Why is this HDD so small?

Old March 13th 21, 04:27 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.os.windows-10
micky

Default Why is this HDD so small?

Why is this so small?

Alternatively, why aren't they all so small?
Less than 4" x 1 1/4" x 1/3".

Is it a real HDD, a spinner, with a rotating platter? It calls it a
harddrive more than once, and never uses SSD, etc. but it's so small.

https://www.amazon.com/External-Hard...9&sr=1-11&th=1

What about that it has no brand name? Would you buy it for a backup
drive?

For file backup, is a real 2.5" external drive better for backup?
external 2.5" HDD, SSD, 3.5" HDD in a dock

Old March 13th 21, 05:05 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.os.windows-10
Rene Lamontagne

On 2021-03-12 9:27 p.m., micky wrote:
Why is this so small?

Alternatively, why aren't they all so small?
Less than 4" x 1 1/4" x 1/3".

Is it a real HDD, a spinner, with a rotating platter? It calls it a
harddrive more than once, and never uses SSD, etc. but it's so small.

https://www.amazon.com/External-Hard...9&sr=1-11&th=1

What about that it has no brand name? Would you buy it for a backup
drive?

For file backup, is a real 2.5" external drive better for backup?
external 2.5" HDD, SSD, 3.5" HDD in a dock

No, not a spinner, some kind of SSD crammed into a small aluminum body
The brand name of that one is 'Aitaton' I see a lot of similar ones on
Amazon.
I don't know how good they are as I have never used one, Also not enough
info to make an informed guess.

Rene

Old March 13th 21, 05:17 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.os.windows-10
Rene Lamontagne

On 2021-03-12 9:27 p.m., micky wrote:
Why is this so small?

Alternatively, why aren't they all so small?
Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* Less than 4" x 1 1/4" x 1/3".

Is it a real HDD, a spinner, with a rotating platter?Â*Â* It calls it a
harddrive more than once, and never uses SSD, etc. but it's so small.

https://www.amazon.com/External-Hard...9&sr=1-11&th=1

What about that it has no brand name?Â* Would you buy it for a backup
drive?

For file backup, is a real 2.5" external drive better for backup?
external 2.5" HDD, SSD, 3.5" HDD in a dock

No, not a spinner, some kind of SSD crammed into a small aluminum body
The brand name of that one is 'Aitaton'Â* I see a lot of similar ones on
Amazon.
I don't know how good they are as I have never used one, Also not enough
info to make an informed guess.

Rene

Should have mentioned, something looks fishy about the price for a 1 TB
drive.

Rene

Old March 13th 21, 05:26 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.os.windows-10
Paul[_28_]

micky wrote:
Why is this so small?

There's so much fraud online, it would make your ears burn.

Look at the Reviews for the item.

The reviews have been salted with random reviews
stolen from other items. Good work, Amazon.

*******

Just stick a hard drive in your Dock, like
you always do.

If your Dock is a slow USB2 one, get a USB3 version.

Use the free version of HDTune, to get some idea
how good your setup is.

Paul
Old March 13th 21, 05:56 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.os.windows-10
Brian Gregory[_2_]

On 2021-03-12 9:27 p.m., micky wrote:
Why is this so small?

[...]

Yes.
No way is it real.

It'll be like those 1TB thumb drive scams.

--
Brian Gregory (in England).
Old March 13th 21, 06:18 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.os.windows-10
micky

In alt.comp.hardware, on Fri, 12 Mar 2021 22:05:44 -0600, Rene

On 2021-03-12 9:27 p.m., micky wrote:
Why is this so small?

Alternatively, why aren't they all so small?
Less than 4" x 1 1/4" x 1/3".

Is it a real HDD, a spinner, with a rotating platter? It calls it a
harddrive more than once, and never uses SSD, etc. but it's so small.

https://www.amazon.com/External-Hard...9&sr=1-11&th=1

What about that it has no brand name? Would you buy it for a backup
drive?

For file backup, is a real 2.5" external drive better for backup?
external 2.5" HDD, SSD, 3.5" HDD in a dock

No, not a spinner, some kind of SSD crammed into a small aluminum body
The brand name of that one is 'Aitaton' I see a lot of similar ones on
Amazon.
I don't know how good they are as I have never used one, Also not enough
info to make an informed guess.

I'll skip it for now. Thanks.

Rene

Old March 13th 21, 10:38 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.os.windows-10
Snowshed.

On 3/12/21 10:18 PM, micky wrote:
I'll skip it for now. Thanks.

Good choice.

Physical space is an issue here, so I tried one of the similar ones, for
half the price. Had to work at getting it to even work. And slow.

--
Ken
MacOS 10.14.6
Old March 13th 21, 12:21 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.os.windows-10
Paul[_28_]

Snowshed. wrote:
On 3/12/21 10:18 PM, micky wrote:
I'll skip it for now. Thanks.

Good choice.

Physical space is an issue here, so I tried one of the similar ones, for
half the price. Had to work at getting it to even work. And slow.

There are actually "large" ordinary USB sticks.

But the manufacturers have (cleverly) not placed them
in the marketplace. They invented some, there was a PR
release, and then... nothing.

The end result is, they make expensive 512GB ones, which
you could find at the computer store. No guarantees on speed
on those (because they are just regular USB size and
that reduces the tech tricks you can use).

Sandisk Extreme will do 100MB/sec+ on writes, as
an example of a device you could actually use at
a capacity like that.

Patriot have done quad channel flash, but the original
ones were a bit chubby and you couldn't put two on
the back of the computer (desktop), next to each other.

In any case, price some of the "legit" 512GB ones, to
get a feeling for what a USB-stick-sized one should cost.
They were hundreds of dollars, when I looked months ago.

We had some frauds, USB sticks in "1TB and 2TB size", which,
right away, is a "danger Will Robinson" clue. Then, when you
discover the price is $10 or $15, that cinches it, that it's
a fraud. $15 will buy you a 16GB or maybe a 32GB stick, but
not a 2TB stick.

*******

They make some tray-mount enclosures for NVMe, giving you
some pretty high capacities (if you can afford it), and
also with tremendous speed (USB3.2 speed). Those run a bit
warm. And at least for products like that, where you load
the NVMe module into the box yourself, there's a chance to
avoid fraud. You have to be careful to read the specs,
then estimate how much power it will draw when operating
at a reduced rate (because of the enclosure).

8TB NVME for $1300 or so. (1TB and 2TB also available)

https://www.newegg.com/corsair-8tb-m...82E16820236688

Enclosure for $31 for it.

https://www.newegg.com/ORICO-M2PJ-C3...9SIA1DSB6E4158

That has more capacity than the biggest 2.5" 15mm hard drive.
But it's not particularly cheap (or nice, because it uses QLC Flash).

The largest Flash storage I know of, is a 100TB 3.5" drive. Flash
based. "It's so big, you can do writes for five years and it
won't wear out." But again, silly-expensive and only suitable
for keeping in a museum under armed guard. It costs more than your car.

*******

If we come back to earth for a moment, this isn't bad. $100 for 512GB
That means 1TB should be $200 and 2TB should be $400 or so.

https://www.newegg.com/sandisk-model...82E16820173515

"Capacity 512GB
Read Speed up to 420MB/s
Write Speed up to 380MB/s"

That does not mean I'm some sort of Sandisk fanboi, it means
there's a lot of crap in the market, and these are better than
nothing. I've got a lesser version of an item like that, which
is only 64GB, and I don't buy those too often.

Everyone owns at least one of those dreadful USB3 sticks
that reads at 100MB/sec and writes at 10MB/sec. Just by way
of comparison to a decent one above. After you own a dreadful
one, that's when you start checking the numbers before buying
another one.

Paul
Old March 13th 21, 01:24 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.os.windows-10
Snowshed.

On 3/13/21 4:21 AM, Paul wrote:
Snowshed. wrote:
On 3/12/21 10:18 PM, micky wrote:
I'll skip it for now. Thanks.

Good choice.

Physical space is an issue here, so I tried one of the similar ones, for
half the price. Had to work at getting it to even work. And slow.

There are actually "large" ordinary USB sticks.

The HD drive I bought was advertised as 2TB And according to the
properties, the formatted size is 2TB. But I've not tried to copy that
much data to it.

For the same reason, physical space, I tried one of the 2 tB thumb
drives, same result. Also had to do multiple formats to get it to work.

The mulitple formats for both means I formatted Windows, the Mack, then
windows, them Nac, etc.

I did try to get some satisfaction from Amazon, but their additional
help page kept coming up "Sorry, something went wrong", with a cute
puppy photo, so don't expect any help there.

--
Ken
MacOS 10.14.6
Old March 13th 21, 02:21 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.os.windows-10
Carlos E.R.

On 13/03/2021 04.27, micky wrote:
Why is this so small?

Alternatively, why aren't they all so small?
Less than 4" x 1 1/4" x 1/3".

Is it a real HDD, a spinner, with a rotating platter? It calls it a
harddrive more than once, and never uses SSD, etc. but it's so small.

https://www.amazon.com/External-Hard...9&sr=1-11&th=1

What about that it has no brand name? Would you buy it for a backup
drive?

For file backup, is a real 2.5" external drive better for backup?
external 2.5" HDD, SSD, 3.5" HDD in a dock

Some specs it claims:

Upgraded Type-C/USB3.1 Gen 1 HDD brings fast transmission speed up to
100MB/S.
Speed: 400MB/S
Widely compatible with 99% of PC systems.
Shockproof and anti-drop design to prolong service life.

All that indicate it is not rotating rust. It has to be SSD or nvme if
it is not a scam.

The reviews contain a lot of text that are not for this device. Several
reports are for "car indicators", for example.

Sound fishy.

--
Cheers, Carlos.