Compaq Presario 1270 - How do I update it to Win 98 SE or Win 2000?

Old October 13th 03, 07:01 AM
East Coast

Default Compaq Presario 1270 - How do I update it to Win 98 SE or Win 2000?

I have a Compaq Presario 1270 running Windows 98 as it was shipped. I
need Win 98 SE for the improved USB stuff so it can support a CD
burner since the CD burners I have looked at say Win 98 SE is
required.

How do I update it from a Win 98 to a Win 98 SE? Where do I get Win 98
SE and is this an update to go to SE, or does this require wiping out
the hard disk and installing Win 98 SE from scratch?

The other thing I am considering, is running Windows 2000 on it. Has
anyone done this and does it run OK on the Compaq Presario 1270 which
is a AMD-K6(tm)-2/ at 350 Mhz. Thanks!
Old October 16th 03, 03:04 PM
Michael Naven

I think it would be better to update it to Windows XP since the update is
available whereas it will be hard to find the update to 98 SE, but you might
have to put in more memory to handle XP. It usually takes at least 128 MB.
But if you are set on Windows 98 SE a good computer specialty store like
Comp USA might have it, but I can't guarantee that they will.
om...

Old October 16th 03, 03:30 PM
Kevin Childers

You can get a full legal copy from www.epcusa.com.

I buy used PCs and parts from them locally and they have a huge stock of
used Compaq products. They are the clearing house for a large
office/business machine leasing company. They receive the used equipment,
test it and wipe the drives. Depending on the systems condition they may
part it out as well. At present they have fully working, wiped (no OS
installed) Compaq 350s (various models) for under $60.00. Lesser machines
are marked as "Propeller Head Specials" and go for as low as $10.00 for 120
Mhz and lower. Used monitors go for under $30.00 and peripherals priced
similarly.

SC

"Michael Naven" wrote in message
I think it would be better to update it to Windows XP since the update is
available whereas it will be hard to find the update to 98 SE, but you

might
have to put in more memory to handle XP. It usually takes at least 128 MB.
But if you are set on Windows 98 SE a good computer specialty store like
Comp USA might have it, but I can't guarantee that they will.
om...

Old October 16th 03, 08:41 PM
the yeti

The other thing I am considering, is running Windows 2000 on it. Has
anyone done this and does it run OK on the Compaq Presario 1270 which
is a AMD-K6(tm)-2/ at 350 Mhz. Thanks!

Win2k will run fine on this processor, possibly even better than
win98se. The reason it might even run better is that it has much
better memory management. Stuff as much RAM into that box as you can
and you are all set.

Compaq FAQ HH Compaq Computers 0 October 3rd 03 04:09 PM
Compaq FAQ HH Compaq Computers 1 August 7th 03 11:24 PM
Compaq FAQ HH Compaq Computers 0 August 7th 03 04:22 PM
Compaq FAQ HH Compaq Computers 0 August 1st 03 09:24 PM
Compaq FAQ Updated HH Compaq Computers 0 June 29th 03 03:58 PM