List - Manage 3D Settings

Old June 13th 08, 07:50 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Terry Pinnell

Default List - Manage 3D Settings

I'm clueless about gaming and the only 'game' program I have is my
recently installed MS Flight Simulator, which I'm currently learning.
So on going to the NVIDIA Control Panel for the first time, I'm
puzzled why that is not on the very long list I see under Manage 3D
Settings?

Where does this list come from anyway? It's clearly built up from my
installed programs. Is it built into each driver release, i.e. showing
*all* the main games in existence at the time of that release? If so,
presumably it gradually becomes out of date?

Finally, another MS FSX user recommended I use a program called
nHancer to setup my nVidia settings. I've duly installed it but find
it formidably complex. What is the consensus from the experts about
this please?

On this XP Pro PC I have: 512 MB nVIDIA GeoForce 8800GT, Driver
Version 169.21

--
Terry, East Grinstead, UK
Old June 13th 08, 05:29 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Mr.E Solved!

Terry Pinnell wrote:

I'm clueless about gaming and the only 'game' program I have is my
recently installed MS Flight Simulator, which I'm currently learning.
So on going to the NVIDIA Control Panel for the first time, I'm
puzzled why that is not on the very long list I see under Manage 3D
Settings?

The short answer is: You are correct, in most forceware versions there
is no predefined application profile for FSX. The why is complex, mostly
in that it is a mistake IMHO not to have one, and partly in that it
doesn't need one. (see below)

Where does this list come from anyway? It's clearly built up from my
installed programs. Is it built into each driver release, i.e. showing
*all* the main games in existence at the time of that release? If so,
presumably it gradually becomes out of date?

All true in essence, currently an XML file bundled with the Forceware
suite contains the applications and the special conditions when they are
detected as a process. This method has changed through revisions and
continues to do so, not always for the better.

Finally, another MS FSX user recommended I use a program called
nHancer to setup my nVidia settings. I've duly installed it but find
it formidably complex. What is the consensus from the experts about
this please?

It's not complex at all, certainly not compared to FSX. Certainly not
compared to the nVidia control panel, though it might be unfamiliar.

It's not perfect, but it gives you external control over driver settings
which can be critical to FPS gains, or IQ. As in broken game engines
that don't do FSAA properly...much like FSX.

On this XP Pro PC I have: 512 MB nVIDIA GeoForce 8800GT, Driver
Version 169.21

Those 169.21's are stable and speedy, but they have the old XML format
and the current version of enhancer doesn't like them, if you are brave
try the 175.16's which have been hit-or-miss with me, but work very well
with nhancer.

Only you are going to be able to balance FPS, with resolution, with
FSAA, with aniso, with texture sizes, with scene clutter, etc. etc. on
your rig.

The reason you likely want nhancer for FSX is that FSX's internal FSAA
options are a little bit broken and a combination of forcing them
externally (while also enabling internally maybe) gives the best Image
Quality and performance.

Also, texture aliasing is bad with FSX and you can easily fiddle with
filters in nhancer to suit your exact texture anti-aliasing needs. You
can do most things in the nvidia control panel than you can in nhancer,
but not all and no way as easily.

Old June 25th 08, 05:58 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Terry Pinnell

"Mr.E Solved!" wrote:

Terry Pinnell wrote:

[...]

Apologies for my delay in thanking you for that helpful reply.

--
Terry, East Grinstead, UK