Computer will not start

Old January 16th 08, 04:48 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
[email protected]

Default Computer will not start

On Jan 15, 4:42 pm, pcbldrNinetyEight pcbldrninetyeight.com wrote:
wrote :

On Jan 14, 11:37 pm, pcbldrNinetyEight pcbldrninetyeight.com wrote:
wrote

om:
On Jan 14, 9:44 pm, pcbldrNinetyEight pcbldrninetyeight.com
wrote:
wrote

.co m:

I did not build this computer ... but I am trying to fix it.
The computer is a custom build.

I have an Altec SLK1650 case. I am trying to track down a
problem. If I can get the computer to start the computer works
fine. When I press the button to start the computer it will
make the appropriate sounds but within 1 second the computer
dies. If I press the start button repeatedly it will act like
it is going to start for progressively longer times until it
finally it continues running. At this point the operating system
is not running but the fans are running. I then push the reset
button and then the computer start starts normally. I replaced
the power supply (350W) with a 450W but that did not help. At
this point the computer will not start at all. If I hold the
reset button in and press the start button the computer will
sound like it is running but will not boot. When I release the
reset button the computer dies. Just wondering if it might have
something to do with the start or reset buttons. Any
suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance for the help ... Michael

You didn't describe the hardware. Make sure the CMOS jumper is set
properly.

I would assume that the CMOS jumper is set properly because the
machine has worked and nothing was changed.

I misunderstood. I was watching Tony Bourdain and making posts during
the commercials. In future I must do one or the other but not both.

What other bits is this PC made of?

Thanks for the Reply ... the components a

Motherboard Foxconn 915M03
Intel P4 540 3.2GHZ (I think) the only numbers on it are 35505002
A2493
NVIDIA GeForce 6600 LE soundcard
ATX Ver 2.01 450W power supply
SATA Western Digital Hard Drive 200G
Altec SLK1650 case

You didn't specify what is ram type, maker, amount and number or DIMM's?

If I understand correctly the PC worked properly for a time (possibly a
brief time) and now completely refuses to boot. May (or may not) help me to
know how many hours, days or months it functioned properly.

I doubt the buttons are a problem but you may be able to remove the front
cover of the case and push the switches directly just in case there's a
mechanical problem with the front cover. IIRC the switches are of the
momentarily on type meaning that they complete a circuit only for as long
as you keep them depressed. You can unplug them and test with a multimeter
to verify if they are normally open when not depressed and closed when
depressed.

Read manual and verify that all power connections and case connectors are
correct.

The MOBO is in the discontinued list at Foxconn:http://www.foxconnchannel.com/produc...make_list.aspx

Link to Foxconn 915M03 page:http://www.foxconnchannel.com/produc...il_overview.as...
en-us0000089

Link to manual:http://www.foxconnchannel.com/suppor...aspx?ID=en-us0...
Read manual, determine what options are on MOBO. Reply back with full model
number including suffix.

Try each of the following steps one at a time booting after each step
(unplug power cord before removing/installing hardware or jumpers)(use
grounding strap and observe ESD precautions):
Remove all boards except VGA (disregard if VGA on MOBO). Then boot.
If multiple DIMM installed remove all but one. Then boot.
Put in one DIMM then boot.
Repeat step with each DIMM singly booting each time.
Unplug all but boot drive. Then boot.
Enter BIOS and choose Load Fail-Safe Defaults. Then boot.
Reset BIOS. Be very careful not to power up before placing CMOS jumper in
normal run position. Then boot.
Remove processor heat sink and look for thermal paste. If none found then
remove processor and inspect socket and processor for damage. Apply paste
as needed, reinstall heatsink/fan then boot.

Reply back with your results.

I am fighting a particularly pernicious problem of my own with a CD burner
that corrupted my backups so I may be slow to respond.

--
pcbldrNinetyEight

--
pcbldrNinetyEight

The computer has been working for a couple of years. This is a new
problem. I have not made any changes to the hardware recently. The
only thing that I have done recently is restore a saved image to the
boot drive. That worked fine for a few days. The symptoms came on
slowly. At first it only took a couple of tries to start the
machine. Later it took more tries. I then purchased the new PSU and
it booted on the second try. Now I can not start it at all.

I will test the memory as described but I am not sure how to work with
the BIOS particularly with the inability of starting the computer.

Thanks ... Michael
Old January 16th 08, 05:29 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
[email protected]

wrote:
[...]

The only board I have is the Video board GF 6600LE
I tried each of the memory boards separately and this did not help.
I looked at the processor.. It looks OK and I will have to get some
thermal paste.
Old January 16th 08, 06:44 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
pcbldrNinetyEight

wrote in
:

On Jan 15, 4:42 pm, pcbldrNinetyEight pcbldrninetyeight.com wrote:
wrote

om:

On Jan 14, 11:37 pm, pcbldrNinetyEight pcbldrninetyeight.com
wrote:
wrote

s.c om:
On Jan 14, 9:44 pm, pcbldrNinetyEight pcbldrninetyeight.com
wrote:
wrote

ups .co m:

[...]

http://www.foxconnchannel.com/produc...ds/unmake_list
.aspx

Link to Foxconn 915M03
page:http://www.foxconnchannel.com/produc...detail_overvie
w.as... en-us0000089

Link to
manual:http://www.foxconnchannel.com/suppor...etail.aspx?ID=
[...]

If your heat sink has a gray stick on thermal pad then you will not need
thermal paste.

--
pcbldrNinetyEight
Old January 16th 08, 07:33 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
pcbldrNinetyEight

wrote in
:

On Jan 15, 4:42 pm, pcbldrNinetyEight pcbldrninetyeight.com wrote:
wrote

om:
On Jan 14, 11:37 pm, pcbldrNinetyEight pcbldrninetyeight.com
wrote:
wrote

s.c om:
On Jan 14, 9:44 pm, pcbldrNinetyEight pcbldrninetyeight.com
wrote:
wrote

ups .co m:

[...]

Press and hold down the delete key to enter BIOS immediately after powering
up the PC.

Does anything ever appear on the screen, if not can you swap out the VGA?
Can you swap out the monitor or try it on another PC to verify that it
works?

When the PC starts you should hear only one (faint) beep. If you hear more
than one beep then how many do you hear? If you hear multiple beeps let me
know before you proceed with the following steps.

Unplug the hard drive and do whatever you can to get the PC to turn on and
stay on. It won't boot but you may be able to enter the BIOS and set it to
fail-safe setting. In the manual I read that there are several settings
that can shut down the system therefore you need to set it to fail-safe.

As an extreme last resort to enter the BIOS I would leave the HD unplugged
and remove the processor and then power up the PC.
--
pcbldrNinetyEight
Old January 19th 08, 04:52 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
[email protected]

On Jan 14, 7:38 pm, wrote:
[...]

Well the way I work it is that I try everything that I can and then
give it to someone that has the resources to track down the problem.
That would be a repair shop. I ended up replacing the power supply
and the motherboard. One interesting side note: Those vertical
"barrel" shaped things on the motherboard of which there are a couple
dozen. Well the ends appear to be aluminum and have a score mark on
them. Most are depressed into the "barrel". The repairman pointed
out two that were starting to expand out. He said those were bad or
going bad. Anyway the computer is working. Thanks for all of the
help ... Michael
Old January 22nd 08, 05:09 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
pcbldrNinetyEight

wrote in
:

On Jan 14, 7:38 pm, wrote:
[...]

Good for you Michael. That was a tough not to crack. When the PSU went
it likely took the MOBO hence the swollen caps. Hope your new bits will
last many years.

--
pcbldrNinetyEight

Computer won't start twomt General 21 January 7th 08 09:42 AM
computer won't start! [email protected] Overclocking AMD Processors 6 March 6th 07 11:33 PM
Computer won't start - Help please BH2 Homebuilt PC's 3 February 14th 07 10:26 AM
Computer does not start sometimes! [email protected] Homebuilt PC's 3 November 16th 06 01:11 AM
computer will not start James Walker Overclocking AMD Processors 3 July 9th 03 10:58 AM