barton 2500, sempron 64, athlon 64

Old November 14th 04, 11:41 AM
Chris 159

Default barton 2500, sempron 64, athlon 64

in terms of everyday normal usage plus the odd bit of video capturing and
occasional games how would the above cpu's compare to each other ?

obviously the athlon 64 would be the best choice but how much difference is
there between the barton and the sempron 64 and also the sempron 64 to the
athlon 64 ?

i know the normal sempron is to amd what the celeron is to pentium.

basically - i've just bought a 64 board and dont waant to spend too much
cash on a cpu so i'd like to know - is the sempron 64 any better thaan the
barton i've already got or would i haave to go for the athlon 64 ?

TIA

chris

Old November 14th 04, 12:36 PM
RD

Hi Chris,
"Chris 159" wrote in message
in terms of everyday normal usage plus the odd bit of video capturing and
occasional games how would the above cpu's compare to each other ?

obviously the athlon 64 would be the best choice but how much difference
is there between the barton and the sempron 64 and also the sempron 64 to
the athlon 64 ?

i know the normal sempron is to amd what the celeron is to pentium.

basically - i've just bought a 64 board and dont waant to spend too much
cash on a cpu so i'd like to know - is the sempron 64 any better thaan
the barton i've already got or would i haave to go for the athlon 64 ?

Ahh, tell me does the mobo support double sided dimms at pc3200? I made
what I think was a collossal error upgrading to amd64 from a barton core
XP2500+:-(

I cant use part of my old pc3200 memory because my epox skt754 board wont
take more
than 2 sticks if one is doublesided, and while I could o/c my barton to
XP3200+.

I cant get my AMD64 2800 to o/c worth a damm:-/ So now I cant get a decent
o/c and
I cant have 1 gig of memory, unless I buy a single sided stick of 1gig
DDR:-) Bloody expensive
upgrade so far for nowt:-(

Regards,
RD

Old November 14th 04, 01:49 PM
Ed Light

"RD" wrote in
I cant get my AMD64 2800 to o/c worth a damm:

If you have a pci lock then you could set the memory to a lower speed, such
as 266, then raise your "bus" speed up until the memory is back to its stock
speed.

--
Ed Light

Smiley :-/
MS Smiley :-\

Send spam to the FTC at

Thanks, robots.

Old November 14th 04, 02:11 PM
Chris 159

"RD" wrote in message
Hi Chris,
"Chris 159" wrote in message
[...]

from what i've read so far it'll only accept single sided. but i might be
wrong.
Hmm i never even considered that :-(
i'll have to look into it a bit more before i buy a cpu

cheers

Old November 14th 04, 02:21 PM
Chris 159

"Chris 159" wrote in message

"RD" wrote in message
Hi Chris,
"Chris 159" wrote in message
[...]

just checked - it takes standard (presumably single sided) ddr or dual
channel ddr2

:-(

:-(

Old November 14th 04, 02:32 PM
Ykalon

Chris 159 wrote:
in terms of everyday normal usage plus the odd bit of video capturing and
occasional games how would the above cpu's compare to each other ?

obviously the athlon 64 would be the best choice but how much difference is
there between the barton and the sempron 64 and also the sempron 64 to the
athlon 64 ?

i know the normal sempron is to amd what the celeron is to pentium.

basically - i've just bought a 64 board and dont waant to spend too much
cash on a cpu so i'd like to know - is the sempron 64 any better thaan the
barton i've already got or would i haave to go for the athlon 64 ?

TIA

chris

You can't really call the socket 754 Sempron Sempron 64 since it does
not have any 64 bit extensions. It is a purely 32 bit CPU with only 256
KB cache. Yes it is better than a socket A Barton but an Athlon64 2800+
is quite a bit faster and DOES support 64 bits plus have 512 KB cache.
And it does not cost that much more.
Old November 14th 04, 02:36 PM
Chris 159

"Ykalon" wrote in message
Chris 159 wrote:
[...]

oh right. i'm only going by what cpu's are available on ebay. there's sckt
754 cpu's listed as sempron 64 @ circa £50 for new. and athlon 64's @ circa
£80 (2nd hand)

cheers

Old November 14th 04, 06:30 PM

On Sun, 14 Nov 2004 14:32:56 GMT, Ykalon wrote:

Chris 159 wrote:

in terms of everyday normal usage plus the odd bit of video capturing and
occasional games how would the above cpu's compare to each other ?

obviously the athlon 64 would be the best choice but how much difference is
there between the barton and the sempron 64 and also the sempron 64 to the
athlon 64 ?

i know the normal sempron is to amd what the celeron is to pentium.

basically - i've just bought a 64 board and dont waant to spend too much
cash on a cpu so i'd like to know - is the sempron 64 any better thaan the
barton i've already got or would i haave to go for the athlon 64 ?

Ask for Wes :
http://mysite.verizon.net/res0exft/sempron.htm

Old November 14th 04, 06:36 PM
Chris 159

Chris 159 wrote:

in terms of everyday normal usage plus the odd bit of video capturing
and
occasional games how would the above cpu's compare to each other ?

obviously the athlon 64 would be the best choice but how much difference
is
there between the barton and the sempron 64 and also the sempron 64 to
the
athlon 64 ?

i know the normal sempron is to amd what the celeron is to pentium.

basically - i've just bought a 64 board and dont waant to spend too much
cash on a cpu so i'd like to know - is the sempron 64 any better thaan
the
barton i've already got or would i haave to go for the athlon 64 ?

Ask for Wes :
http://mysite.verizon.net/res0exft/sempron.htm

interesting - thanks

Old November 14th 04, 07:12 PM
Chris 159

"Wes Newell" wrote in message
newsan.2004.11.14.19.12.44.872169@TAKEOUTverizon .net...
On Sun, 14 Nov 2004 11:41:54 +0000, Chris 159 wrote:

basically - i've just bought a 64 board and dont waant to spend too much
cash on a cpu so i'd like to know - is the sempron 64 any better thaan
the
barton i've already got or would i haave to go for the athlon 64 ?

See Sempron in link below.

already have done thanks ;-)

seems like its going to have to be the athlon 64