Vista Problem

Old October 15th 07, 02:34 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Von Fourche

Default Vista Problem

My sister and brother-in-law has a computer with Vista Home Premium.

Here's the problem - you know how you can put desk top short cuts
on your desk top? Last week Vista would not let them do this. They
rebooted,
called Indian support, tried again over and over, but no luck - they still
could
not put desktop top short cuts on their desk top.

So, they took their computer to Circuit City or someplace with that Fire
Dog
service. A week later they called saying they fixed it. My sister brings
home the
pc, plugs it in, and still they can not create short cuts. They take it
back to
Fire Dog and it turns out they fixed something else and not the problem
my sister had with the pc!

So, they look at it again and tell my sister and brother-in-law they have
no idea how to
fix it and have to call their support to figure it out! lol

Anyway, what do you think the problem could be? Any guesses? The pc is
with
that Fire Dog service and I assume they will fix it but what do you all
think
the problem is? In case my sister calls up saying they still cant' create
short cuts maybe
I could help her out. I don't have any pc's running Vista so I really don't
know.

Old October 15th 07, 02:48 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Jay B

what exactly happens when she tries to create a shortcut?

its possible that desktop icons are simply turned off.
to check, have them right click on the desktop, then click on view, the
nthe last tiem should say "show desktop items" and it must be checked in
order to see the dekstop icons.

this is most likely the cause of their problem.
jay

Old October 15th 07, 03:17 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Journey

Ask them what steps they are taking to create the desktop shortcuts
and post the exact steps here.

I don't understand what you mean by "Fire Dog service". Are they
actually paying for this?

Old October 15th 07, 03:53 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Kevin

"Journey" wrote in message
Ask them what steps they are taking to create the desktop shortcuts
and post the exact steps here.

I don't understand what you mean by "Fire Dog service". Are they
actually paying for this?

This is a tech service offered by Circuit City. If you ever are unfortunate
enough to have to go into a Circuit City store and buy a computer, they will
hound you until hell freezes over to use their Fire Dog service. They are
so desperate for profit that they are pushing this as hard as they have
always pushed extended warranty contracts. I try, at great cost, to avoid
my local Circuit City store. If you do have to go into one, never make eye
contact with any of the salesmen or women. Just go grab what you need and
hurry to the check out.

Old October 15th 07, 04:35 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
joe_tide[_2_]

"Kevin" wrote in message

" I try, at great cost, to avoid
my local Circuit City store."

....and I thought it was just me.

I have driven over 40 miles to avoid that place.

Old October 15th 07, 05:11 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Journey

On Sun, 14 Oct 2007 19:53:07 -0700, "Kevin"
wrote:

This is a tech service offered by Circuit City. If you ever are unfortunate
enough to have to go into a Circuit City store and buy a computer, they will
hound you until hell freezes over to use their Fire Dog service. They are
so desperate for profit that they are pushing this as hard as they have
always pushed extended warranty contracts. I try, at great cost, to avoid
my local Circuit City store. If you do have to go into one, never make eye
contact with any of the salesmen or women. Just go grab what you need and
hurry to the check out.

I've been through it -- I didn't realize they had such a stupid name
for their service though ("Fire Dog?", lol).

They don't seem to understand that "No" is a complete sentence.
Old October 15th 07, 05:17 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Von Fourche

"Kevin" wrote in message

"Journey" wrote in message
Ask them what steps they are taking to create the desktop shortcuts
and post the exact steps here.

I don't understand what you mean by "Fire Dog service". Are they
actually paying for this?

This is a tech service offered by Circuit City. If you ever are
unfortunate enough to have to go into a Circuit City store and buy a
computer, they will hound you until hell freezes over to use their Fire
Dog service. They are so desperate for profit that they are pushing this
as hard as they have always pushed extended warranty contracts. I try, at
great cost, to avoid my local Circuit City store. If you do have to go
into one, never make eye contact with any of the salesmen or women. Just
go grab what you need and hurry to the check out.

I don't see how they can stay open with their expensive prices when
compared
to ChinaMart and online stores.

Old October 15th 07, 08:59 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Tony Harding

Kevin wrote:
"Journey" wrote in message
Ask them what steps they are taking to create the desktop shortcuts
and post the exact steps here.

I don't understand what you mean by "Fire Dog service". Are they
actually paying for this?

This is a tech service offered by Circuit City. If you ever are unfortunate
enough to have to go into a Circuit City store and buy a computer, they will
hound you until hell freezes over to use their Fire Dog service. They are
so desperate for profit that they are pushing this as hard as they have
always pushed extended warranty contracts. I try, at great cost, to avoid
my local Circuit City store. If you do have to go into one, never make eye
contact with any of the salesmen or women. Just go grab what you need and
hurry to the check out.

Kind of like dealing with homeless people.
Old October 15th 07, 10:48 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Journey

On Mon, 15 Oct 2007 15:59:24 -0400, Tony Harding
wrote:

Kevin wrote:
"Journey" wrote in message
Ask them what steps they are taking to create the desktop shortcuts
and post the exact steps here.

I don't understand what you mean by "Fire Dog service". Are they
actually paying for this?

This is a tech service offered by Circuit City. If you ever are unfortunate
enough to have to go into a Circuit City store and buy a computer, they will
hound you until hell freezes over to use their Fire Dog service. They are
so desperate for profit that they are pushing this as hard as they have
always pushed extended warranty contracts. I try, at great cost, to avoid
my local Circuit City store. If you do have to go into one, never make eye
contact with any of the salesmen or women. Just go grab what you need and
hurry to the check out.

Kind of like dealing with homeless people.

A lot of people are very close to becoming homeless. Many people
don't have much of an emergency fund. Most people who are homeless
are crack addicts or alcoholics, but not all. My heart goes out to
the ones that aren't.
Old October 16th 07, 02:31 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Christopher Muto

that reads like journey hates crack addicts
seriously, i joke becuase the reply was so far from what the op asked...
lets stay on topic please.

wrote:

Kevin wrote:
"Journey" wrote in message
[...]

A7N8X Vista USB problem Gareth[_2_] Asus Motherboards 9 September 29th 07 01:13 PM
Vista Video problem Lil' Abner General 3 April 18th 07 03:52 PM
Vista sleep problem [email protected] Homebuilt PC's 1 March 23rd 07 06:12 PM
vista problem Mark Hall Asus Motherboards 7 February 16th 07 07:31 AM
Vista Problem with X800GT Iyotake Ati Videocards 2 February 5th 07 04:23 AM