Booting box with no monitor

Old January 11th 04, 04:11 PM
Mike Waters

Default Booting box with no monitor

I want to be able to boot a desktop box that has no monitor attached (I dont
have room!), then remote control it using RealVNC from a laptop.... any
suggestions on how to get the box to boot ? Just hangs on video card Bios
screen..

Regards,

Mike

Old January 11th 04, 04:17 PM
Sooky Grumper

Mike Waters wrote:
I want to be able to boot a desktop box that has no monitor attached (I dont
have room!), then remote control it using RealVNC from a laptop.... any
suggestions on how to get the box to boot ? Just hangs on video card Bios
screen..

Regards,

Mike

Computers do not need monitors to boot. Something else is wrong with
that computer.

Old January 11th 04, 04:31 PM
JT

On Mon, 12 Jan 2004 00:17:00 +0800, Sooky Grumper
wrote:

Mike Waters wrote:
I want to be able to boot a desktop box that has no monitor attached (I dont
have room!), then remote control it using RealVNC from a laptop.... any
suggestions on how to get the box to boot ? Just hangs on video card Bios
screen..

Regards,

Mike

Computers do not need monitors to boot. Something else is wrong with
that computer.

There are quite a few computers that won't boot up without a monitor,
unless you set the bios properly. Some of the shrink-wrapped mass market
ones will not boot without a monitor no matter what, just giving a series
of beeps that indicate no monitor is attached.

JT
Old January 11th 04, 04:33 PM
philo

"Mike Waters" wrote in message
I want to be able to boot a desktop box that has no monitor attached (I

dont
have room!), then remote control it using RealVNC from a laptop.... any
suggestions on how to get the box to boot ? Just hangs on video card Bios
screen..

Regards,

Mike

first check the bios...
there may be a setting such as stop on no errors

if not...it may be a finction of the video card itself

if so, either try a different video card or perhaps none at all

Old January 11th 04, 04:34 PM
JT

On Sun, 11 Jan 2004 16:11:51 -0000, "Mike Waters" wrote:

I want to be able to boot a desktop box that has no monitor attached (I dont
have room!), then remote control it using RealVNC from a laptop.... any
suggestions on how to get the box to boot ? Just hangs on video card Bios
screen..

Regards,

Mike

In the BIOS setup, there should be an entry for what errors to stop on. Set
it for no errors. Also, there may be an entry for video card type. Set it
to none. There are a few systems, mostly shrink-wrapped low-end consumer
models from HP, Compaq, Emachine, etc. that won't have these settings, and
you may have to try something else.

JT

Old January 12th 04, 04:52 PM
Terry Wilson

If all else fails, you could get a KVM.

http://www.axiontech.com/prdt.php?item=9968

Old January 12th 04, 07:39 PM
MCR

Mike Waters wrote:

I want to be able to boot a desktop box that has no monitor attached (I dont
have room!), then remote control it using RealVNC from a laptop.... any
suggestions on how to get the box to boot ? Just hangs on video card Bios
screen..

Regards,

Mike

I had a similar setup, so my small pentium 2 could download direct from
the internet and act as server and I could turn my monster PC off.

Mine never reported a problem with no monitor, so maybe thats not your
problem

--
MCR
MAME - History In The Making