1255 Presario Laptop

Old May 27th 04, 09:34 AM
Bill Middleton

Default 1255 Presario Laptop

Hi, I am giving my granddaughter my old 1255 LT and was wondering if there
is anyway to upgrade the 4GB HD internally - do not wish to use a USB
external HD

TIA

Bill M.

Old May 27th 04, 11:20 AM
HH

The top of the 1200 series line, the 1279, had only a 4.8GB drive, so there
may be an 8 GB drive size limit in BIOS on the series. There is no way to
tell for sure if this is the case or not. If you could find an 8 GB drive,
or a 10 GB drive (only 8 GB might be recognized) you could replace the
original 4GB drive. As an alternative, you could use drive overlay software
(available from the HD manufacturer) and install a larger drive, but this
would slow down an already slow hard drive.
HH

Old May 28th 04, 10:27 AM
Bill Middleton

Thanks HH - will see if I can get my hands on one (any increase in capacity
would be great)

Bill M.

Old June 2nd 04, 11:27 AM
HH

Uh, the original 1200 Series and the later 12XL series are totally different
animals. The 12XL2XX models were introduced in the summer of 2000. The 1255
was introduced in January of 1999. I'm not saying flat out that a larger
than 8GB drive won't work, just that I have doubts.
HH

Old June 2nd 04, 11:32 AM
Goldy

I replaced my 5 gig with 20gig toshiba on my 1200 xl118
no problems at all . the pheonix bios f10 (I believe) recognized it right
off.

Old June 3rd 04, 05:42 AM
Steve W.

My 1255 has an 8Gig in it for that very reason. I tried a 12 gig and it
wouldn't see the drive.
I was looking at it the other day thinking about what the fastest proc.
it could handle would be.
It all works fine and about two years ago I sent it in to have the
touchpad replaced under the extended warranty
they surprised me by sending it back with a bunch of new parts it really
didn't need. I sent in the bare machine with
the power adapter and a known bad battery (only one I had at the time),
It came back with a new battery, new touchpad
replacement backlight, new keyboard (lettering was worn on the old one),
and someone left a network/modem card in it also.
No charge....
--
Steve Williams

Old June 3rd 04, 11:40 AM
HH

Steve,
Thanks for the first-hand info. That's what I assumed but did not know for
sure.
Sounds like you got great service. Often, users will get some type of free
upgrade (hard drive, memory, etc.) if they have to send in their laptop for
repair under warranty. It's a customer satisfaction policy that, sadly, is
not seen quite as often these days.
As for the processor, your K6/2 333 is one of the faster 66MHz bus K6/2s.
There may be one or two slightly faster 66MHz bus K6/2s, but not enough to
tell much difference from what you have now.
If you have not Maxed out RAM at 160MB, that likely would be the best
upgrade you could try. Your 1255 came with 32MB on the board and one
available SODIMM slot which will take up to a 128MB SODIMM. The largest
Crucial has in stock for the 1255 is a 64MB SODIMM. It is he

http://www.crucial.com/store/listpar...5. &submit=Go

If you are still running the original 32MB, even adding the 64MB SODIMM
would give you a major performance boost. You also might try Kingston or
ZipZoomFly to see if a compatible 128MB SODIMM is available.

Regards

HH

Old June 3rd 04, 04:39 PM
Steve W.

I have maxed it out on memory. I figured the processor would be about
end of line anyway.
It works fine for what I use it for though.

--
Steve Williams