Best Mobo/CPU Combo For $200-$250

Old June 26th 04, 09:31 PM
SpicaTC50

Default Best Mobo/CPU Combo For $200-$250

I'm putting together a base system tomorrow and could use some advice.
Thanks.

Old June 26th 04, 10:01 PM
Robert Jackson Marley

mobile 2500 and asus a7n8x-e deluxe would suffice

Old June 26th 04, 10:24 PM
SpicaTC50

Thanks. Any rec on memory without breaking the bank?

In article ,
x says...

Old June 26th 04, 11:30 PM
rms

Oh come on. Newegg.com has a Athlon64 2800+ & Mobo & FarCry for $223.
It's time to stop recommending socketA.

rms

Old June 27th 04, 03:43 AM
Jake Smith

How about that 64bit OS and Applications, all games run slower on
64bit cpu all of them

Old June 27th 04, 04:09 AM
rms

How about that 64bit OS and Applications, all games run slower on
64bit cpu all of them

So what? the guy is considering the AthlonXP, which the Athlon64 beats
handily in 32bit. 64bit Windows is a non-issue at the present (and beta)
time. *But it's there* for the using once a real 64bit Windows is
available.

rms

Old June 27th 04, 04:56 AM
rstlne

"rms" wrote in message
. ..
How about that 64bit OS and Applications, all games run slower on
64bit cpu all of them

So what? the guy is considering the AthlonXP, which the Athlon64

beats
handily in 32bit. 64bit Windows is a non-issue at the present (and beta)
time. *But it's there* for the using once a real 64bit Windows is
available.

rms

the A64's are more expensive
Will a pr chip at 2800+ beat out a chip that can go straight to 3200+ with
no known issues.
Microsoft might make XP-64 a OEM product ONLY and try to keep end users from
buying it (this could be an issue to many people). If you think it's BS
then tell me where I can buy the XP Media Center Os.

What was suggested would cost the op 100$, and that'll let them get an extra
100$ in ram, or more towards a nice video card (in other words, the system
might just be faster than what they could buy in the a64 range)..

I am not saying we should stick with socket A but I do think it's good kit
for most people out there.

Old June 27th 04, 05:27 AM
Jake Smith

Well ill stick with SocketA for a while, and upgrade to the newer
mobile cpus , well thats if AMD release them, 2800,3000,3200 ?

Ill go 64bit when a OS is their and APPS and games take advantage of
it, just like the 16 to 32 bit conversion.

Oh well the times are a changing.

Old June 27th 04, 06:02 AM
rms

Will a pr chip at 2800+ beat out a chip that can go straight to 3200+ with
no known issues.

You are forgetting that PR ratings are not the same for Athlon64 vs XP.
An Athlon64 2800+ is probably about equal to a XP3200+ in 32bit. And you
can overclock Athlon64 just as easily as the XP on any of the newer boards.

Microsoft might make XP-64 a OEM product ONLY

Why would they do this?

rms

Old June 27th 04, 08:00 AM
Jake Smith

Does that mean it will only install on a dell and like with specific
hardware ?

And if i tried to install it it would not ?

That would suck, BUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUT, their would be iso's on p2p in
no time cracked and everyone would have 64bit Microsoft OS

So even if they do a OEM wont matter.

But why they would is funny to me, don't they want to make more money
?, i have read this in a few places.

See ya.