Installing Ethenet Card

Old November 2nd 03, 05:32 AM
scott

Default Installing Ethenet Card

I sure am glad I found this news group because I cant find anything on the
Compaq/HP site.
Ok we have an older "Compaq Presario 2258" downstairs that the kids use for
homework, etc., and we want to network it to our pc upstairs which has a
cable hookup. Our PC upstairs is good to go with a network set up but my
problem is the "Compaq" does not have an Ethernet card and I am not even
sure one can be installed.
So my question is--can an Ethernet card be installed and how do I do
it?--and what type do I need? I have never installed one, though I have
performed other upgrades to the PC upstairs. If any of you know how, or can
direct me to a site that explains how, that would be great. Were not looking
to put much money into this "card" because the pc is so old, so I want to
take that into consideration when purchasing one.
Hell we might even try to get it and maybe the "router" on E-bay.
Thanks for your help!!
PS If any one can recommend the type of router (hard wired or wireless) that
would be best that would be great too. My concern with the router is --that
it does not interfere with my downloads.

Old November 2nd 03, 06:43 AM
scott

Maybe I should first ask what the best way to network these 2 PC's together
the most cost efficient way??? Our pc is upstairs in a back room. The other
is on the other side of the house --downstairs.

Old November 2nd 03, 04:04 PM
Kevin Childers

I've done that on a 2266 using a D-Link wireless router and WIFI card.
Worked well enough, considering the age of the PC. Don't enter into this
thinking your kids will be all set for internet gaming and streaming media.
The old 2266 chokes on the games and the streaming media some time stalls.
RAM is at 256 and there is a 350 Mhz processor, but performance is marginal
for these apps. Email, IM and the like are just fine and web browsing is
good too.

Cost wise, it all came to about $120.00 for the router and card at Best
Buy after rebates.

KC