Gateway desktop help

Old June 24th 09, 07:42 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000
Bill[_26_]

Default Gateway desktop help

My son has a MFBTX6C1DX210S, which I bought for him a while back. He
recently had some XP updates and he could not reboot after the installation.
It would start then stop and say " no signal" He cannot get into safe mode.
F8 etc etc doesn't work. He lives a good distance from me so I cant be there
to see for myself. He also cannot find the original XP disk to try and
repair.

I checked the Gateway site and based on the serial number they no longer
support it but some other MPC company which I cant locate. I would try and
buy the disks if possible

He has tried unplugging power supply, unplugging monitor and nothing works

Any tips or suggestions on what may resolve the problem would be
appreciated. My google search hasn't turned up anything

Many thanks

Bill

Old June 25th 09, 04:49 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000
Ben Myers[_2_]

Bill wrote:
My son has a MFBTX6C1DX210S, which I bought for him a while back. He
recently had some XP updates and he could not reboot after the installation.
It would start then stop and say " no signal" He cannot get into safe mode.
F8 etc etc doesn't work. He lives a good distance from me so I cant be there
to see for myself. He also cannot find the original XP disk to try and
repair.

I checked the Gateway site and based on the serial number they no longer
support it but some other MPC company which I cant locate. I would try and
buy the disks if possible

He has tried unplugging power supply, unplugging monitor and nothing works

Any tips or suggestions on what may resolve the problem would be
appreciated. My google search hasn't turned up anything

Many thanks

Bill

Bill,

ICK! What else can one say?

Your son's computer was evidently bought through a large corporation or
government agency. Gateway sold off its big customer business to MPC,
who have since pretty much vanished.

His best bet is to spend the bucks on an XP Pro CD or to get a copy from
someone. Most any XP Pro CD will do to boot the system and do a repair
of the XP software. The system has an Intel BTX motherboard, so it
undoubtedly has a SATA drive. For this, your son needs an XP Pro CD
with either Service Pack 2 or Service Pack 3 integrated in. If he tries
a repair with earlier XP Pro, it will fail because the CD does not have
SATA drive support built in... Ben Myers
Old June 25th 09, 08:41 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000
Bill[_26_]

"Ben Myers" wrote in message
Bill wrote:
[...]

ICK is right Ben :-)

I bought it as a regular consumer from Gateway online as a gift for him when
he was moving North.
It has the regular XP home version so I guess he will have to buy or borrow
a copy as you suggest

Thanks as usual for the reply
Bill

Old June 25th 09, 05:49 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000
Ben Myers[_2_]

Bill wrote:
"Ben Myers" wrote in message
Bill wrote:
[...]

FWIW, A Dell XP Home version will do, because he could use a nifty
little program called Keyfinder to change the product key in the system
to match what is on the sticker on the system. You do so before doing
the on-line product activation nonsense, after which the software is
activated, legit, etc etc. So I have been told... Ben Myers
Old June 25th 09, 06:34 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000
Bill[_26_]

"Ben Myers" wrote in message
Bill wrote:
"Ben Myers" wrote in message
[...]