Question(s) about cases and power supplies

Old April 5th 07, 11:35 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Erich Kohl

Default Question(s) about cases and power supplies

Hello all,

I'm a fairly serious computer enthusiast planning to assemble a new PC
from scratch within the next month or two.

I have certain cases in mind from the typical brand names (Apevia,
Cooler Master, Thermaltake, etc.), and I want to go with an aftermarket
power supply (I've learned based on people's reviews to not use the one
that is supplied with the case).

How will I know for sure that the power supply I choose will have
enough of the right types of cables to properly supply electricity to
everything on my motherboard and case that needs it (cases nowadays
seem to have a lot of extras, like temperature readouts and bright blue
LED lights)?

Also, I've seen power supplies differentiated as ATX, ATX12V, etc.
What exactly is the difference? (I at least know that ATX is the form
factor I'm going with.)

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Old April 5th 07, 11:58 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt

When building a system from scratch, generally you should start
with a motherboard, and then select a power supply and case to
match the mobo's features and capabilities. Power supply cables
are pretty standard these days, and the biggest issue is usually
cable length, i.e. if you're going to use a full size tower make sure
the supply's cables are long enough to accomodate it.

As for the difference in PS specs, start he
http://compreviews.about.com/od/cases/a/ATX12VvATX.htm

Old April 6th 07, 02:56 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
FKS

How will I know for sure that the power supply I choose will have
enough of the right types of cables to properly supply electricity to
everything on my motherboard and case that needs it (cases nowadays
seem to have a lot of extras, like temperature readouts and bright blue
LED lights)?

Get a 550W+ PSU from good manufacturers like Seasonic or Zalman and you will
know that you don't have to think about all the issues you mentioned.

Old April 7th 07, 04:53 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Erich Kohl

FKS wrote:

How will I know for sure that the power supply I choose will have
enough of the right types of cables to properly supply electricity
to everything on my motherboard and case that needs it (cases
nowadays seem to have a lot of extras, like temperature readouts
and bright blue LED lights)?

Get a 550W+ PSU from good manufacturers like Seasonic or Zalman and
you will know that you don't have to think about all the issues you
mentioned.

Thank you both for the advice.

Old April 8th 07, 12:38 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Squat

"Erich Kohl" wrote in message
[...]

OK, This may seem stupid but if you pick a case color other than the
standard white. be sure that all your CD drives have matching color faces.
I speak from exp. I have a nifty black Antec case with a white CDROM drive.
DUH!!!. When I opened all the boxes and began assembly, I thought. Damn, How
could I have overlooked something so simple.
Actually, it ewas easy, I was concerned about speed, price and all all the
other "essential" things. My wife looked at it and het first questions was,
"Why is does it have a white CD-ROM?"
My response. - "No honey, it's a speed thing, the white CD-ROMs are faster
than the black ones"

"uh huh...."

Any way, that's my advice...

Squat.