In celebration of World Backup Day, March 31

Old March 29th 18, 06:54 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Lynn McGuire[_3_]

Default In celebration of World Backup Day, March 31

In celebration of World Backup Day, March 31, I will be changing our
next to last 4 TB internal backup hard drive for a 8 TB hard drive
stripped from an external USB drive.

https://www.backblaze.com/blog/world...-up-the-world/

I ordered another WD 8 TB external USB drive from Big River yesterday to
replace the last 4 TB internal drive. I will probably get to that in a
month or so. Surely by the end of the year.

https://www.amazon.com/Book-Desktop-...dp/B01LQQHLGC/

Lynn
Old March 29th 18, 08:06 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Mark Perkins

On Thu, 29 Mar 2018 12:54:08 -0500, Lynn McGuire
wrote:

In celebration of World Backup Day, March 31, I will be changing our
next to last 4 TB internal backup hard drive for a 8 TB hard drive
stripped from an external USB drive.

https://www.backblaze.com/blog/world...-up-the-world/

I ordered another WD 8 TB external USB drive from Big River yesterday to
replace the last 4 TB internal drive. I will probably get to that in a
month or so. Surely by the end of the year.

https://www.amazon.com/Book-Desktop-...dp/B01LQQHLGC/

What do you do with the drives that you take out of service?

At the moment, I've got 10 2TB drives in a cabinet drawer that I'm not
sure what to do with, and I have a 15-drive mix of 2TB and 4TB drives in
service that, if I upgraded to 8TB models, I could drastically reduce
the drive count. Then I'd have even more pulled-from-service drives that
I wouldn't know what to do with. All 15 of the 2TB drives were purchased
in 2009 when the price dropped under $70, while the 4TB units were more
recently purchased in 2014.

Old March 29th 18, 09:51 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Lynn McGuire[_3_]

wrote:

[...]

I either stick them in a drawer or repurpose them in a very limited
manner. When the drawer gets too full, I take my hammer and screwdriver
and punch a hole through the platters.

Lynn

Old March 29th 18, 10:32 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Mark Perkins

On Thu, 29 Mar 2018 15:51:31 -0500, Lynn McGuire
wrote:

On 3/29/2018 2:06 PM, Mark Perkins wrote:

What do you do with the drives that you take out of service?

I either stick them in a drawer or repurpose them in a very limited
manner. When the drawer gets too full, I take my hammer and screwdriver
and punch a hole through the platters.

OK, thanks for the info. I'll probably do something similar. You get to
a point where it doesn't make sense to run so many drives. For me, at 15
data drives and an SSD in a PCIe bracket, the rig is full. I could
easily add SATA ports, but there's nowhere to put more drives. I'm
starting to lean toward migrating to a much smaller number of bigger
drives.

Old March 30th 18, 12:20 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Percival P. Cassidy

On 03/29/2018 04:51 PM, Lynn McGuire wrote:

In celebration of World Backup Day, March 31, I will be changing our
next to last 4 TB internal backup hard drive for a 8 TB hard drive
stripped from an external USB drive.

https://www.backblaze.com/blog/world...-up-the-world/

I ordered another WD 8 TB external USB drive from Big River yesterday to
replace the last 4 TB internal drive.Â*Â* I will probably get to that in a
month or so.Â* Surely by the end of the year.

https://www.amazon.com/Book-Desktop-...dp/B01LQQHLGC/

What do you do with the drives that you take out of service?

At the moment, I've got 10 2TB drives in a cabinet drawer that I'm not
sure what to do with, and I have a 15-drive mix of 2TB and 4TB drives in
service that, if I upgraded to 8TB models, I could drastically reduce
the drive count. Then I'd have even more pulled-from-service drives that
I wouldn't know what to do with. All 15 of the 2TB drives were purchased
in 2009 when the price dropped under $70, while the 4TB units were more
recently purchased in 2014.

I either stick them in a drawer or repurpose them in a very limited
manner.Â* When the drawer gets too full, I take my hammer and screwdriver
and punch a hole through the platters.

All the drives I've taken out of service recently have bad sectors,
which is why they were removed from service. Since they are formatted
ZFS, I'm not sure that physically damaging them is worth the effort; I
might just take them to the local computer-recycling store.

Perce