LED Monitor question

Old July 30th 03, 04:12 AM
Rocket

Default LED Monitor question

LCD monitors come in three basic flavors; most are analog, some support both
analog & digital, and a few very expensive models support digital only
(these are usually used only for high-end professional digital editing &
production).
Any video card will be able to use the analog interface but only a card that
supports and has a DVI interface will be able to utilize the digital
quality.
The true video connoisseur will appreciate the digital clarity but old
half-blind folks like me must have it although not appreciate it quite as
much. Additionally, LCDs look best only at their native resolution, either
1280 x 1024 or 1024 x 768. Straying from the native res will most times look
a tad cruddy even to me.
--
Rocket

"Observer3" wrote in message
It is my understanding that Flat Panel LCD monitors can be connected
via the standard analog port, which all desktop computers have, or digital
DVI port. The computer's video card must have a DVI port for the latter
option to work.

Question: how much of a difference is there in picture quality

between
the analog and digital signals?

Old July 30th 03, 04:28 AM
Rocket

Sorry, I made an errant statement.
I previously mentioned that all video cards would support analog... just for
information, some AGP cards (like mine) have two DVI's and no analog
interface.
My card is an MSI 8Xtreme128MB GeForce4 Ti4600 8x Dual DVI-I/S-video/VIVO.
I does come with a VGA adapter though.
--
Rocket

Old July 30th 03, 04:42 AM
Dan G

Hopefully, an LCD that has DVI input is of a higher quality that will
benefit from it's use. But sadly, this is not always the case.
DVI eliminates much of the need for adjusting settings, provides higher
contrast, sharpness and deeper color, eliminates any signal loss or
degradation that can occur in the analog mode, and generally gives you the
most from a better monitor.
So if you're spending $500+ for a good LCD, you'll want a video card with
DVI to get the most from it.