problem installing Winmodem on A7N8X-X

Old November 29th 04, 03:51 PM
Michael Eisenstadt

Default problem installing Winmodem on A7N8X-X

I am having a problem installing a Winmodem
in a newly assembled computer with an Asus
A7NX-X board, Win 98SE and AMD Athlon
2600+ CPU.

The Winmodem is a Boca WinStorm 57k and
it functions in my older computer, recognizing
a dial tone and dialing out. This computer also
runs under Win 98SE; it has an Asus P2B board
and a Pentium II 450.

In the newer computer, using the Boca install CD,
the modem is assigned to COM2 and the Device
Manager reports that it is functioning normally.
However the modem does not recognize a dial tone.

In the older computer, which also has a USRobotics
Sportster 57k modem (not a Winmodem) installed
(in an ISA slot), the Boca winmodem is assigned to COM3\
& IRQ 5 andthe USRobotics to COM2 & IRQ3.

But where is COM3 in the A7N8X-X. I can manually
assign an IRQ to the Winmodem, but COM1 & COM2 are
the only options , no COM3. Do I need to disable
PnP in the BIOS before reassigning IRQs. Is there
a preferred order of installing cards? Currently
I have only a PCI video card & an Intel video
card the latter functioning after a lot of fiddling.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Mike Eisenstadt
Old November 29th 04, 08:32 PM
Arnie Berger

(Michael Eisenstadt) wrote in message . com...
[...]

This is only a guess, but try going into the BIOS set-up and disable
COM2. I believe that COM2 is the second serial port on your mobo and
if the modem is getting assigned to the same I/O port address and
interrupt request line you will have a conflict. This could easily be
manifested as not seeing interrupts.
HTH.

arnie
Old November 29th 04, 08:51 PM
BigJIm

go into the control panel and use the add hardware and see if that will
install it for you
om...