kvm switch does not function (Aten cs1782)

Old December 3rd 08, 09:10 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware
Massimo[_2_]

Default kvm switch does not function (Aten cs1782)

Hello,

I have bought a new kvm switch, an Aten cs11782 that is
hdcp-compatible and can get to work 2 computers with 1 mouse, 1
keyboard and 1 monitor. The needed cables were delivered with it.
Only... it does not function!

While installing I have exactly followed the chain of actions as
proposed by the user manual but I can switch from comp1 to comp2 (&
viceversa) fysically by pushing the buttons of the switch but that's
all. The mouse and keyboard seem dead. Well, not entirely because I
can go into special mode (hotkey switching mode) via two keys of the
numeric island (Numlock and Minus) and the switch's signals indicate
that the pushing on these keys does something.

I've never had this kind of troubles with my old kvm-switch.

Thereafter I have tried the 2 possible solutions for mouse and
keyboard not reacting, as named in the user manuals Troubleshooting
part, to no avail.
- stopped the computers, stopped the switch by unplugging its adapter,
waited for 10 sec., plugging in and restarting computers.
- removing the cables of mouse and keyboard from their connectors at
the switch and reinserting them.

Anyone an idea? Are some of you using such a type of Aten kvm-switch?

Regards,

Massimo
Old December 4th 08, 11:36 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware
Andrew Smallshaw

On 2008-12-03, Massimo wrote:

[...]

Not specifically, but that is hardly suprising with no-name hardware
(a Google brings up zero relevant hits). What interface does your
keyboard and mouse use - PS/2 or USB? If PS/2 then verify that
the keyboard and mouse still work when driectly conencted into each
machine. If not then you have probably blown something (most likely
from hotplugging). If everything works directly connected then
return the KVM - simple KVMs are basically it works or it doesn't
devices.

--
Andrew Smallshaw

Old December 4th 08, 08:19 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware
Massimo[_2_]

Hello,

On Thu, 4 Dec 2008 12:36:38 +0100 (CET), Andrew Smallshaw

On 2008-12-03, Massimo wrote:

[...]

I am very surprised to hear you call the Aten switch *no-name
hardware*! Aten is the best known manufacturer of kvm-switches over
here?! Before buying the apparatus I thoroughly searched for reviews
for it and all I saw was good results! (with Google;-)

What interface does your
keyboard and mouse use - PS/2 or USB?

Usb

If PS/2 then verify that
the keyboard and mouse still work when driectly conencted into each
machine. If not then you have probably blown something (most likely
from hotplugging).

Although keyboard and mouse are usb i'll check the direct connection
with my second computer (not yet done), thank you.

If everything works directly connected then
return the KVM - simple KVMs are basically it works or it doesn't
devices.

Hm, Maybe, this kvm-switch is not as simple as the switch I used
before it though. I first would like to exclude any fault that could
be corrected by me myself...

Thanks for reacting!

Massimo
Old December 5th 08, 04:58 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware
philo

On 2008-12-03, Massimo wrote:

[...]

That's funny, I got 950,000 hits!!!!