Gateway laptops at Best Buy

Old November 23rd 04, 02:06 AM
Bob

Default Gateway laptops at Best Buy

Best Buy has several Gateway laptops (the 4520.4530,4535) but when searching
the Gateway web site, none of these are found. Why is that? Anyone with
these laptops...how are they?

Thanks
Bob

Old November 23rd 04, 09:44 AM
David Samuel Barr

Bob wrote:

Best Buy has several Gateway laptops (the 4520.4530,4535) but when
searching the Gateway web site, none of these are found. Why is that?

It is routine for manufacturers of all kinds of products--computers,
TVs, mattresses, whatever--to make certain models exclusively for
specific sales outlets, even specific stores. No doubt the models you
see in Best Buy are in a line that are being made just for retail or
just for Best Buy, which is why they wouldn't show up on the website.
(This is why so many stores that claim to match their competitors'
prices never actually do so; when a customer tries to hold them to it,
they require that the competitors' prices be on the exact same model
number, which is impossible because they are the only stores which
carry those models.)

Old November 23rd 04, 07:15 PM
Tweek

The M320 series on Gateways website is basically the same unit that is in
Best Buy (the Celeron M/Pentium M models anyway). It has the same chassis,
but is a different color scheme, silver/black rather than just black.

Old November 23rd 04, 11:51 PM
Edward J. Neth

Likely for the same reason that Best Buy, Circuit City and others sell
mostly identical models of many things with different model numbers -
and for the same reason you find the same mattress for sale at multiple
vendors with different model names -it makes it just about impossible to
hold the retailer accountable for pricing (or competition-shop).

Old November 24th 04, 01:08 AM
news-server.woh.rr.com

Before you buy--check ALL details with Best Buy. I purchased a desktop from
them and what I found out:
By the way I had called Gateway to inquire about price differences before I
purchased. The response was the prices would be the same no matter where it
was purchased. The only thing the salesperson said was that I couldn't
configure it if I purchased in the store. The IMPRESSION I got was the
retail outlet was basically the same as the Country store. She didn't say
that exactly but said they closed the Country Stores because they bought
Emachines and they were marketed in retail stores, so they just moved the
Gateways to the stores.
First of all, the tech support number is NOT toll free. It is a separate
number for retail sales. They will not help you at the toll free number.
(At the time they couldn't because they had no info on the system)
You get no packing slip as such so no info on what is in your system, unless
you call them at tech support. Basic only..what is printed on the box is
what info you have. This is a problem for me as I usually update drivers
etc. and no part numbers available.
The serial numbers are different..start with letters rather than numbers, so
Gateway online didn't recognize to get specs that way. (MIGHT be different
now)
Instructions in the box said to register at Gateway.com, but the system
wasn't there. It is now however.
I spent HOURS on the phone to tech, customer support, emachine(was referred
there), long distance tech support etc.
And the worst for me was the only restore option was a restore image that
ONLY allowed returning the system to the factory config. No option to
reinstall windows only and leave off the other trials etc you don't want.
I called Gateway direct and was assured I would get the oem os disk if I
ordered direct from Gateway. The system is supposed to be here the end of
the week. Will let you know.
I returned the one to Best Buy. I liked the machine, but not all the other
details.
I know this is long, but in my opinion, it was rather deceptive.
Pam

Old November 24th 04, 01:39 AM
Cal Cerise

Gateway has been selling some ODM products originally ordered with
eMachines badges and design features as Gateways lately. The Athlon
notebooks are pure eMachines, not Gateways(sic). Needless to say
nothing interchanges.

The desktops sold at Infest Buy and MicroCenter are the same deal.
Guarantee the first time you need parts, the old standby third party
GW vendors are going to be SOL.

Of course they are defecating all over the brand-but they've been
doing that since Weitzen came in.