Video problem

Old October 26th 06, 02:20 PM posted to 24hoursupport.helpdesk,alt.comp.hardware
Jack Gillis

Default Video problem

I am having a strange video problem under XP Home.

On one of two identical machines, the gray of all menu bars on programs and
folders as well as the background of many, if not all, of the pop-up message
windows suddenly do not appear gray. These item appear with a dull green
tint. On the other machine these items appear gray as the should. This just
started a day or so ago. Within a program, light grays appear light gray
such as the cell background of Excel. Also booting Partition Magic from its
DOS floppy produces a gray menu bar.

Otherwise, all colors seem to appear just fine.

I have switched the monitors (Mag Flat Screens), cable and Video Card
between the two machines but the 'green' condition persists on the one
machine. I don't remember making any software changes but just to make sure,
I restored the system from a Ghost Image made before the problem appeared.
That didn't do any good.

Does anyone have any idea what might be going on here and can you help me
unravel this thing?

Thank you very much

Old October 26th 06, 08:15 PM posted to 24hoursupport.helpdesk,alt.comp.hardware
Rod Speed

Jack Gillis wrote:
[...]

I'd try a proper colorbar jpg etc to see if the problem is with the
Win config or some fundamental problem with color rendition.

Likely its the last given that the image restore made no difference
but its worth checking that way because that is so easy to do before
looking harder at why the color rendition has changed when swapping
the video card/cable/monitor makes no difference.

Once you confirm that it is a color rendition problem, I'd try swapping the
power supply between the systems, likely one of the rails is out of spec.

Old October 26th 06, 09:28 PM posted to 24hoursupport.helpdesk,alt.comp.hardware
Jack Gillis

"Rod Speed" wrote in message
Jack Gillis wrote:
[...]

Interesting point. I may just do that when I get a little time.

Thank you.

Old October 30th 06, 09:10 AM posted to 24hoursupport.helpdesk,alt.comp.hardware
[email protected]

Jack Gillis wrote:
"Rod Speed" wrote in message
Jack Gillis wrote:
[...]

Check the capacitors (if any are bulging, or leaking, even a teensy
bit, they're bad) and RAM (www.memtest.org) while you're at it.

Thank you.