Athlon XP 3200+ vs. Sempron 3300+ Socket A

Old February 6th 06, 09:47 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus

Default Athlon XP 3200+ vs. Sempron 3300+ Socket A

I'm building a new Socket A system with an nVidia Nforce2 chipset and DDR400 or DDR400-2 memory for use with Win98SE.

I've been looking at Athlon XP 3200+ vs. Sempron 3300+ Socket A CPUs. The Athlon XP has 512 cache vs. 256 with the Sempron. Also the Athlon runs at 400MHz Vs, 333MHz for the Sempron.

I've read conflicting test reports, some saying that there is very little difference in performance between the two CPUs.

The Athlons are getting very scarce and are running about twice as much as the Sempron Socket A CPUs.

Any feedback?

Old February 6th 06, 10:59 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus

On Mon, 06 Feb 2006 00:47:54 -0800, * * Chas wrote:

I'm building a new Socket A system with an nVidia Nforce2 chipset and
DDR400 or DDR400-2 memory for use with Win98SE.

I've been looking at Athlon XP 3200+ vs. Sempron 3300+ Socket A CPUs.
The Athlon XP has 512 cache vs. 256 with the Sempron. Also the Athlon
runs at 400MHz Vs, 333MHz for the Sempron.

AFAIK, they don't make a socket A Sempron 3300+, only socket 754. And it
only has 128K L2 cache. L1 cache is the same on all AMD cpu's 64/64K for
128K. So someone is misleading you claiming 256K cache for the 3300+,
since that includes the L1 cache. Including L1 cache, the 3200+ XP has
640K cache. If you want a socket A Sempron, get the 3000+. It's a barton
core with 512K cache and a 12 multiplier with a default 166MHz FSB for
2000MHz default. Personally, I think you're wasting your money building a
new socket A system whehn you can build a faster cheaper socket 754 system
that will run circles around a socket A system.

I've read conflicting test reports, some saying that there is very
little difference in performance between the two CPUs.

Assuming there is a socket A sempron 3300+, it would compare to about an
Athlon XP 2900+.

The Athlons are getting very scarce and are running about twice as much
as the Sempron Socket A CPUs.

Sempron 3000+ socket A is about $100 and won't OC much. A socket 754
Sempron 3100+ is $80, will OC like crazy and put the socket A sempron to
shame.

Old February 6th 06, 04:03 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus

* * Chas wrote:
I'm building a new Socket A system with an nVidia Nforce2 chipset and
DDR400 or DDR400-2 memory for use with Win98SE.

I've been looking at Athlon XP 3200+ vs. Sempron 3300+ Socket A CPUs.
The Athlon XP has 512 cache vs. 256 with the Sempron. Also the Athlon
runs at 400MHz Vs, 333MHz for the Sempron.

I've read conflicting test reports, some saying that there is very
little difference in performance between the two CPUs.

The Athlons are getting very scarce and are running about twice as much
as the Sempron Socket A CPUs.

Any feedback?

Tom's Hardware ran a boatload of CPU tests, comparing Athlon XP to
Sempron to AMD 64 to Pentium: much depends on whether you are gaming,
doing office work (in which case the XP3200 is fine), doing audio/video,
etc:

http://www.tomshardware.com/2005/11/...005/index.html

Newegg has only 7 Socket A CPUs still listed for sale:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...&Order=pri ce

So, I would agree with Wes, who mentioned that building a socket 754
system would be of benefit in several ways. The AMD 64 chips run cooler
than XPs, and quieter. And, you would have the option of running a 64
bit OS later too.

If you are concerned about getting a core in your CPU that is among the
best, check this out:

* AMD Athlon 64 3000+ Venice 800MHz FSB Socket 754 E6 Processor
Model ADA3000BXBOX - Retail

64 bit Support: Yes
Cooling Device: Heatsink and Fan
Hyper-Transport Support: Yes
L1 Cache: 64KB+64KB
L2 Cache: 512KB
Multimedia Instruction: MMX, SSE, SSE2, SSE3, 3DNOW! Professional
Operating Frequency: 2.0GHz
Process Type: 90 nm
Series: Athlon 64
Voltage: 1.4V
* Model #: ADA3000BXBOX
* Item #: N82E16819103606
* In Stock
* $3.00 Instant Savings
* $3.99 Three Day Shipping
* Combo Special
* Rating + 5Rating + 5Rating + 5Rating + 5Rating + 5[33 reviews]
* Move item to Wish ListMove To Wish List
* Original Price: $123.00
* Instant Savings: -$3.00
* $120.00

Venice core from the socket 939 A64 series; 9. micron (runs cool and
quiet); lots of cache, which I think you were looking for; memory
controller on die, E6 stepping, (some later bug fixes and memory
controller from what I read, but, I also read that no one really notices...)

Combine with an Asus K8N-E or something with the new Nvidia 6100/6150
chipset, and you are good to go, relatively modern, but low budget too:

76 socket 754 motherboards for sale on Newegg:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...Order=rati ng

HTH,

BC
Old February 6th 06, 08:34 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus

"Wes Newell" wrote in message
[...]

Thanks for the input.

I'd read so may reviews that I forgat that it was the Sempron 3000+ with
the dumbed down Barton core that performed close to the Athlon XP. Price
watch and a number of others have been listing Socket A Semprons at
3300+ so I figured that they may exist. I remember playing with K6-III
cpus. They came in every flavor from 266 to 450MHz and many had the same
core chip. AMD certainly maximized their yields on those suckers.

I've read conflicting test reports, some saying that there is very
little difference in performance between the two CPUs.

Assuming there is a socket A sempron 3300+, it would compare to about

an
Athlon XP 2900+.

The Athlons are getting very scarce and are running about twice as

much
as the Sempron Socket A CPUs.

Sempron 3000+ socket A is about $100 and won't OC much. A socket 754
Sempron 3100+ is $80, will OC like crazy and put the socket A sempron

shame.

I'm not interested in OC or gaming, this is a business system. The next
system I build will be 64bit but for now, this will be my last Win98SE
box. It looks like I'm limited to Socket A boards and CPUs because of no
Win98SE support for PCIe and some of the later chipsets.

I have every version of Windows from Win3.1 to Server 2003 (except ME)
but I prefer Win98SE for most applications. I use premium quality memory
and keep my system files well pruned so my Win98SE systems run rock
solid.

I have 3 laptops running XP Pro for wireless support but generally I
don't care for XP or Win2k. I still do most of my business work on an
old Asus K7M that I built in 1999. It has a 1G T-Bird running 384 MB of
memory plus a 15G HDD! I just want to speed it up a little. I also have
an A7M-266 Atlon XP 1800+ with 768 MB of memory that I run Win98SE and
Win2k on.

The main complaint that I have against the NT based OS's is that when
there is a problem such as a program not responding, it can take well
over 5 minutes to recover and get my system back whereas with Win98SE, I
can do a 3 finger or Reset warm reboot and be back working again in
under 2 minutes. Besides that, I can fix just about any Win98SE problem
in a few minutes where NT can take days to resolve.

Chas.

Old February 6th 06, 08:39 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus

"BC" wrote in message
et...

http://www.tomshardware.com/2005/11/...pu_charts_2005
/index.html

Newegg has only 7 Socket A CPUs still listed for sale:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...0343+70001012&
N=2010340343+70001012&Submit=ENE&Subcategory=343&O rder=price

[...]

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...+70001196&Subm
it=ENE&Subcategory=22&ATTR3=2010200022+70001196&Or der=rating

HTH,

BC

Thanks for the feedback. Please see my response to Wes. I'm building a
"final" Win98SE system. The next box I build will be 64bit but for
now.....

Chas.

Old February 7th 06, 01:39 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus

On Mon, 06 Feb 2006 11:39:00 -0800, * * Chas wrote:

Thanks for the feedback. Please see my response to Wes. I'm building a
"final" Win98SE system. The next box I build will be 64bit but for
now.....

FWIW, the AMD 64 bit or Sempron cpu's run W98 just fine.

Old February 7th 06, 01:46 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus

"* * Chas" wrote in message
. ..

I'm not interested in OC or gaming, this is a business system. The

next
system I build will be 64bit but for now, this will be my last

Win98SE
box. It looks like I'm limited to Socket A boards and CPUs because

of no
Win98SE support for PCIe and some of the later chipsets.

Chas

I've just installed 98SE on a ABIT UL8.
I think you may be right about PCIe & 98SE though.
Unless anyone knows better ?

Eric

--
Remove the dross to contact me directly

Old February 7th 06, 02:13 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus

"BC" wrote in message
et...
* * Chas wrote:
[...]

snip

Thanks for the advice. When I checked the Asus site they didn't list any
nForce3 drivers for Win 98SE. That's why I was looking at Socket A
nForce2 boards. I bid on 3 Athlon XP 3200+ CPUs on eBay today that went
for over $200 each! I'll be ordering one of these Athlon 64 3000+ today.

Newegg is out of stock on the K8N-E mobos but the have the regular K8N.
Besides the Giga Bit Lan and sound chip is there any important
difference between these 2 mobos?

Chas.

Old February 7th 06, 02:56 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus

"* * Chas" wrote in message
snip

Tom's Hardware ran a boatload of CPU tests, comparing Athlon XP to
Sempron to AMD 64 to Pentium: much depends on whether you are gaming,
doing office work (in which case the XP3200 is fine), doing

audio/video,
etc:

http://www.tomshardware.com/2005/11/...pu_charts_2005
/index.html

Newegg has only 7 Socket A CPUs still listed for sale:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...0343+70001012&
N=2010340343+70001012&Submit=ENE&Subcategory=343&O rder=price

Make that zero Socket As left.

I thought he left it a bit late to build a new socket 7 system, but he could
be using second hand parts.

He doesn't say what kind of office tasks he is doing, but anything from a
1Ghz CPU will work fine for word processing etc. Of course if he is doing
CAD or video editing he will need a more powerful CPU

BTW when posting a long URL, enclose it in URL thusly, and the link will
work properly.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...&Order=pri ce