What are regulations for Easter trading? [OT]

Old April 17th 06, 06:21 PM posted to alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains,uk.telecom,uk.comp.vendors,uk.d-i-y

Default What are regulations for Easter trading? [OT]

SteveH wrote:

The other 6 days are usually taken up by the kids being at school or
partners working in Mon - Fri jobs.

Sat. you have 2 days off from school or a Mon-Fri job.

--
wigwambam
Old April 17th 06, 06:21 PM posted to alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains,uk.telecom,uk.comp.vendors,uk.d-i-y

- will you be voting BNP or UKIP?

Old April 17th 06, 06:24 PM posted to alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains,uk.telecom,uk.comp.vendors,uk.d-i-y

Stuffed wrote:

So because you couldn't/ wouldn't stop your brats munching down the
food you had plans for, a few people had to sit in a supermarket
waiting your arrival so you could still make that yummy afters.

Brats, because they ate the strawberries?
I bet the few people were over the moon to provide a customer service
and help keep their company in business to safeguard their jobs.

The fact they might well have preferred to be at home cooking or
eating with their families, but were contractually obliged to sit
around waiting to serve you is unimportant then?

Tut Tut, shouldn't have signed that contract, should they?

--
wigwambam
Old April 17th 06, 06:31 PM posted to alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains,uk.telecom,uk.comp.vendors,uk.d-i-y

Default Effing religious fundamental cases [OT]

On Mon, 17 Apr 2006 18:00:14 +0100, "Ivor Jones"
wrote:

"Dr Teeth" wrote in
message
I was just thinking how wonderful life was, when Nigel
Molesworth opened his gob
and said:

If they weren't stupid, they wouldn't be religious.

It beggars belief that anybody could believe such
superstitious clap-trap in the 21st century.

21st century of what..?

Nobody knows.

Exactly.

Exactly.

DG

Old April 17th 06, 06:35 PM posted to alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains,uk.telecom,uk.comp.vendors,uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 17 Apr 2006 16:37:43 +0100, Tony Bryer wrote:

On Mon, 17 Apr 2006 10:22:21 +0100 Martin Underwood wrote :
I understand that when the present laws first came into effect,
supermarkets tried to co-operate in this way and were told that it
was not allowed: the law not only prescribes the number of hours
that they can be open but also the times of day when openeing is
permitted.

There's certainly nothing to stop one opening from 10-4 and another
from 11-5. I suspect that they've all fallen in line because no one
will take the risk of opening after the other and thus losing trade,
but with supermarkets I suspect that trade is business in the first
part of the trading period so staying open after your competitors is
less attractive.

I've seen 12-6 (somewhere in round - not a supermarket but a 'big' shop).
Never seen 9-3 yet.

Old April 17th 06, 06:41 PM posted to alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains,uk.telecom,uk.comp.vendors,uk.d-i-y

Derek ^ wrote:

So because you couldn't/ wouldn't stop your brats munching down the food you
had plans for, a few people had to sit in a supermarket waiting your arrival
so you could still make that yummy afters.

Those people did it to *Get Money*.

Their priority comes first, they chose to *Get Money*.

Those people did it because they were *contracutally obliged* to sit on
a till, for £5.05 / hour so you could go shopping.

The fact they might well have preferred to be at home cooking or eating with
their families, but were contractually obliged to sit around waiting to
serve you is unimportant then?

They signed that contract.

They more than likely didn't have any choice. It was either sign the
contract or claim benefits.

AAMOF I didn't sign any such contract but if needs must I have
sometimes to depart mid afternoon, Sunday and drive 300+ miles so that
I can be with my customer at 08-30 Monday morning so that his patients
can get the results of their hospital tests, and yes once you have
done it once (in an emergency) they re-set their standards and expect
it every single time, as a matter of their convenience. I don't get
any extra pay for it at all.

But neither would you do it for £5.05 / hour, either.

Can't see where all these arguments about the retail sector are coming
from. We don't see them coming from the prison officers the
electricity generators, the hospital workers, the water board
employees, the broadcast TV workers, the gas suppliers, the telephone
exchange workers. USW, USW, USW, at all

Possibly because the above have contracutal protection meaning they
don't have to work *most* Sundays, and any that do are paid a premuim to
do it.

And they don't all collect a *packet* every bank holiday.

And they don't all have a great big hairy issue about sitting about
having to spend their priceless time waiting for a customer to flush
the bog/make a phone call/ light the gas oven.

Oh, you can bet they do, only their unions, being either public sector,
or ex-public sector, will hold the balance of power and will have
negotiated adequate provisions for proper Sunday / bank holiday rotas /
pay.

It must be a Great British (Service is beneath me) attitude, which
only comes into play when the particular customer can be identified.

Don't you worry yersel' there are plenty of very polite and very
presentable Polish and Czech till operators who don't have any
chip-on shoulder attitudes about giving a good service, and the rest.

We won't starve.

And you wouldn't starve if the shops reverted to 70s / 80s style opening
hours, either.
Alfa 156 2.0 TSpark Lusso - Fiat Marea 20v HLX - COSOC KOTL
Old April 17th 06, 06:59 PM posted to alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains,uk.telecom,uk.comp.vendors,uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On Mon, 17 Apr 2006 16:02:45 +0100, (SteveH)
wrote:

You obviously have no friends and with attitudes like yours your family
have probably disowned you, so I wouldn't expect you to understand.

Hang on Steve I am more than with you on this if I had my way stores
would close at 5 PM Saturday and reopen Mon 9 AM EVERY WEEK
I never liked having to work SUNDAYS .

You've confused the argument at several points, it appears that you just
don't like working Sundays, rather than having some moral reason for
doing so.....

But hell, if you'd welcome a return to the above, I'm with you on that.
Alfa 156 2.0 TSpark Lusso - Fiat Marea 20v HLX - COSOC KOTL
Old April 17th 06, 07:02 PM posted to alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains,uk.telecom,uk.comp.vendors,uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 17 Apr 2006 16:34:52 +0100, (SteveH)

On Mon, 17 Apr 2006 12:23:05 +0100,
(SteveH)
wrote:

Nice reasonining. However, when the big supermarkets decided that they
were going to close down all the local bakeries, all the former local
bakery employees went to work for the supermarket, who, holding all the
cards, decided that £6 / hour was adequate for a skilled worker.

But that is over £200 a week just how much DO you want people to be
paid Steve .

Wow! A whole £200 / week for a skilled worker.

How Skilled? How Qualified? Nobel Prize? PhD? MSc? BSc?

Qualification status maintained up to date? Remembering what
Fatty2jags did to the electricians (and joiners).

WE are responsible people can't have unqualified people dealing with
windows ^^^^^^^ food.

BTW. @ 38 hours/week it appears to be £228/week.

However the employer will not get the benefit of his services for 52
weeks in the year, despite having to pay for them, and pay the social
security taxes as-well-as.

That's not even enough to pay the mortgage on a modest terraced house
these days.

It is absolutely not enough. The idea is unworkable. I live just 2
miles from the Beeston bombers, *even there*, grotty mid terrace
houses that should nave been demolished by 1963 are well over 100k.
That is over 8x the local average salary (Ca 12-13k).

Blame the government. Who else is there?

Therefore, they're forced to work for £6 / hour.

No, round here there is work in call centres that pays better than
that and you can walk straight in, and they'll treat you like a King.
6+ weeks training + expenses.

There is only one thing that you are FORCED to do in this country
Steve and that is DIE you aren't even forced to do national service
any more which is a pity .

Well, they can either get £6/hour to bake bread, or go on the dole.

I've spelled out just some of the alternatives they have.

DG

Old April 17th 06, 07:10 PM posted to alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains,uk.telecom,uk.comp.vendors,uk.d-i-y

wrote:
That's not even enough to pay the mortgage on a modest terraced house
these days.

******** our mortgage is exactly that .

Hmmmm, you must be getting on a bit, then.

The average terraced house around here has broken the £80k barrier. You
wouldn't buy that on £200 / week gross.

Well, they can either get £6/hour to bake bread, or go on the dole.

Quite it is up to them which they chose .

Ahhh, so, you'd prefer people to be on the dole than to have sensible
working patterns?
Alfa 156 2.0 TSpark Lusso - Fiat Marea 20v HLX - COSOC KOTL
Old April 17th 06, 07:21 PM posted to alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains,uk.telecom,uk.comp.vendors,uk.d-i-y

On 2006-04-16, Richard_Colton
wrote:

"Lordy.UK" wrote in message
. ..
Because many of those "silly people" would have to work on a day
that is religously important to them.

Anyone religious is by their own admission a retard.

How so?

Because they believe in fairies. What's worse, they run their
lives on that belief. And what's *worse*, and totally unacceptable,
they force those stupid beliefs on others.

And here we have another contender for the Generalisation and Bigotry
Trophy.

If I want to go to a shop, and that shop wants to open, what the
**** has that got to do with your belief in Sky Fairies?

Who said I have any belief in fairies, God, or any other deity?

You *are* reading the thread, right?

Yep, but you're obviously not.

Here's the relevant part again,
for the hard of thinking;

Q. Anyone religious is by their own admission a retard. How so?

A. Because they believe in fairies.

Ok, and which part of the above says that I believe in God, fairies or any
other deity? If you're going to try to prove a point, at least make the
effort to post something relevant.

What exactly is the problem with the shops being closed for one or two
days
every year? Are you so disorganised and incompetant that you can't
arrange
to have food and drink in the house for these rare occurances?

Oh, I don't care if they close or not. But then, I don't want to force
my views on other people, and use the power of the State to do it. And
you've got the bare-faced cheek to call *me* a bigot, you hypocritical
sack of ****.

2.5/10. No originality demonstrated, nor any effort put towards
constructing an insult. You're not very good at this are you?

--
Unlock Your Phone's Potential
www.uselessinfo.org.uk