Epson c64 and Pigment inks

Old January 16th 04, 04:48 PM
Mike

Default Epson c64 and Pigment inks

Can anyone tell me if it is possible to use dye based inks in the
c64.I am not too happy with the way that it prints on high gloss paper
due to the pigment base inks that it uses.I know they are antifade
smudge proof etc, etc ,but the photos I printed on my old 740 on high
gloss were far better than the C64.The pigment inks do not seem to
sink into the glossy paper and remain on top thus thus leaving it
without a really good gloss.The prints are good on matt and lustre
paper, and I cannot complain about the overall quality of the prints,
I just wish I could get the same quality that I got from the 740
printing on high gloss.
Also could anyone tell me about the compatible cartridges, and the
inks that are used in them, are they pigment or dye ?.Are there any
manufacturers of compatibles that actually tell you what types of ink
they use? Can the c64 carts be refilled before they are actually noted
as empty by the Status Monitor
?
Thanks in advance for any help or advice
Mike
Old January 16th 04, 05:58 PM
Mark Herring

I would not go to great lengths trying to improve the performance of a
4-color printer. I read the c64 as an entry-level throwaway printer.
I dont mean to say that it is not a good value, but it is not a true
photo printer.

I am not smart enough to say if your particular issue would go away
with a better printer, but the Epson dye printers and the high-end
pigment 2200 do not appear to have these issues. NOTE: is the
durabrite ink really pigment?

Do you need archival prints? For example, the Epson dye inks with
colorlife paper are rated at 27 years.

Rather than spend money trying 3rd party solutions, I would recommend
an Epson or Canon dye printer---for either of which you will find
abundant 3rd party stuff--including archival pigment inks.

My favorite source for 3rd party is MIS (www.inksupply.com). They
list nothing for the c64.

On 16 Jan 2004 08:48:55 -0800, (Mike) wrote:

[...]

Mark Herring, Pasadena, Calif.
Private e-mail: Just say no to "No".

Old January 16th 04, 11:16 PM
Safetymom123

Why not try the Durabrite Glossy paper? That will help but pigment sits
closer to the surface. Glossy and pigment are not recommended because the
pigment actually covers up the gloss on the page.

om...