500 gb hard drives -cheap!

Old October 3rd 05, 09:53 AM
4phun

Default 500 gb hard drives -cheap!

Has anyone noticed that CompUSA has 500 GB drives for a reasonable
price in today's paper? They say it is an exclusive. Why buy a 300 gb
drive when you can make that a 500 GB upgrade for the same price?

Old October 3rd 05, 02:14 PM
GT

"4phun" wrote in message
ups.com...
Has anyone noticed that CompUSA has 500 GB drives for a reasonable
price in today's paper? They say it is an exclusive. Why buy a 300 gb
drive when you can make that a 500 GB upgrade for the same price?

WD Caviar HD 250GB = $159.99
WD Caviar HD 200GB = $162.99

So why buy 200GB???

Old October 3rd 05, 02:24 PM
badgolferman

GT, 10/3/2005, 9:14:35 AM,
m wrote:

"4phun" wrote in message
ups.com...
Has anyone noticed that CompUSA has 500 GB drives for a reasonable
price in today's paper? They say it is an exclusive. Why buy a 300
gb drive when you can make that a 500 GB upgrade for the same price?

WD Caviar HD 250GB = $159.99
WD Caviar HD 200GB = $162.99

So why buy 200GB???

5200 RPM vs. 7200 RPM?
cache sizes perhaps?

--
"You've just one problem. You stand too close to the ball after you've
hit it." -- Sam Snead
Old October 3rd 05, 03:53 PM
Bob

On 03 Oct 2005 13:24:00 GMT, "badgolferman"
wrote:

WD Caviar HD 250GB = $159.99
WD Caviar HD 200GB = $162.99

5200 RPM vs. 7200 RPM?
cache sizes perhaps?

Refurbished perhaps?

Old October 3rd 05, 06:39 PM
kony

On Mon, 3 Oct 2005 14:14:35 +0100, "GT"
wrote:

"4phun" wrote in message
oups.com...
Has anyone noticed that CompUSA has 500 GB drives for a reasonable
price in today's paper? They say it is an exclusive. Why buy a 300 gb
drive when you can make that a 500 GB upgrade for the same price?

WD Caviar HD 250GB = $159.99
WD Caviar HD 200GB = $162.99

So why buy 200GB???

Spot-pricing on components can often be inconsistent per
capacity, or speed, or other parameters.

You're considering only the best price between two parts, if
we look at the best prices in general, then lower capacity
drives ARE cheaper. For example,
http://www.compusa.com/products/prod...209&pfp=BROWSE

Seagate 200GB, $140 - $30 - $60 (rebates) = $50

Why pay $110 more for 50GB increase and only a 1 year
warranty instead of 5 years?

Unless you want a specialty drive, like a WD Raptor, or the
largest capacity available at any given moment, it seldom
makes sense to buy any drive at regular price rather than
sale or rebate-discounted price.
Old October 4th 05, 10:54 AM
GT

"kony" wrote in message
On Mon, 3 Oct 2005 14:14:35 +0100, "GT"
wrote:

"4phun" wrote in message
roups.com...
Has anyone noticed that CompUSA has 500 GB drives for a reasonable
price in today's paper? They say it is an exclusive. Why buy a 300 gb
drive when you can make that a 500 GB upgrade for the same price?

WD Caviar HD 250GB = $159.99
WD Caviar HD 200GB = $162.99

So why buy 200GB???

Spot-pricing on components can often be inconsistent per
capacity, or speed, or other parameters.

You're considering only the best price between two parts, if
we look at the best prices in general, then lower capacity
drives ARE cheaper.

Nope - same speed, same controller interface, same manufacturer, same buffer
speed, larger drive is cheaper!

http://www.compusa.com/products/prod...6914&Ne=300689

Old October 4th 05, 04:23 PM
kony

On Tue, 4 Oct 2005 10:54:37 +0100, "GT"
wrote:

"kony" wrote in message
.. .
On Mon, 3 Oct 2005 14:14:35 +0100, "GT"
wrote:

"4phun" wrote in message
groups.com...
Has anyone noticed that CompUSA has 500 GB drives for a reasonable
price in today's paper? They say it is an exclusive. Why buy a 300 gb
drive when you can make that a 500 GB upgrade for the same price?

WD Caviar HD 250GB = $159.99
WD Caviar HD 200GB = $162.99

So why buy 200GB???

Spot-pricing on components can often be inconsistent per
capacity, or speed, or other parameters.

You're considering only the best price between two parts, if
we look at the best prices in general, then lower capacity
drives ARE cheaper.

Nope - same speed, same controller interface, same manufacturer, same buffer
speed, larger drive is cheaper!

http://www.compusa.com/products/prod...6914&Ne=300689

No nope, reread what I wrote and think beyond a simplistic
notion of only two drives... and look around at other
vendors that update their prices more frequently than
Compusa. Seeing a price discrepancy at one of the retail
superstores is not noteworth, is a regular situation with
any kind of technology that depreciates over time because
faster/larger models displace the older ones at similar (or
even lower) price points when first introduced. This is
merely the first time you've noticed such events,
apparently.
Old October 5th 05, 01:58 AM
Ian East

On Mon, 3 Oct 2005 14:14:35 +0100, "GT"
wrote:

"4phun" wrote in message
oups.com...
Has anyone noticed that CompUSA has 500 GB drives for a reasonable
price in today's paper? They say it is an exclusive. Why buy a 300 gb
drive when you can make that a 500 GB upgrade for the same price?

WD Caviar HD 250GB = $159.99
WD Caviar HD 200GB = $162.99

So why buy 200GB???

Not everyone is a home PC user. The company I work for buys hard
disks by the 1000's and when we select a model we stick with it until
a new one is qualified. CompUSA knows that there are users that need
exact replacements for RAID arrays and companies that standardize and
will only buy exact replacments for what has been the standard. They
also know that the home user is going to get whatever is biggest for
the lowest price so they also cater to that market as well. I for one
would never go out and buy the newest, biggest disk on the market if
my job were on the line. Take the IBM DeathStar fiasco as a case in
point.
Old October 5th 05, 08:13 AM
kony

On Tue, 04 Oct 2005 17:58:05 -0700, Ian East
ian.east@gmail wrote:

On Mon, 3 Oct 2005 14:14:35 +0100, "GT"
wrote:

"4phun" wrote in message
roups.com...
Has anyone noticed that CompUSA has 500 GB drives for a reasonable
price in today's paper? They say it is an exclusive. Why buy a 300 gb
drive when you can make that a 500 GB upgrade for the same price?

WD Caviar HD 250GB = $159.99
WD Caviar HD 200GB = $162.99

So why buy 200GB???

Not everyone is a home PC user. The company I work for buys hard
disks by the 1000's and when we select a model we stick with it until
a new one is qualified. CompUSA knows that there are users that need
exact replacements for RAID arrays and companies that standardize and
will only buy exact replacments for what has been the standard.

Name a company that buys drives by the 1000's from CompUSA
at retail prices. That scenario is completely unrealistic.
Old October 5th 05, 08:07 PM
Ian East

ian.east@gmail wrote:

On Mon, 3 Oct 2005 14:14:35 +0100, "GT"
wrote:

"4phun" wrote in message
groups.com...
Has anyone noticed that CompUSA has 500 GB drives for a reasonable
price in today's paper? They say it is an exclusive. Why buy a 300 gb
drive when you can make that a 500 GB upgrade for the same price?

WD Caviar HD 250GB = $159.99
WD Caviar HD 200GB = $162.99

So why buy 200GB???

Not everyone is a home PC user. The company I work for buys hard
disks by the 1000's and when we select a model we stick with it until
a new one is qualified. CompUSA knows that there are users that need
exact replacements for RAID arrays and companies that standardize and
will only buy exact replacments for what has been the standard.

Name a company that buys drives by the 1000's from CompUSA
at retail prices. That scenario is completely unrealistic.

We don't buy hard disks in the 1000's from CompUSA, but we do buy hard
disks in the 10's from local retailers like CompUSA when we need
immediate replacements. Their pricing on this type of hardware is
just based on what the current market rates are.

BTW.. Did you know that CompUSA is actually based out of Mexico?