Conflict between hard disk and CD-ROM on GA-K8NF-9

Old October 14th 05, 09:48 PM
Rob Nicholson

Default Conflict between hard disk and CD-ROM on GA-K8NF-9

I've just bought some parts to upgrade/rebuild my PC:

o GA-K8NF-9 motherboard
o AMD 64 3000+
o 2 x 512MB Kingston RAM
o G-Force 6000 PCX video card
o IBM hard disk configured as master plugged into IDE 0
o NEC DVD writer configured as master plugged into IDE 1

System configured to boot off CD-ROM and then hard disk. Hard disk is
formatted as NTFS from another system but not bootable.

The system boots, detects the CD-ROM and attempts to boot off it. I say
attempt because it starts to boot Windows XP installation, displays the
"Scanning system configuration" but then appears to hang. I'm not sure it is
hanging - just that CD access is incredibly slow.

If I unplug the hard disk and reboot, the CD works flawlessly - starts up
the Windows XP install program perfectly but of course, there's no hard disk
to install on.

It feels like some weird conflict between the two IDE devices but I've never
come across that before - they are on different channels. I've tried a
different DVD-ROM drive and a different IDE cable, same problem.

Any ideas?

Thanks, Rob.

Old October 14th 05, 09:51 PM
Rob Nicholson

o GA-K8NF-9 motherboard

PS. BIOS reports as F6. F8 has just been released but I can't try that until
I borrow a floppy disk so can create a boot disk.

Cheers, Rob.

Old October 14th 05, 10:00 PM
Rob Nicholson

It feels like some weird conflict between the two IDE devices but I've
never
come across that before - they are on different channels. I've tried a
different DVD-ROM drive and a different IDE cable, same problem.

Tried HDD as IDE 0 master and DVD as IDE 1 slave, no difference
Tried HDD and DVD on IDE 0 as master and slave, no difference

All very strange!

Cheers, Rob.

Old October 14th 05, 10:05 PM
Rob Nicholson

attempt because it starts to boot Windows XP installation, displays the

I've tried disabling all SATA related functions and still nothing :-(

Rob.

Old October 15th 05, 08:55 AM
Rob Nicholson

Update to F8

Will do...

Cheers, Rob.

Old October 15th 05, 12:34 PM
Rob Nicholson

Update to F8

That didn't make any difference but swapping the hard disk *DID*work. I
replaced an IBM Deskstar with a Maxtor drive and it boots perfectly. Just
done a test install of Windows XP Pro and that was fine. Except the Maxtor I
borrowed from work is labelled "Possibly faulty" so this is only a short
term fix :-)

The Deskstar works perfectly in my existing PC - just doesn't seem to like
the GA-K8NF-9 motherboard.

Weird...

Cheers, Rob.

Old October 15th 05, 03:34 PM
M. Ziegler

Rob Nicholson schrieb:
Update to F8

That didn't make any difference but swapping the hard disk *DID*work. I
replaced an IBM Deskstar with a Maxtor drive and it boots perfectly. Just
done a test install of Windows XP Pro and that was fine. Except the Maxtor I
borrowed from work is labelled "Possibly faulty" so this is only a short
term fix :-)

The Deskstar works perfectly in my existing PC - just doesn't seem to like
the GA-K8NF-9 motherboard.

Weird...

Cheers, Rob.

Hi

I have a Samsung 120GB SATA HDD and a LG DVD Writer with this Mobo and
no problems.But I still use the F2 BIOS:

Michael
Old October 15th 05, 08:36 PM
ScotsLucky

"Rob Nicholson" wrote:
[...]

Did you say that you format hard drive with NTFS??? it dont work
great - usual begin with FAT32 at the begin and then when you go into
Windows XP blue screen setup and then convert to NTFS that quite
easier way that how I did....

Always formatted FAT32 at the begin when you in Hard drive formatting
and then reboot and go to BIOS setup screen and change 1st boot as CD
ROM and save it and exit -- reboot and install XP disc and then there
you go for install Win XP.

Topic URL: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/Confli...pict63593.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/eform.php?p=319464
Old October 15th 05, 09:47 PM
Roger Hamlett

"ScotsLucky" wrote in message
news:319464_34bd2a444f88a9eb1070a6ceace42fea@hardw areforumz.com...
"Rob Nicholson" wrote:
[...]

The only problem with this is that it results in a relatively innefficient
'size' being selected for the NTFS allocation unit. Not an ideal
solution...

Best Wishes

Hard Disk Drive Not Found [email protected] Dell Computers 13 August 10th 05 12:03 AM
Cannot boot from secondary hard disk (bios setup) Ian Compaq Computers 1 January 5th 05 11:13 PM
Protable USB hard disk ma General 3 August 1st 04 02:28 AM
Hard Disk Nightmare Brian McGee General Hardware 2 June 11th 04 02:22 PM