tiger direct kit - "UNKNOWN PROCESSOR REVISION"

Old December 31st 06, 06:01 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
[email protected]

Default tiger direct kit - "UNKNOWN PROCESSOR REVISION"

tigerdirect recently sold a kit with an MSI RX480 Neo2-F mobo and an
AMD Athlon 64 3700+ "San Diego" CPU.

it seems that some or all of these kits were shipped with a revision E6
CPU, which DOES NOT, CAN NOT and WILL NOT work with that older mobo.

if you bought this kit and only got as far as "WARNING: UNKNOWN
PROCESSOR REVISION - BOOT FAILED" then you got screwed by the tiger.

i bought this kit 2+ weeks ago, i'm on my 3rd mobo (a different model,
this time), and i'm still waiting for the correct parts to make this
system work.

apparently some people returned the kit, and paid shipping both ways,
some people spent extra money to replace the CPU and/or mobo, and some
(like me) are still fighting to get a system that works. tiger direct
so far refuses to admit that it was their mistake to ship a kit with
incompatable parts, and blames the merchandise for being defective
and/or blames the customer for being too stupid to put the kit
together.

if anyone else bought this kit, please post your story.

if you plan to dispute some or all of the charges, or pursue legal or
regulatory action, please send me your contact info... if i pursue this
alone i'll be blown off as either unlucky with defective parts or too
stupid to build a computer. if anyone else pursues this alone, they'll
meet the same fate. if a group of us all have the same story, and an
invoice, we have much better odds of setting this straight.

Old December 31st 06, 09:39 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Paul

wrote:
[...]

This page has your CPU support. You need to update the BIOS, using
some other processor. Unfortunately, this table does not show which
minimum BIOS version is required to run your E6.

http://www.msi.com.tw/program/produc...UID=700&kind=1

If you cannot gain access to another S939 processor, for the purposes
of flashing your BIOS, you can contact badflash.com , give them $25,
and get a BIOS chip with the latest MSI BIOS flashed into it. As
long as the BIOS chip is socketed, it can be pulled and replaced
with another device. The picture on the MSI site, shows a socket
is present for the BIOS chip, so it doesn't look like it is
soldered in place. So badflash.com could bail you out.

(Second from top, upper right hand corner, is your BIOS chip.)
http://www.msi.com.tw/images/product...d_img/7151.jpg

Paul
Old December 31st 06, 03:25 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
[email protected]

Paul wrote:

This page has your CPU support. You need to update the BIOS, using
some other processor. Unfortunately, this table does not show which
minimum BIOS version is required to run your E6.

http://www.msi.com.tw/program/produc...UID=700&kind=1

The mobo shipped with BIOS v1.1, which was last updated in Oct 2005.
That's the latest BIOS, and the latest BIOS does not support the CPU
that came with the kit.

Tiger Direct sold an older/discontinued/unsupported mobo with the
latest and greatest revision of the CPU. Obviously Tiger Direct didn't
test this setup with a test build before selling it to people and
costing them money and wasting their time. Worse yet, Tiger Direct
seems to be dragging it's feet with anyone who wants to get a working
system out of it, and refusing to refund shipping fees for people who
returned it.

Old December 31st 06, 03:36 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
JAD

wrote in message oups.com...
Paul wrote:

This page has your CPU support. You need to update the BIOS, using
some other processor. Unfortunately, this table does not show which
minimum BIOS version is required to run your E6.

http://www.msi.com.tw/program/produc...UID=700&kind=1

The mobo shipped with BIOS v1.1, which was last updated in Oct 2005.
That's the latest BIOS, and the latest BIOS does not support the CPU
that came with the kit.

Tiger Direct sold an older/discontinued/unsupported mobo with the
latest and greatest revision of the CPU. Obviously Tiger Direct didn't
test this setup with a test build before selling it to people and
costing them money and wasting their time. Worse yet, Tiger Direct
seems to be dragging it's feet with anyone who wants to get a working
system out of it, and refusing to refund shipping fees for people who
returned it.

tiger direct - doesn't surprise me. Do a google and read the tales.

Old January 4th 07, 10:56 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
[email protected]

I bought the exact same kit.

And yes, the combo is completely dead.
I've just contacted Tiger and awaiting a response. But I'll be damned
if I'll pay a cent in shipping to get this mobo replaced.

Old January 4th 07, 11:23 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
[email protected]

Well that sucks.

I alread RMA'd the processor and got a new one, thinking that might've
been it, but I guess they sent another E6 revision.

Other than getting a new motherboard, am I screwed?

Old February 27th 07, 09:53 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
[email protected]

here's one for the archives...

the credit card dispute was just closed in my favor, for 100% of the
disputed amount. after 30 days, TD didn't even respond to the dispute.
and yes, i have the gear.

when i placed the order, i paused for almost a second and thought
about saving $20 by paying via paypal... damn good thing i paid with a
credit card instead!!!

i suspect that i'll soon get a letter from TD's collection dept or a
collection agency... nothing but bull**** scare tactics... "pay us, or
else!" when that happens, i will immediately reply and let them know
that this matter has been settled through my credit card's dispute
resolution process, and any further inquiries should be directed to
them. it's not common knowledge, but if one doesn't respond to a
collection letter within 30 days it implies guilt, and *can* be used
to secure a judgment: if one does respond, and states very simply why
no money is owed, then the agency will most likely discard that case
and move on with the 99.999% of cases that no one responded to.

Old February 28th 07, 04:52 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Nil

On 27 Feb 2007, John Doe wrote in
alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt:

Of course some people like Tiger Direct, but it isn't even on my
list of shopping Shortcuts. I bought something from them maybe a few
years ago. I don't like their look and feel. Overall, seems to me
they don't get very good feedback posted here either.

I bought a system's-worth of components from TIger Direct last year. In
the process of trying to troubleshoot a problem, I had to return almost
every component until I tracked down the culprit. Their returns process
was very easy, and they issued my credits promptly. It was a very good
experience for me.
Old February 28th 07, 05:19 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
JAD[_2_]

"Nil" wrote in message
On 27 Feb 2007, John Doe wrote in
alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt:

Of course some people like Tiger Direct, but it isn't even on my
list of shopping Shortcuts. I bought something from them maybe a few
years ago. I don't like their look and feel. Overall, seems to me
they don't get very good feedback posted here either.

I bought a system's-worth of components from TIger Direct last year. In
the process of trying to troubleshoot a problem, I had to return almost
every component until I tracked down the culprit.

thats why some get the shaft...abuse of policy from others

Core Duo Amy L Asus Motherboards 21 August 1st 06 12:22 AM
Tiger Direct mga Homebuilt PC's 15 July 29th 06 12:53 AM
Tiger Direct Scam killer kain Homebuilt PC's 33 April 13th 06 02:04 AM
REQ- Medion System at Tiger Direct? [email protected] General 1 June 30th 03 10:02 PM