-Rs & CD-RWs) recently. However, IT's
preinstalled 64-bit Windows 7 EE SP1's system image creator and
downloaded ImgBurn v2.5.8.0 (with a downloaded 247 MB ISO file) could
not fully write to my CDs. I had no problems erasing my old CD-RW. I
tried copying a very old burned 650 MB CD-R to its local SSD, and it was
fine. So, it sounds like this physical drive has write issues? Or is it
something else?

Thank you in advance.

Probably bad discs. Hold them up to a light and see if there's
discoloration (rust spots) or pinholes. This is CD rot and quite common
on cheap CD-R brands.

Are Sony, OfficeMax, etc. cheap brands?

I used to use no-name brands for years and checking the ATIP information
on the disc, they were usually CMC Magnetics and the discs were bad
after a year or two. Since then I moved to Taiyo Yudens, bought a whole
distributor case and haven't had an issue to this day.

Ah. However, I did think I fixed it by upgrading the drive's firmware
from Lenovo. So far, no coasters.
--
Quote of the Week: "Even the ant has his (her) bite." --Turkish
Old February 8th 16, 09:09 PM posted to comp.sys.laptops.thinkpad,ibm.ibmpc.thinkpad,alt.comp.periphs.cdr
Joe[_32_]

[...]

Sony used to be ok but I doubt they make their discs anymore. Officemax
falls into the cheap category, I used to use the Staples ones and
anything from that time is mostly unreadable now. I'm not sure in
windows how to check the atip, in linux just run cdrecord -atip and it
will tell you the manufacturer of the disc.

I used to use no-name brands for years and checking the ATIP information
on the disc, they were usually CMC Magnetics and the discs were bad
after a year or two. Since then I moved to Taiyo Yudens, bought a whole
distributor case and haven't had an issue to this day.

Ah. However, I did think I fixed it by upgrading the drive's firmware
from Lenovo. So far, no coasters.

That's always a good thing to do, Will add newer supported disc types.
Good to hear it works again!

Joe