Video computer questions

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old July 12th 03, 07:23 PM
Eddie W. Stroud

Default Video computer questions

I don't quite understand some of your comments. As the DVI output, are you
referring to the connection of your computer to your computer monitor? I
thought all Sony's have an IEEE-1394 Firewire port. That's what I would want
to output video back to a camcorder. The VGA/DVI port issue would be
irrelevant as to getting video to a DVD-RW burner. Playing a DVD is another
matter.

A lot of articles would consider DVD-RW to be more compatible than DVD+RW.
Check www.dvdrhelp.com. They have some compatibility lists, yours might be
included.

It doesn't seem to me that your video card is too critical in the
capture/creation of DVD process, only in playing video on your computer. If
you plan to watch DVD's on your Emerson player, it might not make much
difference.

Ed

"Danny Deger" wrote in message
I am seriously thinking about buying a Sony desktop from Tiger Direct for
$899. It is marketed as an entry video machine.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...ls.asp?sku=S16
7-3152%20P

I couldn't come close to buying the components and putting a machine
together for this price. But, I am concern about its video "card" which

is:
"64MB Intel 845G Integrated Graphics [shared]" and its DVD-RW burner.

First, it doesn't have a DVI output. I have a DVI monitor and a DVI cable
that I plan to use. If I go to analog VGA, will I loose much?

Second, is the built in "shared" video OK in the long run. I have been

told
to watch for built in video, it typically doesn't have anywhere close to

the
power of a dedicated card.

Third, the machine doesn't have an AGP slot for a video card is I don't

like
the lack of DVI and current video performance. It only has PCI slots. I
current have a Radeon 7000 PCI on an older machine, that works OK. But I
don't do video processing and games? Will PCI only video card be a

problem
for video and games? I don't plan on doing sophisticated video

processing.
Taking my digital camcorder video to a DVD is about all I need to do. I
don't need superb video performance, but don't want to be stuck with a dog
if PCI is a dog.

Fourth, I have an Emerson DVD player. Is there anyway to check
compatibility of the DVD writer to my player (the computer comes with a
DVD-RW, which isn't as good as DVD+RW for compatibility). Compatibility
with DVD players is important to me, but how can I spec a computer to burn
compatible DVDs? Should I insist on DVD+RW?

Danny Deger