AMD to release dual-core X2 3800+ @ $345, August 1.

Old July 6th 05, 07:23 PM
John Lewis

Default AMD to release dual-core X2 3800+ @ $345, August 1.

See:-

http://www.digitimes.com/news/a20050706A2006.html

X2 3800+ presumably has 512K L2 caches, clocking at 2.0GHz,
if it follows the numerical pattern of the X2 4200+ ( 512K, 2.2GHz )
and the X2 4600+ (512K, 2.4GHz ).

Should give the Pentium D 820 a run for its $$money, since
the X2 will retrofit into most Socket 939 motherboards with only
a BIOS upgrade. The PD 820 requires a new motherboard
and DDR2 memory. And the 3800+ is likely to be a much better
overclocking candidate than the very hot and sweaty Pentium D.

John Lewis

- Technology early-birds are flying guinea-pigs.
Old July 6th 05, 07:44 PM
husky55

John Lewis wrote:
See:-

http://www.digitimes.com/news/a20050706A2006.html

X2 3800+ presumably has 512K L2 caches, clocking at 2.0GHz,
if it follows the numerical pattern of the X2 4200+ ( 512K, 2.2GHz )
and the X2 4600+ (512K, 2.4GHz ).

Should give the Pentium D 820 a run for its $$money, since
the X2 will retrofit into most Socket 939 motherboards with only
a BIOS upgrade. The PD 820 requires a new motherboard
and DDR2 memory. And the 3800+ is likely to be a much better
overclocking candidate than the very hot and sweaty Pentium D.

John Lewis

- Technology early-birds are flying guinea-pigs.

I almost went for the Intel 820D because I am constantly running multi
apps, but the heat (~200W) turns me off.

The 3800+ (~$345) or the 4000+ may be my ticket.

Old July 6th 05, 07:58 PM
James Garvin

John Lewis wrote:

See:-

http://www.digitimes.com/news/a20050706A2006.html

X2 3800+ presumably has 512K L2 caches, clocking at 2.0GHz,
if it follows the numerical pattern of the X2 4200+ ( 512K, 2.2GHz )
and the X2 4600+ (512K, 2.4GHz ).

Should give the Pentium D 820 a run for its $$money, since
the X2 will retrofit into most Socket 939 motherboards with only
a BIOS upgrade. The PD 820 requires a new motherboard
and DDR2 memory. And the 3800+ is likely to be a much better
overclocking candidate than the very hot and sweaty Pentium D.

huhuhuh...you said hot and sweaty...huhuhuhu
Old July 6th 05, 09:25 PM
John Lewis

On Wed, 06 Jul 2005 18:44:15 GMT, husky55 wrote:

John Lewis wrote:
See:-

http://www.digitimes.com/news/a20050706A2006.html

X2 3800+ presumably has 512K L2 caches, clocking at 2.0GHz,
if it follows the numerical pattern of the X2 4200+ ( 512K, 2.2GHz )
and the X2 4600+ (512K, 2.4GHz ).

Should give the Pentium D 820 a run for its $$money, since
the X2 will retrofit into most Socket 939 motherboards with only
a BIOS upgrade. The PD 820 requires a new motherboard
and DDR2 memory. And the 3800+ is likely to be a much better
overclocking candidate than the very hot and sweaty Pentium D.

John Lewis

- Technology early-birds are flying guinea-pigs.

I almost went for the Intel 820D because I am constantly running multi
apps, but the heat (~200W) turns me off.

The 3800+ (~$345) or the 4000+ may be my ticket.

A64 4000+ ( now at 90nm, Rev E.) is the top-end SINGLE-core Athlon.

The only confusing thing will be if AMD indeed release a 1MByte cache
version of the X2 3800+ following the current X2 nomenclature
pattern.. Since the top-end A64 single-core is A64 4000+ (2.4GHz), an
A64 X2 4000+ at 2.0GHz would sure confuse a lot of people.

Old July 7th 05, 12:32 AM
NightSky 421

"husky55" wrote in message
.. .
I almost went for the Intel 820D because I am constantly running multi
apps, but the heat (~200W) turns me off.

The 200W power consumption (imagine the heat it would spew out), plus the
hardware DRM that is supposedly implemented in the 945 chipset, would be
enough of a combo to scare me off.

Old July 7th 05, 01:15 PM
Roland Scheidegger

John Lewis wrote:
A64 4000+ ( now at 90nm, Rev E.) is the top-end SINGLE-core Athlon.

The only confusing thing will be if AMD indeed release a 1MByte cache
version of the X2 3800+ following the current X2 nomenclature
pattern.. Since the top-end A64 single-core is A64 4000+ (2.4GHz), an
A64 X2 4000+ at 2.0GHz would sure confuse a lot of people.

I somehow fail to see why a X2 4000+ would be more confusing than a X2
3800+, as both 3800+ and 4000+ exist as single core (2.4Ghz with 512KB
and 1MB cache respectively).
The "X2" should be enough to differentiate, though imho it was a bad
move of AMD to come up with the 4200+ etc. numbers. Not only might it
add confusion, the numbers (in contrast to the numbers of the single
cores) are really pulled out of the air, and performance comparisons to
the single core chips based on that "performance number" makes no sense
at all. Ah well, at least one thing the intel dual core chips have an
advantage :-).

Roland
Old July 7th 05, 04:59 PM
John Lewis

On Thu, 07 Jul 2005 14:15:25 +0200, Roland Scheidegger
wrote:

John Lewis wrote:
A64 4000+ ( now at 90nm, Rev E.) is the top-end SINGLE-core Athlon.

The only confusing thing will be if AMD indeed release a 1MByte cache
version of the X2 3800+ following the current X2 nomenclature
pattern.. Since the top-end A64 single-core is A64 4000+ (2.4GHz), an
A64 X2 4000+ at 2.0GHz would sure confuse a lot of people.

I somehow fail to see why a X2 4000+ would be more confusing than a X2
3800+, as both 3800+ and 4000+ exist as single core (2.4Ghz with 512KB
and 1MB cache respectively).

Sorry, I forgot all about the existing 3800+...
Seems as if AMD should have chosen a higher range of numbers,
for the X2 series :-( :-(, assuming that the cheaper X2 will indeed be
numbered 3800+ when it is released.

John Lewis

Old July 7th 05, 07:41 PM
Roland Scheidegger

Ken Marsh wrote:
In article ,
Roland Scheidegger wrote:
#The "X2" should be enough to differentiate, though imho it was a bad
#move of AMD to come up with the 4200+ etc. numbers. Not only might it
#add confusion, the numbers (in contrast to the numbers of the single
#cores) are really pulled out of the air, and performance comparisons to
#the single core chips based on that "performance number" makes no sense
#at all. Ah well, at least one thing the intel dual core chips have an
#advantage :-).

Huh?

Are you implying that the Intel 3-digit performance/model numbers DO
make sense, especially the ones on their dual-core models?

Ken.

Well, depends on how you look at it. Since they have 8xx numbers, that
somehow implies they are "better" than 5xx and 6xx cpus. Of course, in
single-threaded situations, a Pentium D 820 certainly won't beat a 670
Pentium 4. Also, it is at least somewhat consistent for now: the x20
cpus are 2.8Ghz be it 520[J]/521, 620 or 820. But AMD's numbering is
very inconsistent, I think I'd have liked if AMD had just used a similar
scheme, i.e. the 2Ghz dual-core would have got the name X2 3200+ etc. Or
otherwise some completely different number, which cannot be confused
with the old single-core numbers, but using numbers which suggest
(depending on the exact model) it is slightly better or worse depending
on the exact model just feels wrong.

Roland
Old July 7th 05, 09:43 PM
Kroagnon

"John Lewis" wrote in message
See:-

http://www.digitimes.com/news/a20050706A2006.html

X2 3800+ presumably has 512K L2 caches, clocking at 2.0GHz,
if it follows the numerical pattern of the X2 4200+ ( 512K, 2.2GHz )
and the X2 4600+ (512K, 2.4GHz ).

Should give the Pentium D 820 a run for its $$money, since
the X2 will retrofit into most Socket 939 motherboards with only
a BIOS upgrade. The PD 820 requires a new motherboard
and DDR2 memory. And the 3800+ is likely to be a much better
overclocking candidate than the very hot and sweaty Pentium D.

John Lewis

- Technology early-birds are flying guinea-pigs.

The price has kept me away from the Athlon 64 x2s. Should be down to my
budget when I am ready to buy. I am dissappointed that AMD is not supporting
faster DDR2 or 3 however.

No more need for the Intel Monopoly or their DRM.

Old July 7th 05, 11:03 PM
John Lewis

On Thu, 7 Jul 2005 15:43:48 -0500, "Kroagnon"
wrote:

"John Lewis" wrote in message
See:-

http://www.digitimes.com/news/a20050706A2006.html

X2 3800+ presumably has 512K L2 caches, clocking at 2.0GHz,
if it follows the numerical pattern of the X2 4200+ ( 512K, 2.2GHz )
and the X2 4600+ (512K, 2.4GHz ).

Should give the Pentium D 820 a run for its $$money, since
the X2 will retrofit into most Socket 939 motherboards with only
a BIOS upgrade. The PD 820 requires a new motherboard
and DDR2 memory. And the 3800+ is likely to be a much better
overclocking candidate than the very hot and sweaty Pentium D.

John Lewis

- Technology early-birds are flying guinea-pigs.

The price has kept me away from the Athlon 64 x2s. Should be down to my
budget when I am ready to buy. I am dissappointed that AMD is not supporting
faster DDR2 or 3 however.

No more need for the Intel Monopoly or their DRM.

Wait till next year when AMD changes the socket and releases
quad-cores. New motherboard of course with that socket change.
BTW, all the gaming benchmarks show the AMD X2 4800+ with
DDR faster than the Extreme 840 with DDR2 and with ~ 100 watts
less power consumed by the motherboard ---- 75W for the processor
and 25W for the Intel Northbridge. The Intel 840 Extreme and most of
the Pentium D series will need a new power supply with a beefier +12V,
a new motherboard DDR2 memory and extra cooling for anybody
thinking of upgrading their current system. For those fortunate
enough to already have a AMD socket 939 system, the upgrade will
normally be a motherboard BIOS upgrade plus swapping in the new
X2 processor. Check with the motherboard manufacturer.