eRecover partition rebuild?

Old January 16th 06, 04:16 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.acer

Default eRecover partition rebuild?

When intalling Linux on my Aspire 5002WLMi, I managed to delete the
partition with the eRecover system. Acer says that there is no way to
restore the partition. Do they speak the truth?
===
Jonathan M. Prigot
Old January 21st 06, 07:33 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.acer

Jonathan M. Prigot wrote:
When intalling Linux on my Aspire 5002WLMi, I managed to delete the
partition with the eRecover system. Acer says that there is no way to
restore the partition. Do they speak the truth?
===
Jonathan M. Prigot

I'm afraid so. Unless you did a full hard drive backup with Norton
Ghost or similar. As it contained the factory default image of your OS
you need need to 'secure' your Windows OS ASAP (if you still have one).
Else you need a Windows OS disk.
Old January 26th 06, 03:30 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.acer

I do have the Recovery disks that came with the unit. However, all they
do is install Windows XP, et al. to drive C:. However, if you say that
the ACER_SERVIC (sic) partition is gone for good, then I guess it's
true. I can't believe that a company would not have provide some way of
restoring EVERYTHING on the disk to "factory fresh".
===
Jon

--
Jonathan M. Prigot
Old January 26th 06, 11:44 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.acer

DaveS wrote:

Jonathan M. Prigot wrote:

When intalling Linux on my Aspire 5002WLMi, I managed to delete the
partition with the eRecover system. Acer says that there is no way to
restore the partition. Do they speak the truth?
===
Jonathan M. Prigot

I'm afraid so. Unless you did a full hard drive backup with Norton
Ghost or similar. As it contained the factory default image of your
OS you need need to 'secure' your Windows OS ASAP (if you still have
one). Else you need a Windows OS disk.

When you first powered on your 'new machine' You were invited to create
a factory default set of CD's. This was your option / opportunity to
'secure' the system. I guess ACER's responsibility ended then. I see you
have a recovery set of CD's so you have only lost the ability to run
eRecover which is based on an adaptation of Ghost.

Alternatively it was possible using drive backup software such as Norton
Ghost, to backup ALL the partitions on your harddrive. Attempting to
install another operating system without taking these precautions is
most unwise.

However if your hard drive were to fail and be returned to an Acer
Service Centre I am sure they would reinstate the drive to factory
state. In your case they would probably charge for this service.

Get a copy of GHOST and you will be able to create incremental backups
of all your hard drive's partitions including the 'D' partition which
eRecover does not do for you. A USB external drive is a great idea, and
not too costly these days.
Old January 27th 06, 07:51 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.acer

On Thu, 26 Jan 2006 03:30:17 GMT, "Jonathan M. Prigot"
wrote:

I do have the Recovery disks that came with the unit. However, all they
do is install Windows XP, et al. to drive C:.

Isn't that what you need?