SpeedFan temperature readings

Old May 1st 08, 07:27 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
CarpathiaMan

Default SpeedFan temperature readings

Hello,

Anyone here familiar with the utility called SpeedFan? I installed it
because I wanted to determine the temperature of my CPU, and I need
help interpreting the information.

There's a reading labeled "CPU", and then one for each of my cores
labeled "Core 0", "Core 1", etc. I have an Intel Core 2 Quad running
at the stock speed of 2.50 GHz.

"CPU" goes as low as 31C on idle and goes up to 38C on load, whereas
the readouts for the individual cores idle in the 40s and go up to 55C
on load.

Which of these readings should I care about? The one labeled "CPU" or
the ones for the individual cores? Do you think these readings are
accurate?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

(By the way, I have a Tuniq Tower 120 heatsink.)
Old May 1st 08, 09:15 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
darklight

CarpathiaMan wrote:

Hello,

Anyone here familiar with the utility called SpeedFan? I installed it
because I wanted to determine the temperature of my CPU, and I need
help interpreting the information.

There's a reading labeled "CPU", and then one for each of my cores
labeled "Core 0", "Core 1", etc. I have an Intel Core 2 Quad running
at the stock speed of 2.50 GHz.

"CPU" goes as low as 31C on idle and goes up to 38C on load, whereas
the readouts for the individual cores idle in the 40s and go up to 55C
on load.

Which of these readings should I care about? The one labeled "CPU" or
the ones for the individual cores? Do you think these readings are
accurate?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

(By the way, I have a Tuniq Tower 120 heatsink.)

can you provide the temp readings for each core under idle and load then the
termal temp.
Old May 1st 08, 11:34 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
code_wrong

"CarpathiaMan" wrote in message
t...
Hello,

Anyone here familiar with the utility called SpeedFan? I installed it
because I wanted to determine the temperature of my CPU, and I need
help interpreting the information.

There's a reading labeled "CPU", and then one for each of my cores
labeled "Core 0", "Core 1", etc. I have an Intel Core 2 Quad running
at the stock speed of 2.50 GHz.

"CPU" goes as low as 31C on idle and goes up to 38C on load, whereas
the readouts for the individual cores idle in the 40s and go up to 55C
on load.

Which of these readings should I care about? The one labeled "CPU" or
the ones for the individual cores? Do you think these readings are
accurate?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

(By the way, I have a Tuniq Tower 120 heatsink.)

You have no problems there, my cpu hits just over 80c when my laptop goes
down without warning.
It's good in one respect, it does not damage the hardware, but it will be a
problem if I am working on an important document at the time.

currently I am reading the manual so I can take this thing to bits and
properly clean the heatsink and fan.
It's a big job on a laptop though.

As regards which temperature you should be concerned about .. all of them

cheers,
code_wrong

Old May 1st 08, 11:38 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
code_wrong

"code_wrong" wrote in message

[...]

(EDIT: you only ned to be concerned if the temperatures are a good bit
higher than you are experiencing)

cheers,
code_wrong

Old May 1st 08, 04:15 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Sleepy

[...]

one core does more work than the other and that is the 'true' temp to keep
an eye on.
55c is perfectly normal and nothing to worry about especially if you use a
standard
heatsink as supplied with a retail CPU. If you want to overclock - then get
a decent 3rd party
cooler that'll knock 5-10 degrees off those temps but otherwise you're fine.

Old May 1st 08, 04:34 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Sjouke Burry

CarpathiaMan wrote:
Hello,

Anyone here familiar with the utility called SpeedFan? I installed it
because I wanted to determine the temperature of my CPU, and I need
help interpreting the information.

There's a reading labeled "CPU", and then one for each of my cores
labeled "Core 0", "Core 1", etc. I have an Intel Core 2 Quad running
at the stock speed of 2.50 GHz.

"CPU" goes as low as 31C on idle and goes up to 38C on load, whereas
the readouts for the individual cores idle in the 40s and go up to 55C
on load.

Which of these readings should I care about? The one labeled "CPU" or
the ones for the individual cores? Do you think these readings are
accurate?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

(By the way, I have a Tuniq Tower 120 heatsink.)

You should worry about the highest readings, wherever they
are.
Each 4 degree celcius temperature raise halves the live
of any chip/transistor.
So keep them cool.
Speedfan I only use occasionally to check up on things.
Old May 1st 08, 08:49 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
kony

On Thu, 01 May 2008 06:27:00 GMT, "CarpathiaMan"
wrote:

Hello,

Anyone here familiar with the utility called SpeedFan? I installed it
because I wanted to determine the temperature of my CPU, and I need
help interpreting the information.

There's a reading labeled "CPU", and then one for each of my cores
labeled "Core 0", "Core 1", etc. I have an Intel Core 2 Quad running
at the stock speed of 2.50 GHz.

"CPU" goes as low as 31C on idle and goes up to 38C on load, whereas
the readouts for the individual cores idle in the 40s and go up to 55C
on load.

Which of these readings should I care about? The one labeled "CPU" or
the ones for the individual cores? Do you think these readings are
accurate?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

(By the way, I have a Tuniq Tower 120 heatsink.)

Compare the temps to what your bios health or hardware
monitor page shows as CPU temp. Sitting in bios, after a
few minutes running it will tend to be a little higher temp
than if sitting in windows (or another OS with power
management) at idle, but it will give you an idea if the
Speedfan reported temps are accurate (enough).

Idle temp depends on a very factors including ambient temp,
case cooling, C1E & EIST features you might have working.
We can, as always, practically ignore idle temps since the
load temps are the important ones. 55C is cool enough and
does seem to be about what one would expect with that
processor at full load (running something like Orthos to
load all cores) after 10 minutes or so.

Since you aren't overclocking and are using a reasonably
good heatsink for this application, you don't need to care
much about any of these temps... remembering that a few
years ago most people didn't know let alone actively monitor
their temps all the time, their system once set up well
could be assumed to continue providing enough cooling unless
some variable changed like a large rise in room temp or the
fans clogging with dust.
Old May 2nd 08, 02:04 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
~misfit~[_3_]

Somewhere on teh intarweb "Sleepy" typed:
[...]

LOL, you really are "Sleepy" huh? ;-)

You wrote all that advice about a 3rd party HS under the bit where he says
that he's got one.
--
Shaun.

Old May 2nd 08, 05:53 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
CarpathiaMan

wrote:

[...]

I guess I was just confused by the fact that SpeedFan shows a "CPU"
temperature, and then a separate temperature for "Core 0", "Core 1",
etc. This confusion was compounded by the fact that "CPU" is always 10
to 15 degrees *less* than the individual core temperatures. I just
wish I understood why. How can the CPU be in the 30s and the cores be
in the 40s to 50s? Are they not referring to the same thing? I'd like
to know because in the various reviews I've read on Newegg for
aftermarket heatsinks, people typically talk about their "idle" and
"load" temps, so it would be nice to know that I'm comparing what
they're talking about to the equivalent readouts that SpeedFan is
giving me.

For example, since my "CPU" reading can go as low as 30C or 31C, would
it be accurate for me to say that my CPU idles in the low 30s, and then
goes up to 55C upon load (since the readouts for Cores 0-3 go up that
high)? But even when my cores go up to 55C, the "CPU" reading always
stays in the mid to upper 30s. So, I'm not sure how to describe what
my processor idles at and loads at.

I am, however, fairly satisfied with the actual temperatures
themselves, for they seem to be within normal range.

Thanks again to everybody for their input.
Old May 2nd 08, 10:20 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Sleepy

"~misfit~" wrote in message
[...]

I said 'decent' 3rd party cooler - I've tried a couple of the tower design
coolers
(not the brand used by the OP admittedly) and I've been unimpressed by the
performance
- concerned also about the weight and the stress put upon the CPU bracket.

I've gone for a standard design heatsink - small but all copper - lapped
with silver compound and invest a little extra
in a top quality fan - as fast as I can get while still being quiet.