X800XT: black screen after computer has been accessed through remotedesktop

Old September 2nd 05, 09:56 AM
Lorenzo Sandini

Default X800XT: black screen after computer has been accessed through remotedesktop

Hi,

Little troublesome issue here. I have long been using a 9800XT on an
Abit IC7, then replaced it with a X800XT and everything as always worked
as advertised.

Now I replaced the motherboard with an ASUS PAP800SE since the IC7 is
fried, and I have the following problem:

I access my computer from work, using remote desktop. When I get home in
the evening, my computer is still running, and can be accessed using
remote desktop from my laptop for example using the local network.
However the monitor is black and does not receive any signal from the
computer, and it's impossible to wake it up. It's not in standby mode, I
disabled all power saving options and just shut down the monitor in the
morning when I leave.

If I reboot the computer using remote desktop, the monitor comes to life
normally.

Updated cat 5.7 to 5.8 yesterday to see what happens, doesn't seem to be
a driver issue. I don't see any power management options in the
motherboard BIOS related to waking up the video.

If I access the computer using remote desktop from an other computer in
the house, the screen normally goes to the welcome menu, and does not
turn black. Apparently it turns black only after I am away for a few
hours, even if I work continuously on the computer using remote desktop.

Any suggestion ? Thank you

Lorenzo
Old September 2nd 05, 07:10 PM
Tony DiMarzio

First suggestion: Clean install of Windows XP SP2. Subsequently apply all
critical updates from Windows Update.
Second suggestion: Update chipset drivers and possibly BIOS version.

Tony

Old September 3rd 05, 05:24 PM
Lorenzo Sandini

First of One wrote:
Is this a CRT or LCD? Connected through the DVI port?

LCD, installed on DVI.

Lorenzo

Old September 5th 05, 01:33 AM
Comcast

I had the exact same problem as you with a X800 PE card, and a uninstall of
the drivers and install of the newest drivers on ati's site solved my issue.
Hope this helps you.

Ric

Old September 5th 05, 10:59 PM
HockeyTownUSA

[...]

Try going back to CATs 5.6. Similar issues reared their head in 5.7 and 5.8.