M300 Sound Card

Old May 14th 04, 09:19 PM
Karl Shaw

Default M300 Sound Card

Hi,

I have an Armada M300 P3 600Mhz, 192RAM (Soon maybe maxed out to 320Mb.)
12Gb HD. I am considering buying a 2.1 Sound system as I listen to music a
lot. (Subwoofer and 2 Satellites) Will I need a new sound card for this to
work? If so, what sort of price should I expect them to be?

TIA,

Karl Shaw. (UK)

Old May 14th 04, 10:14 PM
cK-Gunslinger

Karl Shaw wrote:
Hi,

I have an Armada M300 P3 600Mhz, 192RAM (Soon maybe maxed out to 320Mb.)
12Gb HD. I am considering buying a 2.1 Sound system as I listen to music a
lot. (Subwoofer and 2 Satellites) Will I need a new sound card for this to
work? If so, what sort of price should I expect them to be?

TIA,

Karl Shaw. (UK)

If your sound card already outputs Stereo sound (left and right), as
most do, then you won't need a new one. Most 2.1 speaker setups simply
take stereo inputs and separate the low frequencies from each channel
and send them to the subwoofer. You would only need a new card if you
were going to a 4.1 or greater setup that would require Front/Rear outputs.

--
cK

Old May 14th 04, 10:16 PM
Karl Shaw

"cK-Gunslinger" wrote in message
Karl Shaw wrote:
Hi,

I have an Armada M300 P3 600Mhz, 192RAM (Soon maybe maxed out to 320Mb.)
12Gb HD. I am considering buying a 2.1 Sound system as I listen to

music a
lot. (Subwoofer and 2 Satellites) Will I need a new sound card for this

work? If so, what sort of price should I expect them to be?

TIA,

Karl Shaw. (UK)

If your sound card already outputs Stereo sound (left and right), as
most do, then you won't need a new one. Most 2.1 speaker setups simply
take stereo inputs and separate the low frequencies from each channel
and send them to the subwoofer. You would only need a new card if you
were going to a 4.1 or greater setup that would require Front/Rear

outputs.

--
cK

cK,

My M300 does only have a single speaker, but i have tried some old desktop
speakers on it and they work fine. Does this mean my card will support
stereo output?

Thanks for your replies,

Karl.

Old May 14th 04, 10:30 PM
cK-Gunslinger

Karl Shaw wrote:

cK,

My M300 does only have a single speaker, but i have tried some old desktop
speakers on it and they work fine. Does this mean my card will support
stereo output?

Thanks for your replies,

Karl.

Yes. If you can plug-in a normal set of desktop speakers or some
headphones and hear sound from both left & right speakers, you are all set.

I don't know how much you were planning to spend on 2.1 speakers, but
here are some ones I can personally recommend:

$26 -
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...116-126&depa=1

$40 -
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...121-102&depa=1

Oops, it looks like you were only asking about sound card prices. Oh well.

--
cK
Old May 14th 04, 10:33 PM
Happy Canuck

Remember, this is a notebook, the sound capability is on the mother board! I
have no idea how you would insert a 'new' sound card?

But, the other suggestion is correct. Get a 2+1 speaker system (cheap) and
you'll get great sound!

Bill

Old May 15th 04, 11:06 AM
Karl Shaw

. rogers.com...

"Karl Shaw" wrote in message
Hi,

I have an Armada M300 P3 600Mhz, 192RAM (Soon maybe maxed out to 320Mb.)
12Gb HD. I am considering buying a 2.1 Sound system as I listen to

music
lot. (Subwoofer and 2 Satellites) Will I need a new sound card for this
work? If so, what sort of price should I expect them to be?

TIA,

Karl Shaw. (UK)

OK. Thanks guys. I'm looking at a Labtec Pulse 475 2.1 for £30 in PC
World. RMS = 28watts. Subwoofer = 12 watts, 2x Satellites = 8 watts. Good
deal? Or should I look elsewhere?